VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. My understanding is that remuxing is a way to copy the video and audio from one container to another with no loss in quality and is fairly quick to do.

I'm wondering if there's a tool or script + tool(s) that will cycle through all videos in a folder (of varying containers/formats) and output them to MP4 so they are playable by pretty much all devices (both Apple and non-Apple). The trick is, I'd like the conversion to happen via remuxing if possible, and transcoding if not, to retain as much of the original quality as I can, not to mention making the process happen in days rather than months.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If you have lots of mkv then try mkv2mp4.

I haven't seen any such script for all formats though. It would be very complex....easier is just to reconvert all avi, wmv, flv to mp4 with vidcoder.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for the reply.

I know it would be easier, but for a lot of them, quality would suffer, and to be honest, I would seriously expect it to take a very long time given the number amount of video it would be converting. I have about 2TB of video I'm looking to "convert".

I'm not opposed to doing a little scripting and using command line tools. I'm assuming there's a tool I can use (call from a script) to determine the format, then based on that, if it's a format I can remux, I call something like Xmedia Recode, passing it the necessary information, otherwise I call Handbrake passing it what it needs to encode.

It may be more complicated than that, but off the top of my head, those seem like the main steps.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!