VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Ok the other day I saw Godzilla Vs Biollante on an official dvd in a store. This was one of those that was in legal limbo as far as an official US release was concerned (post vhs that is).

So now that this is out is Godzilla 1985 finally next? Does this mean the legal battles are being resolved?

I have since acquired an import of it (not the bluray though, there is not a single movie that I would every spend 80.00 for ever - well not that I can think of). But I would love to have a US print of it in pristine digital glory.

I have only started searching for news on that.

In the meantime I might try to hunt again to see if the Japanese Bluray of Godizlla Returns is at a more reasonable price.

Edit - I saw the Japanese dvd of the "return of Godzilla" edition for 50 or so at yesasia.com with the bluray of the same movie near 70.00. That is still way to high for me for a single movie - I don't even think that edition has english subs - though I suppose its not that hard to find english subs for this particular movie.

I'm gonna try again for some other online retailers to see if I might get a better deal.
    Last edited by yoda313; 12th Jan 2013 at 22:43.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you are probably better off finding the vhs and capture them.

i grew up in the older godzilla/kong era. this was one of my favorites..

Last edited by vhelp; 13th Jan 2013 at 19:14.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vhelp
    you are probably better off finding the vhs and capture them.

i grew up in the older godzilla/kong era. this was one of my favorites..
    Nope already have it on vhs and have capped it.

Like I said I do have a digital import of it but its quality is so-so. Its not the Japanese bluray but like I said I'm not willing to spend over 50.00 plus shipping for any ONE movie. Box sets might be a different story but not a single movie. And not one that doesn't even have english subtitles that I can tell - though I'm sure they are online somewhere.

I'm just hoping that with the Biollante release they may finally crack the case of the Godzilla 1985 - Return of Godzilla legal conundrum and finally release a decent digital copy of it with digital surround sound. I don't care if its with or without Raymond Burr.

Oh and by the way Vhelp - I like the earlier hokey 70s Godzillas too where you can see the wires and stuff too Though the later ones are definitely of much better quality. Especially when you get to Godzilla 2000 I like the jets coming together and taking off in formation after striking G - somewhere in the middle of the movie, it has been ahwhile since I watched that particular Godzilla.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the only version i have is the original japanese "return of godzilla" with english subs. i do recall seeing the english remake on late night tv way back when....

Click image for larger version

Name:	vlcsnap-00028.png
Views:	7
Size:	291.9 KB
ID:	15918
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think that this will be out on Blu-ray/DVD for a long time. The problem with most movies is who has the rights to have them out on Blu-ray/DVD. Most of these smaller companies that came out with these movies are no longer around. It's either, Sony,Warner, MGM, or universal Studios. These companies are very careful in selecting which films will be released on either format. The smaller companies like screen archives, kino, lionsgate don't have rights to most of the films that we want on Blu-ray or DVD. Plus they will only release titles they feel will be big sellers for them. Godzilla 1985 may have Been a good monster film but they obviously think that it's not a popular title or that would be a big seller. The same thing applies to Godzilla returns. I see a lot of films that will be released on blu-ray but they still have on release dates on them. There must be over 100 films listed on highdefdigest.com that will be released but who knows when this will happen.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fredreed
    Plus they will only release titles they feel will be big sellers for them. Godzilla 1985 may have Been a good monster film but they obviously think that it's not a popular title or that would be a big seller. The same thing applies to Godzilla returns. I see a lot of films that will be released on blu-ray but they still have on release dates on them. There must be over 100 films listed on highdefdigest.com that will be released but who knows when this will happen.
    Yeah its a shame they don't see there is a market for it.

Again I'm not going to spend over 50.00 usd on any one movie. Box sets or super special editions with loads of extras are one thing. But not just for a single movie that would be pushing at least 70 with shipping or more depending on where you get it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well I finally picked up Biollante on dvd today, only 5.00 so might as well. It wasn't that bad. Though the music didn't quite work for me. It wasn't menacing enough or just seemed inappropriate for the type of movie it was in. I was thinking of the march theme they used. It was too superheroy.

I love the dark music in Godzilla 1985/returns. That is some of the best music in any of the Godzilla movies.

I'm still hoping that Godzilla 1985 or Godzilla Returns gets a proper US release someday. I can dream can't I? In the mean time I'll make do with the copy i do have which is decent but nowhere near a proper bluray print.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well I finally did it. I finally bought the Japanese bluray version.

I went yesasia.com again and it was actually only 60.00 instead of the 80.00 and up that I've seen. I know 60.00 is still crazy money for one movie that isn't any kind of box set special edition deal.

But I've wanted this in high def and surround sound for a long time so I finally decided it was at a reasonable enough price for me to pull the trigger.

I even popped for express shipping instead of the free international shipping it offers on over 30.00 purchases.

Even with that its not expected to ship until the 19th! Man what a bummer....

I know nobody really cares about this but me but I just thought I'd pass it along that I am finally getting the copy I want.

I only hope it plays in my sony bluray player or ps3. It is region a and region a bluray discs are supposed to play over here so we'll see.

Worse comes to worse I'll simply rip it and play it on my wdtv.

Now for the waiting to begin.....

Edit - I've got a birthday coming up so I decided this was the treat I was giving myself

Edit 2 - Ok now I see what the delay is - its been placed on order. SO they don't have it in their own warehouse but its been ordered to be sent. So thats a shame there is an extra delay but as long as I get it thats all that matters. And I just looked at its webpage for the movie and it didn't show any availability status on the main viewing page.

At least now I know what the wait is.
    Last edited by yoda313; 4th Jun 2013 at 19:18.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok thought I'd cut yesasia some slack. Turns out I was too overjoyed at the lower price that I misread its description on the product availaibility. It did say it usually SHIPS in 7-14 days. I think it what it was in my haste to order it I must have mentally read that as DELIVERED in 7-14 days not SHIPPED in 7-14 days.

So it was in writing before I started so I can't complain about that. I still have to wait for it in any case so that isn't changing.

But I can't wait for it once it does come.

Only downside is apparently it doesn't have any english subtitles. When I do mux it as movie only without compressing it I'll have to include a subtitle file.

But it will also be a good way to practice my Japanese (which only amounts to a few words and phrases) which I really haven't been working that hard on admittedly. But I do listen to my beginner cd some mornings on the way to work. Its sort of sticking.

Edit - ITS READY AND IN STOCK! ITS ALMOST READY TO SHIP!!!

I'll bump the thread when I get. Hopefully by the end of this coming week as I put in for express shipping.

THE WAIT IS ALMOST OVER!!!!
    Last edited by yoda313; 8th Jun 2013 at 08:45.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think that this will be out on Blu-ray/DVD for a long time. The problem with most movies is who has the rights to have them out on Blu-ray/DVD. Most of these smaller companies that came out with these movies are no longer around. It's either, Sony,Warner, MGM, or universal Studios. These companies are very careful in selecting which films will be released on either format. The smaller companies like screen archives, kino, lionsgate don't have rights to most of the films that we want on Blu-ray or DVD. Plus they will only release titles they feel will be big sellers for them. Godzilla 1985 may have Been a good monster film but they obviously think that it's not a popular title or that would be a big seller. The same thing applies to Godzilla returns. I see a lot of films that will be released on blu-ray but they still have on release dates on them. There must be over 100 films listed on highdefdigest.com that will be released but who knows when this will happen.
    this makes no sense to me. i mean, come on.. i recently purchased bluray disc of '30,000 leagues under the sea' for $5.00 dollars at k-mart. they have a ton of bluray movies at this price. this movie wasn't popular enough in my opinion. however, it was released ? the disc was released under Echo Bridge Home Entertainment. and there slogan is 'the entertainment alternative for what the world wants to see'. i didn't want to see this, i purchased bc of the $5 price and wanted to see if this was upsampled from 720x480 to 1080 or straight to 1080 or kept as mpeg2 or whatever and also to see what the quality would be like for this $5 movie.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I GOT IT! I GOT IT! I GOT IT! I GOT IT! I GOT IT! I GOT IT! I GOT IT!

Did I mention yet that I got it???!?!?!??!?!?!

YEP!

Actually it was out for delivery yesterday but I wasn't able to meet it but I got it today!!!!!

I was able to watch it on my sony bluray player! Yep the region a pressed disc from Japan worked perfectly.

Oh it is a beautiful sight and the 5.1 true hd surround sound is perfect (I only have a sd digital amp but still it ROCKS!!!). The visuals are great and it is so nice to have such a pristine widescreen print of it.

I am currently ripping it so I can encode down to 720p and include a subtitle file as this is in Japanese only with only Japanese subtitles.

I have a waited a long, long, long time for this. The wait is over and it is SOOOOOOO Worth it

Its even got the making of special on it. THough since its all in Japanese it will take a while to figure out where in the menu that was again.

This will be a good inspiration for me to pickup my studies more for my Japanese learning sessions.

I'm so glad the wait is over and I have it in my hot little hands

GODZILLA!!!!!!!

YEAH!!!!!
    Quote Quote