VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    The other week Amazon had the Best Of Both Worlds Van halen greatest hits album on sale and I bought it.

I love most of the tracks. I don't think I've ever owned a Van Halen album till now. Except of course a generic rock singles hits that had Eruption and Panama on it.

Which of the regular albums features the snythesizer the most? Or are they used on most of the albums or is it hit or miss?

I'd love to buy a full album that had more synth on it.

The one I think of the most that represents the synth I'm after is LOVE WALKS IN. I don't know which album it comes from.

I don't have a preference of David Lee or Sammy. I don't even know when each were part of the group. SO it doesn't matter which 'era' was more synth heavy if there really was a difference.

Thanks for any input.

And go ahead make fun of me if you want for liking Van Halen. I'm comfortable enough with who I am to admit I love the sound. Bring it!
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Most synth? I have no idea.
    I never really equated them with synth all that much. VH was more heavy, real 80s rock.

Sammy vs DLR isn't too hard to hear.
    The most obvious was that last guy they had, back around 1997 or so (Fire in the Hole).
    He was kind of crappy.

Last I remember, DLR came back. Then I think the band split? Didn't one of them die?
    Yeah, yeah, I could look it up on Wikipedia, but I've wasted enough time for today.

Every time somebody says "synth music", I think of the theme from Beverly Hills Cop.

Back to work ... and maybe some VH MP3s to listen to while I do!
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    Every time somebody says "synth music", I think of the theme from Beverly Hills Cop.
    AXEL F! Yep

Most synth? I have no idea.
    I never really equated them with synth all that much. VH was more heavy, real 80s rock.
    Well except for maybe JUMP that is Still a fun song but not exactly true to its roots.

maybe some VH MP3s to listen to while I do!
    GO for it!

Well there is one opinion leading to the idea that there isn't a real synth heavy album. If thats the case maybe I'll just be happy with my greatest hits set.

If anyone else has more input please let me know. THanks.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I always think of The Cars for integrating synth into good 80s rock.
    Cult
    INXS
    Duran Duran

Check this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_rock#1980s
    ^ Depeche Mode is one I had on mind, too.
    Devo
    Eurythmics
    Culture Club

... all good stuff.

There's several bands that I felt like they often used guitars to imitate that synth sound.
    Whitesnake
    Cheap Trick
    Bon Jovi
    Skid Row
    The Scorpions

I have songs from all these musicians on my various playlists and mix CDs.

I primarily listen to 80s rock and metal, and always have.
    If could crawl into a time machine, I'd go back to 1980 and live it all over again.
    Yeah, no internet, but it's a fair trade to have my favorite decade back again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Cult
    INXS
    Duran Duran

Check this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_rock#1980s
    ^ Depeche Mode is one I had on mind, too.
    Devo
    Eurythmics
    Culture Club
    All good choices there. Though for me personally depeche mode is more hit or miss on a good selection. Though I did pick up a few of their albums at garage sales this year - just haven't listened to em yet.

I actually am more of a child of the late 80s, at least that is when I was old enough to pay attention to music. Hence my intense loyalty and addiction to Roxette and to Phil Collins/Genesis (the Phil Collins Genesis era mostly, though I do have some earlier stuff that I can listen to and enjoy, mostly).

I also liked RATT - in fact the other week I bought INFESTATION on amazon. It was like a 80s throwback. Just the first few tracks are like a time capsule for what I like about 80s rock. Great guitar riffs and a heavy beat. Pretty clean and not too heavy or dark like a metallica. Though of course I do like ENTER SANDMAN. To be honest I think thats really the only Metallica song I know (don't even know if that was from the 80s, 90s then?).

Anywho, thanks for the recommendations lordsmurf. Definitely on the same wavelength there as I do like many of those groups. Though probably more from reputation than actually knowing any individual song from them.

I know inxs, duran duran and culture club fairly well. The other ones I couldn't tell you a song they made but I could nail the era and the feel pretty quickly.

Edit - yep whitesnake and bon jovi are probably what i would call my guilty pleasures The one whitesnake is great on the keyboard on rockband video game (xbox 360), damn can't remember the name, is this love or something like that, whatever one of the top 3 hits is.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Depeche Mode is one I had on mind, too.
    LOL!!

I have not heard that name in 20 years!!

This buddy of mine had one of their cassette tapes & played it so much I could not take it anymore!!
    I hated that shit!!
    So one day when we went somewhere in his car he put it in again and I was so sick of hearing it I took it out while we were driving,
    pulled some of the tape out of the shell, held on to the tape and threw the cassette out the window!!

That thing was a block long before it hit the end of the spool!!!!!
    LMAO!!!!!

He was pissed and I was LMAO!!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In 2007, the local rock station started to play Depeche Mode's "Personal Jesus" because of some new extended master that was released in 2006. That created an avalanche of other 80s rock, from INXS to The Cars. It petered out around 2009, and it's been back to the same old modern crap (or overplayed old crap) for the past year or two.

@yoda: In terms of actual songs (heavy synth in bold)
    • INXS - Need You Tonight.mp3
    • Depeche Mode - Personal Jesus (2006 Remastered).mp3
    • Depeche Mode - People are People.mp3
    • Duran Duran - Reflex.mp3
    • Duran Duran - Hungry Like A Wolf.mp3
    • Duran Duran - Is There Something I Should Know.mp3
    • Buggles - Video Killed The Radio Star.mp3
    • Culture Club - Karma Chameleon.mp3
    • Frankie Goes to Hollywood - Two Tribes (1983).mp4
    • Human League - Dont You Want Me Baby.mp3 <- pure synth rock
    • Nena - Luftballons.mp3
    • Information Society - Pure Energy.mp3
    • Devo - Whip It.mp3
    • Cars - Good Times Roll.mp3
    • Cars - You Might Think.mp3
    • David Lee Roth - California Girls.mp3
    • Joan Jett - Bad Reputation.mp3 <-- but only just a hint of it, in a few places
    • Loverboy - Turn Me Loose.mp3
    • OMD - If You Leave.mp3
    • New Order - Bizarre Love Triangle.mp3
    • Rick James - Superfreak.mp3
    • Robert Palmer - Simply Irresistible.mp3
    • S - Hey Mickey!.mp3
    • Talk Talk - It's My Life.mp3
    • The Vapors - Turning Japanese.mp3
    • Van Halen - Right Here Right Now.mp3 <-- or is that just piano?
    • Van Halen - Why Can't This Be Love.mp3
    • When In Rome - The Promise.mp3
    • New Order - You Spin Me Right Round.mp3
    Enjoy the playlist.

Tip: Don't listen the the U.S. English version of Nena, it's shit. Go for the original German.

Enter Sandman from Metallica is from 1990 or 1991, from the "black album". While ES is awesome, there are other good songs: One, Bleeding Me, Blackened, Master of Puppets. You're missing out! Trivia: I'm in a Metallica concert video, in the front row (more like mashed into the guard rails on the edge of the mosh pit). That was such a long, long, long time ago. I don't even like turning the radio loud anymore, much less doing that.

Last edited by lordsmurf; 30th Sep 2012 at 01:33.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @yoda: In terms of actual songs (heavy synth in bold)
    Nice. Thanks. I do have a few of those but not all. I'll get to checking them out later.

Enter Sandman from Metallica is from 1990 or 1991, from the "black album". While ES is awesome, there are other good songs: One, Bleeding Me, Blackened, Master of Puppets. You're missing out! Trivia: I'm in a Metallica concert video, in the front row (more like mashed into the guard rails on the edge of the mosh pit). That was such a long, long, long time ago. I don't even like turning the radio loud anymore, much less doing that.

Thats impressive.

Regarding metallica, not that I'm all purist and don't like any swearing in my music do Metallica songs have much over the top language in it? I mean I'm not overly sensitive to a lot of stuff but I really don't like songs where every other word is a f*** or s*** or a** and all that. One here or there I can get by with but its a bit distracting if that is all the song is about.

Like I said I think I only know one or two metallica songs so i don't know their style that much.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Off the topic of my head, I can only thing of two songs that would count as "swearing" in any way.
    And they have at least 100 songs.

(1) "Aint My Bitch" off the Load album, with "bitch" being the only objectionable word, and it's only said 1-2 times in the main refrain.
    (2) And then their old cover of "So What?" on the re-released S&M comp/cover album. "So What" has some pretty dirty lyrics. But it's a cover -- not one of their original songs. It's so bad that I would actually feel a bit embarrassed listening to it in front of all but 2-3 people I've known since I was a teenager, and they're also into metal.

I don't really listen to either of those songs very often.

Most lyrics have a pretty deep meaning, and are very poetic: One, The Unforgiven (parts I-III), Bleeding Me, Until It Sleeps, are some of my favorites.

Those poets you had to read in school have nothing on this:

Where do I take this pain of mine?, I run but it stays right by my side
    So tear me open and pour me out, There's things inside that scream and shout
    And the pain still hates me, So hold me until it sleeps
    Just like the curse, just like a stray, You feed it once and now it stays - Now it stays!
    So tear me open but beware, There's things inside without a care
    And the dirt still stains me, So wash me until I'm clean
    It's modern Poe.
    Note that it's not all doom and gloom -- this is easily the most depressing of their songs.
    They have fun songs, like the cover of Whiskey in a Jar:

Now some men like fishin' but some men like the violin'
    Some men like to hear - to hear the cannonball roarin'
    But me, I like sleepin', 'specially in my Molly's chamber
    Some days I'll work to a day-long playlist that's almost entirely Metallica.
    Last edited by lordsmurf; 30th Sep 2012 at 10:25.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Off the topic of my head, I can only thing of two songs that would count as "swearing" in any way.
    Great. Thanks. I'll look into metallica later than and add them to my collection at some point.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Bump

Information Society - Pure Energy.mp3
    Wow pure 80s right there I could have sworn this was depeche mode.

I'll be getting this from amazons mp3 store in a moment.

I'll also be going through some of the other suggestions later. Just haven't gotten around to this yet. Also I'll check out a metallica collection album if amazon has one, I'm sure they do.

Thanks again Lordsmurf.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    Great. Thanks. I'll look into metallica later than and add them to my collection at some point.
    Yoda if you want to listen some Metallica try the S&M album for something completely different.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @the coalman - thanks. I'm finishing up the first one now. It was unexpectedly slow for a group with Metallicas reputation. But it ends nicely. I'll check the rest out eventually.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    @the coalman - thanks. I'm finishing up the first one now. It was unexpectedly slow for a group with Metallicas reputation. But it ends nicely. I'll check the rest out eventually.
    There is few slow ones or partly slow. "One", "The Unforgiven" even going back to "Fade to Black" which is mid 80's.

Having said that they could play anything they want and play it well.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well I still haven't gotten to checking out more Metallica but I did pick up another Van Halen album. I bought their last album a different kind of truth on google music for just 4.00 or so the other day during one of their sales.

I have to admit its kind of flat in that none of the songs were particularly strong or anthem worthy. However each of them has a good riff or two and mostly decent vocals to make it a keeper.

Maybe someday I'll check out ebay or amazon for some used metallica cds.

Thanks everyone for the contributions to my ever growing music library
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well through some introductory offers and some freewheeling spending (keep in mind I listen to music all day at work so its not completely frivolous - I do listen to the stuff I buy) I have expanded my van halen collection ten-fold - or thereabouts.

I had already owned BALANCE on cd and last year picked up the Van Halen greatest hits two disc album as a mp3 download off amazon. Through my recent spree I have acquired the following:

A different kind of truth (actually purchased prior to this spree as mentioned earlier I believe)
    Fair Warning
    OU812
    Panama/Drop Dead Legs (a 4 track compilation)
    Van Halen 1
    Van Halen 2
    Van Halen 3

I also picked up a handful of Poison and Ratt albums. I am particularly fond of much of the Poison music - more so than I would have though. Athough I do have the cd FLESH and Blood which I really like so its not too surprising.

The Ratt songs aren't quite as pleasing to my taste but I like the rock nonetheless - though I guess its debateable how pure the rock is for ratt or certainly posion. But good music is good music and music is so personal that I can't really fault people for what they listen to - hey whatever you like right?

I haven't really listened to the Van Halen albums consecutively. THey are on my zune on shuffle along with all my other music. I do find I like the Sammy Hagar era tracks a bit more as they are a bit more lyrical and sing-songy if you now what I mean. Though I definitely can groove with the early stuff.

I'm sure its been discussed to death but it seems like a lot of the early Van Halen stuff has put the lead guitar in the right speaker (oops I meant LEFT SPEAKER - sorry). Is this deliberate or is it just something that happened? Or is it my imagination and not as persistent on Van Halen 1-3 as I think it is?

Anyhow - I still haven't picked up a Metallica album. Don't know why. I will someday.

For the time being I shall enjoy my new assortment of epic classic rock that I have missed over the years. Well not really missed more like incomplete as I have had portions of this from various sources but not full albums.

-------------

So in the end please keep the rock suggestions coming. I may not get to them in awhile or ever but its appreciated.

ROCK ON!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Ratt and Poison, now there is some teenage memories....

Here's some 80's stuff if you like that:

Now ladies and gentleman back to the good stuff.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @the coalman - thanks but that didn't really didn't do it for me. I appreciate the suggestion though.

FYI I did listen to most of OU812 consecutively this evening while doing some work on the computer and I think I found a new favorite so far for Van Halen. I haven't listened to enough of the albums from start to finish to know exactly the style I like the most (except for Balance which I definitely like quite a bit). However Ou812 has a great mix of synth and great riffs and singing styles that appeal to me to rate very highly on my personal best of lists.

Like I said there really isn't a "bad" Van Halen track just ones that aren't as catchy or anthemy as I might prefer.

Keep the suggestions coming thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Ever listen to Floyd yoda?

Tesla?

That particular album "Mechanical Resonance" is one of those rare gems where the album is good from start to finish if you like that type of music. They have another that is really good called Five Man Acoustical Jam.

Last edited by thecoalman; 3rd Mar 2013 at 02:10.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @the coalman - thanks.

Would you say that Pink Floyd track is typical for them?

That particular song is a bit reminiscent of the first half of Phil Collins In The Air Tonight. A bit dark and airy. I like it.

I guess I've never thought of checking out Pink Floyd. I think I've always thought of them in the vein of, I don't know, 'hippy music' I guess. But its good rock at least that track.

----------

And thanks for TESLA! I am not even done with the first track yet and I think I'll go pick up an album at amazon or wherever.

Thats definitely up my alley

They are a mix of ratt and journey and poison all rolled up in one.

I don't know if you've ever watched the first Bill and Ted's movie but there are some great tracks on that soundtrack that I do have. Its a shame but I think most of those groups were one offs for the studio.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I figured you'd like Tesla. If you like those two Tesla's songs just go buy the album Mechanical Resonance, if you like acoustic you'll like Five Man acoustical Jam too.

I don't know if there is anything typical of Pink Floyd Yoda, it's Pink Floyd. It's a mix of psychedelic, rock, jazz... etc. Certainly if you go back to some of their older stuff it could be considered hippyish. You have ro remmber Pink Floyd spans almost 4 decades.

You'll probably like this one:

If you like that one look up the Division Bell.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by the coalman
    I figured you'd like Tesla. If you like those two Tesla's songs just go buy the album Mechanical Resonance, if you like acoustic you'll like Five Man acoustical Jam too.
    I did that this morning right after posting - the mechanical resonance album that is.

I don't know if there is anything typical of Pink Floyd Yoda, it's Pink Floyd. It's a mix of psychedelic, rock, jazz... etc. Certainly if you go back to some of their older stuff it could be considered hippyish. You have ro remmber Pink Floyd spans almost 4 decades.
    Understood.

If you like that one look up the Division Bell.
    I haven't checked out division bell yet but I definitely like Take It Back. I had heard wish you were here before. though I don't know if it was that version or a cover by someone else. I didn't know it was Pink Floyd in either case.

If they have more like take it back I will have to look into it more closely.

I think I need to hold off on more music for now though.

Definitely keep the suggestions coming

Thanks for the info and links coalman
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The Division Bell is from '94 and their last album, as I said Pink Floyd spans nearly 4 decades so you're going to find a wide array of music. You might want to try Dark Side of the Moon, that is number 3 on the top selling albums of all time. Pink Floyd albums are generally concept albums and meant to be listened too from start to finish. You've probably heard quite a few Pink Floyd tunes like "Time" without knowing it.

Boston?

The self titled Boston album is another one with a lot of good songs on it.
    Last edited by thecoalman; 3rd Mar 2013 at 13:52.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You've probably heard quite a few Pink Floyd tunes like "Time" without knowing it.
    I'm sure there is a lot like that out there. Or knowing a cover version more than the original.

I'll check them out sometime. Though I'll probably try to look into Metallica before that.

As for Boston - yep got the greatest hits album so I'm covered there
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Don't laugh, how about some Twisted Sister

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Bump.

Well I did some garage saling today and got a few pink floyd albums. They were only buck a disc. I also picked up the Simple Minds album Once Upon a time and a few bon jovi discs.

The pink floyd albums are:

Works
    The Wall
    The Wall

I wrote the wall twice because I have two separate discs that both say the wall but aren't labeled disc 1 and 2. They just say the wall with different songs on both discs, thats weird. These are pressed original discs by the way.

I haven't listened to them yet but I'll be ripping them soon enough and I'll get to them eventually.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The Wall is like a single compostion hence the reason they may not be labled disc one and two... LOL. It's a story, there is even a movie.

The Wall is the eleventh studio album by the English progressive rock group Pink Floyd. Released as a double album on 30 November 1979, it was subsequently performed live with elaborate theatrical effects, and adapted into a feature film, Pink Floyd—The Wall.

As with the band's previous three LPs, The Wall is a concept album and deals largely with themes of abandonment and personal isolation. It was first conceived during their 1977 In the Flesh Tour, when bassist and lyricist Roger Waters's frustration with the spectators' perceived boorishness became so acute that he imagined building a wall between the performers and audience. The album is a rock opera that centres on Pink, a character Waters modelled after himself, with some aspects based on the band's original leader, Syd Barrett. Pink's life experiences begin with the loss of his father during the Second World War, and continue with ridicule and abuse from his schoolteachers, an overprotective mother and finally, the breakdown of his marriage. All contribute to his eventual self-imposed isolation from society, represented by a metaphorical wall.
    Bold is mine, they actually did that on stage. The fist disc will start out with "In the Flesh" and the last sang on the second dsic is "Outside the Wall", there is a few versions notably the live one that was released not too long ago and the roger Waters solo version. The original cover art is white bricks.

Here's the live version:

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @coalman - thanks for the info.

Should I be taking some kind of narcotic before listening to this album???????
    Quote Quote