VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello Mac users,

need some basic info about capturing FullHD (1080p) (incoming video signal HDMI) on Mac (input: USB/FireWire800). Is there any chance to buy some HDMI to USB/FireWire hub (converter) and software availability for Mac to capture the best quality as original (1920-1080)??? Or i need to buy those external Media Recorders????

I found this video it looks it works but there are some video shaking video during playback???
    Last edited by legionar2010; 10th Feb 2013 at 08:04.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Only HD cable boxes in the US are likely to output a MPEG-2 video stream over Firewire as shown in the You-Tube video. It is a legal requirement here, but not in the EU. By the way, the shaking in the video is there only because the presentation was recorded with a camera. The captured video stream is a perfect copy of what the cable provider transmitted.

You would need an Mac-compatible HD capture device like the Elgato Game Capture HD to capture the HD HDMI output from a set-top box, and likely an HDCP stripper as well, because most set-top-boxes boxes apply HDCP to their HDMI output.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 10th Feb 2013 at 08:18.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What is a HDCP stripper???

I have this media box as tuner and i recorded a football game but it's only for playback cannot export it because it's protected by the provider

Last edited by legionar2010; 10th Feb 2013 at 08:31.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by legionar2010 View Post
    What is a HDCP stripper???
    An HDCP stripper is a device that removes HDCP copy protection from an HDMI signal.

There are a few devices made for that purpose, which may or may not be legal for you to buy in your country. (They cannot legally be sold here.) There are other devices which remove HDCP as a side effect. A few converters and powered HDMI splitters have that effect (although not all can do it), but I do not know of a specific device to suggest to you.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    aha ok maybe it's not copy-protected. Basicly i need to buy those external HD capture device and maybe HDCP stripper. Ok thanx if anyone know more let me know please.
    Quote Quote