VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Everytime I start to process video file my computer shuts down, I have check and redone heat sink to processor check all connections and drives evrythings works fine until I process video files or DVD Help Help Pleassssssssss
    Quote Quote  
  2. I had the same problem with Vista. Moved up to Win7 64 and all is good now. But you may have other problems. What kind of Vids are you trying to create?
    Quote Quote  
  3. What program(s) are you using?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You said you changed the thermal paste. Did you also check the CPU temps with a program like HWMonitor? If the temps and voltages are OK, them maybe you have a RAM problem. That can easily cause a shutdown during video encoding.

Next question, how does it shutdown? Just go dead or do you get a blue screen? If you get a blue screen, have you disabled automatic restart in Control Panel? Otherwise you may not see the shutdown reason before the PC restarts.

Total shutdowns are more often a hardware problem. Check RAM first. Pull one module if you have two or run a RAM test like Memtest86.

Last, check your power supply for correct voltages.

Probably more possibilities, but tell us more.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Or power supply problem.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Could be any number of issues the OP hasn't done a good job of explaining the issue, only told us there was an issue and what the did to resolve the issue. We still have no clue as to what the issue may be only the result of the issue. The issue could be hardware related or software lets try to narrow it down.

What do you mean processing video, are you capturing, encoding or editing
    how are you getting getting the video, are you capturing if so via capture card, usb, firewire?
    What type of video, what programs, devices are you using?
    A quick test to eliminate possibility of hardware issues is to download and run Prime95 for a few minutes it will stress the heck out of your CPU and ram and identify potential problems.
    Last edited by dragonkeeper; 27th Oct 2011 at 13:50.
    Murphy's law taught me everything I know.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OCCT Perestroika
    OCCT (stands for "OverClock Checking Tool) is a CPU-RAM stability testing program FREE
    Its features :
    • 3 different test types
      • CPU = no RAM tested, alot of heat generated on the CPU, errors are usually CPU-centered
      • RAM = Maximum error detection, tests the whole chain CPU-Chipset-Memory
      • Mix = CPU and RAM alternated
    • 3 tests modes
      • Auto = 1h long Mix test
      • Custom (Infinite) = Infinite loop of the test type of your choice
      • Custom (fixed) = A test of the type of your choice, and of a duration of your choice
    • Integrated monitoring and System information thanks to CPU-Z and HWmonitor engine
    • External Monitoring Program support through plugins (Everest, Speedfan, and many more)
    • Graph output showing temperatures and voltages of your computer
    http://www.ocbase.com/perestroika_en/index.php?Download
    Quote Quote  
  8. In response to Mike2002: (or are you asking the OP)?

Sony Vegas Movie Studio 11
    Premiere Elements 8
    ImgBurn
    Quote Quote  
  9. Can you get an adult to write this for you?

You have provided virtually ZERO useful information.

What programs? Define "Process". What does work, and for how long? USE STANDARD TIME MEASUREMENTS, like minutes, seconds, or hours.

Anti-virus, defrag, tried more than one video, more than one type, has this always occurred, when did it start, did it ever work correctly, what changed, have you ever re-installed a CPU heatsink before, have you activated the smoke chips?

At this point best guess with the available information is that you screwed something up. It will not be possible to provide accurate answers, other than a lucky wild guess, unless YOU supply some useful diagnostic info.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Video processing / rendering is one of those tasks that is capable of maxing out a cpu.

Perform the following setup test.

1: In bios set the actual memory frequency ... do not allow "auto" to be used.
    2: Prior to rendering, in task manager set affinity for the program being used to 1 core only

Now try rendering again
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Bjs View Post
    1: In bios set the actual memory frequency ... do not allow "auto" to be used.
    I've seen this advice many times. What is the reason for it? Is it because the BIOS in some PC's
    do not properly recognize the RAM SPD? Or is the RAM SPD inaccurate ?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by TreeTops View Post
    are you asking the OP?
    Yes, as he was quite vague in his question.
    Quote Quote  
  13. OK sorry Mike. I notice that the OP has not responded yet.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have tried most editing and authoring programs and conversions I believe it's time for a new machine. I can connect to the internet and surface no problem, but if I try too do video or burn a disc system shuts down just go black I am using
    win7 32bit
    4gigs of ram
    seagate 1.2 Terabyte drive
    never had any problems before just started happen
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    sorry for not getting back sooner just had death in the family
    Quote Quote  
  16. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry for your loss.

If you can afford it, and you are working with HD video, you would definitely have faster results with a upgrade in CPU, and likely motherboard. (Going by your present Computer Details)

If you've completely given up on your present PC, then there are a lot of options. A quad core or six core are a couple. RAM quantity mostly depends on your operating system. If you use Windows 7 64bit, it needs about 8GB RAM. With W7 32bit, 4GB is all you can use. Intel or AMD, look at the options.

I've went with mostly AMD for the price advantage. My present PC is a six core and great for some formats like H.264. Some formats like MPEG won't see as much improvement, though a faster CPU will always help with any encoding.

If you want to try to revive your present PC, then more info would be needed. It still sounds like you have a hardware problem to me. But there are a lot of things that can cause shutdowns.

Anyway, let us know what you decide. Our members can likely help you with your choices. If you decide to go with a new PC, give us an idea of your price range to help with suggestions.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for all your help Just decide to buy a new system
    Quote Quote