VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A media player?? What do you mean by that? I have a blu ray already. It now plays the .TS video files. If I got a Blu Ray external writer would the resulting blu ray disc LOOK ANY DIFFERENT than my current .TS files that play off the Hard drive via the USB port on the blu ray player?
    1280x720 60P? Is that a setting available on my Camcorder?
    James
    Quote Quote  
  2. Since your BD player is playing your TS files there's no reason for any other player.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What is 1280x720 60P? Is that available to use on my Panasonic Camcorder? Or is this a setting that I can re-encode my 1920x1080 60P down to in order to play on my blu ray?
    James
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Jagabo. I guess the only reason to burn my files to a Blu ray disc is so that I can take it with me over to someone else's house and play it. But, I could just take the Hard drive itself (just a little bulky). OR I could put all my video on USB flash drive sticks. But that costs way more than a $1/blu ray disc. 1 32GB flash drive disc costs about $30. 1 25GB blu ray disc costs about 1$.
    James
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jbitakis View Post
    Thanks Jagabo. I guess the only reason to burn my files to a Blu ray disc is so that I can take it with me over to someone else's house and play it. But, I could just take the Hard drive itself (just a little bulky). OR I could put all my video on USB flash drive sticks.
    But there's no assurance other Blu-ray players will play your files. 1080p60 is not included in the Blu-ray spec.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jbitakis View Post
    A media player?? What do you mean by that? I have a blu ray already. It now plays the .TS video files. If I got a Blu Ray external writer would the resulting blu ray disc LOOK ANY DIFFERENT than my current .TS files that play off the Hard drive via the USB port on the blu ray player?
    1280x720 60P? Is that a setting available on my Camcorder?
    James
    OK I missed or forgot you got the 1920x1080 60p file to play after changing the container (remux) from m2ts to ts. This is very odd but at least you can play remuxed files on that particular player.

Playing off a Blu-Ray disc might work but as said 1920x1080 60p is not supported by the Blu-Ray standard. Also the Blu-Ray standard requires an m2ts container, not ts.

As for taking a 60p disc to a different player, it is unlikely to play but you might get lucky. You will need to test that player or take your own player with you.

I checked your TM90 cam spec. You only have choice of 1920x1080 60p or 60i.

If you want to make a Blu-Ray disc that will play on a standard player, you need to re-encode to 1920x1080 60i (aka 29.97 fps upper field first) with some loss or to 1280x720 60p.

Question: Do you now have an editing/authoring program that can encode and author for Blu-Ray?

PS: Your computer profile still shows a 1.4 GHz Celeron CPU.
    Last edited by edDV; 10th Nov 2011 at 19:21.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  7. By the way, there's no assurance that another Blu-ray player will play any bare file at all. All they have to play is Blu-ray authored discs. That means the M2TS file with the full structure that surrounds it.
    Last edited by jagabo; 11th Nov 2011 at 18:59.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well my recorded HD file ARE M2TS so if I get a Blu ray writer and burn them, then they should play on my blu ray player, and others for that matter.

I will update my profile. I have 2 newer laptops; 1 is a Sony Vaio with i3 2.1ghtz speed. The other one is a new one that I just bought, it is a Gateway with an Intel i5 2430M processor in it.

I have some encoding and authoring software, but I can't think of the name right now. Can you recommend a good one, that is free?
    James
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by jbitakis View Post
    Well my recorded HD file ARE M2TS so if I get a Blu ray writer and burn them, then they should play on my blu ray player, and others for that matter.
    No. They are 1080p60. That is not supported by Blu-ray. They will have to be reencoded with Blu-ray compatible properties: 1080i30 or 720p60 (along with a whole lot of limitations). Then they have to be properly authored. You can't just burn an M2TS file to a disc and expect Blu-ray players to play them. Just like you can't just write a VOB file to a DVD and expect DVD players to play it. Yes, some players will play bare files, but that's because they've gone beyond the official spec.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have some encoding and authoring software, but I can't think of the name right now. Can you recommend a good one, that is free?
    James
    MultiAVCHD. It is a UI over much other open source such as tsmuxer, x264 but probably isn't tuned for 1080 60p but maybe.
    http://multiavchd.deanbg.com/tutorial.php
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have MultiAVCHD. I also have tsmuxer.
    "They will have to be reencoded with Blu-ray compatible properties: 1080i30 or 720p60 (along with a whole lot of limitations). Then they have to be properly authored."?
    Isn't that what the Blu ray writer does??
    Also,The files ARE M2ts. They were recorded in 1920x1080. Earlier in my posts I described how the M2ts files were not being read on my blu ray player via the USB drive off of my external hard drive. And you told me about tsmuxer and I used it and "changed the container FROM M2TS to .TS and NOW my blu ray plays those video files via the USB off my external Hard drive.
    James
    Last edited by jbitakis; 11th Nov 2011 at 20:49.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have MultiAVCHD. I also have tsmuxer.
    "They will have to be reencoded with Blu-ray compatible properties: 1080i30 or 720p60 (along with a whole lot of limitations). Then they have to be properly authored."?
    Isn't that what the Blu ray writer does??
    Also,The files ARE M2ts. They were recorded in 1920x1080. Earlier in my posts I described how the M2ts files were not being read on my blu ray player via the USB drive off of my external hard drive. And you told me about tsmuxer and I used it and "changed the container FROM M2TS to .TS and NOW my blu ray plays those video files via the USB off my external Hard drive.
    James
    A Blu-Ray writer is just a burner. You also need authoring software and burning software to create a Blu-Ray disc.

Re: Blu-Ray players...you seem confused what a Blu-Ray player is/does

1. Plays authored* Blu-Ray disc (all)
    2. Plays authored** DVD disc (all)
    3. Plays authored*** AVCHD disc (some, most recently)
    4. Plays files off USB2 port (some, formats and containers vary)
    5. Plays files off HDD connected to USB2 port (some FAT32, some NTSF, formats and containers vary)
    6. Plays files directly off BD disc (some, formats and containers vary)
    7. Plays files directly off DVDR disc (some, formats and containers vary)

* see "What is Blu-Ray?" above left
    ** see "What is DVD?" above left
    *** An AVCHD disc is a different animal than AVCHD camcorder format.
    *** BDMV file structure and m2ts stream container required
    *** AVCHD disc max bit rate is restricted (minimum spec 17 Mb/s, max varies by player)

AVCHD Disc structure (media can be h.264, MPeg2 or VC-1 inside m2ts container)
    Menus are optional.
    MTS**** is the three letter reference to a m2ts container.

Name:  AVCHD-BDMV.png
Views: 640
Size:  10.1 KB

**** from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.m2ts
    Files in AVCHD format use legacy "8.3" file naming convention, while Blu-ray Discs use long filenames. That's why the filename extension of video files is ".MTS" instead of Blu-ray Disc's ".m2ts". Also other files use different extensions: .CPI - .clpi, .MPL - .mpls, .BDM - .bdmv.
    Last edited by edDV; 12th Nov 2011 at 03:40.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I know what a blu ray player does. I guess I was confused as to what a blu ray WRITER does. I do have the Authoring/burning software so if the AVCHD files need to be slightly changed, then I will have to do it.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by jbitakis View Post
    I know what a blu ray player does. I guess I was confused as to what a blu ray WRITER does. I do have the Authoring/burning software so if the AVCHD files need to be slightly changed, then I will have to do it.
    The M2TS file doesn't have to be "slightly changed". The video has to be completely reencoded with Blu-ray compatible settings.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Your 1920x1080 60p file is not Blu-Ray or AVCHD compatible. It needs to be re-encoded to 60i to make a standard format disc playable on other players.

If you are making an AVCHD DVDR disc, you also need to lower the bit rate 28Mbps -> 17Mbps to be "standard" although many players can spin faster for higher bit rate and more player noise. 17Mbps spins the DVDR disc 2x speed.

Someday the Blu-Ray standard may get a Version 2 allowing 1080 50/60p but those discs will not be backwards compatible to Version 1 players.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, but doesn't the blu ray writer "write" so that the blu ray player can play the blu ray disc?? If not what does it do?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, but doesn't the blu ray writer "write" so that the blu ray player can play the blu ray disc?? If not what does it do?
    A Blu-Ray writer is just like a (red laser) DVD writer except it also has a blue laser for burning BD-R and BD-E media.

It also doubles as a Blu-Ray/DVD player even for encrypted discs when used with appropriate software players and display cards. HDCP to the monitor is required.
    Last edited by edDV; 13th Nov 2011 at 01:05.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by jbitakis View Post
    A Blu-ray writer is a dumb device that writes data to a disc. That data can be anything, a Word document, JPG pictures, database files, spreadsheet files. In order for a Blu-ray player to understand it's a video and play it, it has to be a video with specific properties and include a bunch of supporting files.

Think of it like a pencil. You can scribble anything you want on a piece of paper. But if you want someone to read and understand what you wrote you have to write in letters, words, and sentences.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    And that's what the Blu ray authoring software is for, so that the video can be played ok on the blu ray player, correct?
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by jbitakis View Post
    And that's what the Blu ray authoring software is for, so that the video can be played ok on the blu ray player, correct?
    Yes. But keep in mind there are two types of "authoring": data and Blu-ray movie. You need to use the latter.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    And of the the latter there are two variations, a formal Blu-Ray or an AVCHD disc (simplified structure, optional menus, restrictions if DVDR media is used*).

* see MultiAVCHD tutorial
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK thanks
    Quote Quote