VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I am looking for a way to archive my emails in a Word or PDF file.
    I want to take a few hundred emails and join them into a single text file.

A free one would be nice but willing to pay if I have to.

I saw these 2:
    http://www.coolutils.com/TotalThunderbirdConverter

http://www.convertzone.com/all/email%20chat%20news%20tools/email%20converter/abc%20amb...0to%20word.htm

As I am not familiar with either program I was looking for a recommendation or other software option from someone who may have had some experience with this.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I've used ABC Amber Thunderbird Converter to do exactly this before.

Was kind of no-thrills, but did what I needed it to. Wasn't free though (although you can get a fully functional trial I believe).

There is a way to do it for free using the Thunderbird extension ImportExportTools, but it involves importing to Excel and then outputting to PDF. See here:

https://nic-nac-project.org/~kaosmos/mboximport-en.html

(Note I haven't used this method).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That actually works great. I like the export to html option.

on another note....
    May of these emails had the subject lines branded with [?? Probable Spam]... I believe this may have been from when I used Kaspersky in the past. Is there a way to remove that in Thunderbird so the exported document does not have that included in all the subject lines?

Simple if I export as a text file as I can simply find and replace to eliminate all of them in a second... but as fort the export to HTML that is a different story.

Thanks for the help Wissen.
    Quote Quote  
  4. You're welcome - was thinking about using this method myself in future, now I definitely will

BTW, not sure about removing the [?? Probable Spam] in Thunderbird, but you could do this with a simple Find and Replace in the Excel or HTML document you export to, prior to converting to PDF.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The find and replace would be easy enough in excel or the text method.
    But when you export to html you get an index file with a page that has links to all of the separate emails that have their own html file in another folder.
    The index file is nice as it lists your subject, to, from, and date and simply click on what you want to see.

The only thing with that is though if you have any attachments in your email they are not saved with any of the above methods.

To save the attachment you have to export as eml but you also get a web based index file to browse through the emails which would then launch your email program when clicked on.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Sounds good, despite the limitations. I'm well overdue for a Thunderbird backup, I'm going to give this a whirl. Thanks for the info!
    Quote Quote