VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I made this up for bumper music between sets, but haven't tested it for danceability, just want to build a buzz during breaks. Any pro DJ's here? Sick? or Sucks?
    Last edited by budwzr; 28th Aug 2011 at 23:33.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OK, so nobody likes it. Because it's clean and has no explicit lyrics so it's boring, right?
    Last edited by budwzr; 31st Aug 2011 at 04:25.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Nope! Just that nobody's very interested! Try asking your friends what they think.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, I've noticed that. Not a lot of interest.
    Last edited by budwzr; 31st Aug 2011 at 20:48.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just happened to be reading an old "Sound on Sound" article "Mix Rescue - Feb 2010" - I thought this bit might apply.

Avoiding The Plod
    It’s tricky to keep the groove of programmed drums turning over smoothly unless you inject a little bit of ebb and flow into them. In urban and dance styles, this is often achieved by laying a sampled break over the programmed beat, but if your beats are totally programmed it pays to work in a little extra phrasing to avoid the plodding sensation that can arise if there’s no variation at all.

You've created an A section. You need to create B and C and possibly D (and beyond) sections as well. Without a compelling vocal or instrument solo, the listener's ear will tire after 8, possibly 16 bars. The drums don't vary for the entire 3:11 duration of your song.

You can repeat the A section, but you need to change it up.

Just my opinion.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Is that the Rick Snoman book?

Yeah, that's my main problem. I can't break it down yet, I get stuck. Adding vocals helps, but as you say, it becomes tiresome.

Thanks for the feedback.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    "Sound on Sound" is a UK music technology mag that I like to read. One of their regular features is "Mix Rescue" - readers send in their tracks and they pick one every month to help out.

Here's the link to the article I was quoting, although it's not completely relevant to your track, as they were rescuing a hip hop tune:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb10/articles/mixrescue_0210.htm

I get stuck at the same place you're stuck. To get unstuck, I stop listening to Section A and start working on Section B, trying to use the same collection of loops and samples (bpm, too) to keep it in the same vein. Repeat for other Sections.

I don't get inspiration and ideas in a linear fashion. They seem to drift in at irregular intervals and different levels of importance. I keep everything, because you never know when something you did a year ago will fit in to a new project.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Cool, I'll check it out.

I save everything too because sometimes it's hard to remember how to recreate it, because when I'm in "musical mode" my brain switches out of computer mode, hahaha, if that makes sense.

Alright man, you got me motivated, thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  9. To mechanical. You need some ambient sounds in the background and you need to vary the beat.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by magillagorilla View Post
    To mechanical. You need some ambient sounds in the background and you need to vary the beat.
    Yeah, that's what the other guy said.
    Last edited by budwzr; 9th Sep 2011 at 22:32.
    Quote Quote