VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have finally decided to convert my cd's to a computer media, and maybe dump the disks. I am living abroad and need to be a little more portable. Is there a very reliable (preferably free) program that will:
    1. rip the files from the cd
    2. convert them to more than one file format
    3. convert them to more 2 of the same file format with different quality levels?

In one step?

And is there a way to check to see if all of the files are good without opening each one and listening to it all the way through?

I have more than 100 cd's to process
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    CDEx will certainly do one and maybe two. Not sure about three.

No, there is no way to check that the files are OK without listening to them.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Haopengyou,
    I have contemplated that for years. I'd really like to rip my CDs to FLAC and 256 MP3. I think EAC will allow you to call a batch file and run an encoder. You could encode the RIP to MP3 then call a batch to run FLAC. Check out EAC (Exact Audio Copy) it's a powerful tool. It will also search for artwork which is a nich feature for a freeware application.

"I have more than 100 cd's to process"

I have 2,500 CDs to process..... eeeeeeeek! I need to declutter my life. Don't even get me started on my vinyl problem. I've contemplated getting one of those robot CD changers so I could stack up my CD and automate the ripping. Unfortunately I don't have $4000 laying around. Maybe I could make one out of legos or something.

here it is: http://www.kintronics.com/mfdigital/ripitquickDT.htm

and this guy at a resonable $1400 : http://www.mfdigital.com/ripstation.html
    Last edited by magillagorilla; 9th Aug 2011 at 09:22.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    dbpoweramp cd converter can use accurate rip to check online if it's a good or inaccurate rip.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  5. OK, it's been several years since I looked for an autoloader. This one is in the ballpark http://www.amazon.com/Acronova-Nimbie-NB11-Loading-Duplicator/dp/B002ITN3F0/ref=sr_1_5...2901353&sr=1-5

Under $500, now my credit card is burning in my pocket. 100 CD autoloader, I could have my junk ripped in less than a month. ooohhh boy, how much trouble do I want to get in to with my better half this week.

Does dbpoweramp have auto features? I've seen a few apps that claim to just start ripping on CD load.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    interesting problem...one I might take enough interest in to provide some aid in.

From the hardware side if I had the money I'd invest in a full tower & a bunch of SATA DVD drives rather than a loader...because if a drive dies it's not that costly to replace...granted it wouldn't be as automated as using a loader...but risk would be less.

I'd use AutoIt rather than a batch script...for a number of reasons...one of which is that it can poll a drive to see if it's ready or not.

If DBPowerAMP can provide a readable value for whether a rip is good via command line or gui...without having to parse a webpage I'd certainly use that...as AutoIt could grab the value ether way...actually it could parse a webpage...but I hate doing that (more time involved in trial and error).

Anyways I'd expect DBPowerAMP could ideally rip right to FLAC...which then could be reprocessed to AAC or MP3 in whatever bitrate flavors you would want.

The only tricky part might be in loading DBPowerAMP onto a single core for each session when doing a multi drive rip.

Course dealing with the boredom of popping discs in one after another would suck. hehe but it would be better than ripping one at a time.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Auto IT you say eh? Never used that. I'll look it up. I usually use EAC for ripping. It has a small CLI. I did consider building a stack of optical drives but.....

Least expensive drives I can find are $14 x 10 = $140
    Then you can't chain 10 drives on 1 SATA port so I'd go with SATA to USB harnesses at about $14 x 10 = $140
    The SATA USB adaptors I've seen come with little AC adaptors
    5 port USB HUB $5 X 2 = $10
    Plywood to lash the drives to = free from my garage

so we are in the $290-320 range

It's only $490 for the robot. Bet I can find one used for $300 or less.

THE OFFICAL AUDIOIT SITE IS INFECTED! My antivirus just went nuts on that page. Looks like an elicit scanner on that URL. Stay off of it.
    Last edited by magillagorilla; 10th Aug 2011 at 21:55.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah the site does seem to be hacked right now.

You can grab a copy over at FileForum which downloads clean. Hopefully the site gets cleaned up soon as the forum is priceless...tons of good help there on nearly anything you can think of...coding wise that is. Just don't ask for help writing a gaming bot.

You can pick up ether PCI or PCI-E 4 port SATA controller cards for $20-$50; so two cards and you should be in biz...USB would also bottle neck badly doing batch rips.

So for $180 or $240 provided you already have a full tower...you can rip like a mad man...and do cheap replacements as needed.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Haopengyou View Post
    I have finally decided to convert my cd's to a computer media, and maybe dump the disks. I am living abroad and need to be a little more portable. Is there a very reliable (preferably free) program that will:
    1. rip the files from the cd
    2. convert them to more than one file format
    If you rip to a lossless format (wave, flac, etc.) you can do other formats from that at your leisure, using a batch script, say.
    Faster and simpler than trying to do them all from the disc.

Note that flac supports metadata (tags), so be sure to get all that encoded, and then something like dBPowerAmp can convert the tags when making other formats.
    Quote Quote