VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    There should be no difference.
    Actually I did notice something this bluray should improve. My set has only presets for "COLOR" that the thx setting says to adjust. In this test I changed the individual blue until it showed the same intensity. I have RGB setting options but not a whole slider for COLOR alone.

I suspect using the color filter template and the filter cardboard strip I should get a finer adjustment out of it.

Edit

I like the contrast patterns it has. I was able to get a real fine level of difference setup.

What I don't understand is the color correction. The thx setup was ingenious with the word color but as I said i only manipulated the blue as I dont' have a full color slider only an independent rgb slider (1 for each). So I dont' know if I was over saturating the blue or not.

I currently have each rgb set to 40 out of a 50 point scale. I popped in my Star Trek (the jj abrahams movie) bluray and it looks stunning. Better than I ever remember a bluray looking on my tv.

But as happy as I am with the changes I've made I wonder if I'm doing the color settings correctly. I don't think having all three set to the same number is appropriate - even if it looks good.

---------------------------

I'm trying to follow the video instructions on using the filter sheet. What they don't mention is whether or not the red and green levels need to be zeroed out before manipulating the blue levels. Also I'm not sure how "uniform" the "blue" levels are supposed to be. The test pattern I'm using only has two blue blocks.

Should each white block (while looking through the blue filter that is) be of the same intensity? Is that what they are referring to?

----------------------------

edit 2 -

Does this mean I can't make a truly accurate color adjustment on my set?'

http://www.videoessentials.com/DVEQ&A.php

4) When I properly adjust the Color and Tint controls using the blue filter the red and green don’t look right. My set has controls for red, green and blue. Can I use these to correct the errors in the red and green?

No. The controls you have most likely found are for setting the color of gray, not fixing the errors in the color decoder. The fix for the decoder may be in the user menu system where there might be a choice of ways to decode the color information. Some TV sets have a fix for these errors in the service menu. A well trained technician should be brought in to make these adjustments.

I don't know if I have the same question as what is listed for "4" but I wonder if I have real color control or not.

Is there a way to find out? I don't waste too much time fooling with a setting that might not have "true" benefits.

I do like this bluray. It is very informative. It has some history on the development of using color in tv. This is the stuff I've been learning slowly over the years through this website and mainly picking EDDV's brain on this intricate stuff that most people haven't even stopped to think about. (not to discount the help of other regulars like redwudz, lordsmurf, cornucopia or jagabo et. al just eddv was first to come to mind).

This will actually be quite enjoyable to get more into the hows and whys of this stuff. I'm glad I got it.

edit 3 - for my personal record:

cinemotion - on
    3d comb filter - medium
    deinterlaced - on for (i) source
    noise reduction - low
    brightness - 19
    contrast - 38
    saturation - 40
    hue - 23
    sharpness - 4
    backlight - 50
    user color control - red green blue all to 40

Also I can't seem to get the blue and gray on the smpte color scale to match looking though the blue filter. I can get cyan and magenta to match the small boxes under them so they become the same intensity.

I've changed the red green and blue to different settings and can't seem to get the outside blue/gray bars to match in intensity.

Is my set not sensitive enough to make this change?

If it isn't I'm still very happy with the changes I have made to it. I've watched a bit of MATRIX RELOADED on bluray with my ps3 and have been extremely satisfied with the results. The picture is so sharp and vivid (not the accurate technical terms but relative terms I'm using to describe the results). I would not have imagined these results possible.

Mind you I did not think my set looked bad before using the slightly modified presets (mostly brightness adjustment and color to neutral). But these contrast tweaks and hue changes seem to have raised the bar that much more.
    Last edited by yoda313; 17th May 2011 at 09:04.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote