VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. OK, so I'm sick of my dozens of binders and not being able to find a movie when I want to watch it. I have approximately 4,000 dvds and have decided I'd like to ditch the discs and put them onto hard drives for access via the Nationite HDVP-2 I just bought (similar to WD HDTV, Patriot Box Office, etc.). I realize this will be a time intensive task but I still want to do it. My question is how to do it without losing any video/audio quality (or at least how to do it without significantly losing any quality). MakeMKV seems to be an easy option but there is minimal size savings compared to just ripping the dvds back as ISOs. Can someone recommend software and settings for converting to mkv where I can experience minimal quality loss similar to the various mkv blu-ray rips that are easy to find online? Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Staxrip and Handbrake are the most popular free and simple dvd to mkv h264 convertes. You need to decrypt with separate tool like dvdfab decrypter or install anydvd.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Converting 4000 discs is a big project. If you convert four discs every day, you could be done in three years, by which time the RAID you bought will look seriously overpriced. You could learn how to write a good database and catalog the lot in much less time.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    While I don't have anywhere near the 4000-DVD-sized collection you have, I'll mention what I've done and you can determine whether it has any worth in your situation.

I use Handbrake to rip to H264 (at around 1100kb/160kb, A/V) and end up with files around 1.5GB for an average movie. Of course, I'm using a Mac so VLC's presence in the App folder permits Handbrake to use VLC's decryption routines. The quality is fine (I have a 720p TV). Sometimes I tweak the settings a bit depending on the movie—something like Gladiator needs about 1600kb V because of the motion.

4000 movies at 1.5GB = around three 2TB drives. Don't forget about backing them up because you don't want to have to rip them again, right? So budget accordingly.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does Staxrip and Handbrake have AC3 passthrough? If not, you could use Virtualdub 1.9.X-test30 with external encoder to encode to 264 and pass through the AC3 audio.

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/VirtualDub-1.9.X-test30.zip

Here is a guide to create the encoder sets.

http://forums.virtualdub.org/index.php?act=ST&f=3&t=18840&

The arguement used for the x264 encoder is...

--crf 21 --preset medium --tune film --demuxer raw --input-csp i420 --input-res %(width)x%(height) --fps %(fpsnum)/%(fpsden) -o "%(tempvideofile)" -

but to speed up the encoding process, you could change it to...

--crf 21 --preset superfast --tune film --demuxer raw --input-csp i420 --input-res %(width)x%(height) --fps %(fpsnum)/%(fpsden) -o "%(tempvideofile)" -
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks to everyone for their advice. I've used Handbrake before to make mobile versions of stuff (mostly .mkv downloads) and was wondering what the optimal settings would be for my purposes (thanks rumplestiltskin, I'll try those settings).

It's been a loooooooooooong time since I used Virtualdub (maybe five years ago when I did some .avi processing). I'm willing to give that a try if it means keeping the original audio of my movies, but what would the best settings be? thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I did some tests using Badaboom on a i7 920 system going to MP4 from a Video_TS folder and it was running over 100fps and taking about 22 minutes on average with everything set to high quality. 640 by 480 and if the input was high quality the output was OK (Watchable). Not what I'd use to archive of course. I'll still be using DVD DL for my HD captures. And converting those for the WDTV media player I can get lots more on the drive this way and I'm happy with the quality.
    If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Constant Gardener View Post
    You could learn how to write a good database and catalog the lot in much less time.
    i agree totally. For me it would be just too time consuming. I started doing the same thing...using ANT movie catalog... and havent looked back
    Quote Quote  
  9. The biggest problem with any database including ANT is the time to enter all the titles and give them a index number so that they can be located easily. JMHO
    If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Part of our motivation in giving advice is to help find ways to make things better for folks. Here, usually, it involves a suggestion of tools and steps to take. But I feel like REALLY making your life better by offering this: LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO BE ENCODING 4000+ MOVIES FOR LATER REPEATED VIEWINGS! Get outside! Enjoy the fresh air!

If you're sick of dozens of binders, de-clutter your life by throwing out all but the top 50 of your favorite titles (the ones that inspire repeated viewings), and then encode each remaining movie whenever you're going to be away from the computer (like bedtime).

There are not 4000 movies in existence that are worth wasting your life over. Consider this your intervention.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Hi Guys,

This may be a bit late, but I have a dvd & Blu-ray collection of over 5000 and I have all my discs stored in Sony 400 dvd players. I only use them as a library station and they are all hidden behind a custom made cabinet. I use Collecterz Software and I have the machines numbered 1, 2, 3 etc. Each slot represents a catalog number. So Unit 1 / Slot 250 is Kung-fu Panda etc. I have 14 units that can hold 400 each, that's 5600. I simply add machines as I go and update my software as I add new movies. It's awesome to cross reference any way I want. I can select by genre, actor, year, format, etc. My kids love it because I have all my movies sorted by holiday's too, so at Christmas time I can select all Holiday movies.

I recommend to anyone that this is the easiest way to store, catalog and watch any of your personal movie collection. Not to mention that you can buy these sony machines used for about $150. Trying to back them up on a server is insane, because any given disc is 4gb to dual layer 8gb. I keep all of my cases in boxes in my garage, so if I upgrade a movie because of anninversary or director's cut, etc. I can resell the old one's on websites that buy used dvd's. It helps pay for the machines. I add about 300 movies a year, from old movies I find to new releases.

I can also print out any list I want, I can even load in future releases and keep track of them when they come out weekly so I can buy them. And because I only use them as storage devices, they also hold all my blu-rays... all 1000 of them.

This is really the only way to handle any large movie collection. I highly recommend it.

Good luck
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the problem is, they've only made 100 movies worth watching
    Quote Quote  
  13. Actually I have to say that's not the case. I would say there is about 1000 movies that you should watch before you die. The others are just for entertainment purposes.

Remember, acting is considered and art and all depends on what you like. For instants, I really like ballet and opera, well I have over 400 in my collection. Concerts, why pay hundreds to go see your favorite artist, In a blink of an eye I can pick one of over 300 concerts in my collection. How about watching your favorite tv show, well I have over 800. So it's not just about movies, there is a whole world at my finger tips.

That's what makes having a collection fun. I have access to the very first invention of film by Edison to today's latest movie release's anytime I want. I can also convert them into digital files and take them on the go.

Quote Quote