VideoHelp Forum

Poll: How do you cool down on a hot summer day?

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I use a fan when it gets really hot which is the case now.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Here in oklahoma the temps have been in the high 90's with heat index's (what it actually feels like to your body) of 103-105. I've had my A/C going for a while now. Have my electric on average billing so that my bill is the same every month. Let's me keep the house cool in the summer months without having to worry about the outrageous energy bill. What's sad is that here we haven't even seen the hottest part of the year yet. Late july and early august are usually the hottest times of the year here.
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
  3. I turn on the ceiling fans. It's rare for it to be unbearably hot here in the Pennsylvania mountains. But there are window AC units in the computer room and master bedroom; they get used occasionally.

We have had a few hot dry weeks lately.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It was 107F here today. I stayed inside most of the day, but my car also has good AC, so not a problem. When it hits 117F, then I don't spend much time outdoors. But I have a fairly efficient heat pump AC system, and ceiling fans in every room, so comfortable enough.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've only used the A/C once so far this summer.....we've been lucky that the trade winds have been around....so the fans are good enough....but when the trade winds are not around then we get what we call kona winds (southern winds) which means humid conditions......that's when the A/C is needed because it becomes so unbearably hot and you sweat coming out of the shower.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Where I live,(California central coast) the early summer morning temp is usually in the 50s or 60s F. By early afternoon it could reach 110F. while the temp at the ocean (only 15 miles away) could very well still be 60F. A quick motorcycle ride to the ocean on one of those days usually requires 1 or 2 stops to add clothing on the way there and 1 stop to remove clothing on the way back.

As far as the AC goes, usually don't need it as long as I close all the doors and windows by 9am. By 8pm its cool again.

Oh, just a short edit to include the word B E E R

Tony
    Last edited by cal_tony; 12th Jul 2010 at 12:51.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I am in a cooler climate than other areas, but have the heater on at the moment as it can get down to about 15F when it snows at this time of year

When it is summer though it will average about 95F and I just use an air cooler. I hate the cold and want to move sometime soon.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Ceiling fans in every room.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Opening a Window here in the UK is pretty much enough.

I surf though so generally going to the beach is the best idea for me on a hot day (or even when its not!)
    Quote Quote  
  10. It rarely gets hot (+30 C) here near Vancouver, but there's our back yard, the local park, a neighbor's pool, and a rather large river within walking distance.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    AC
    Beer
    Ceiling fans
    Less clothes (shorts + t-shirt)
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post

A part of me is very glad you decided to add that in brackets there!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Fans, and ice water to drink, plus a cold bath or shower.
    Quote Quote  
  14. We have an above ground pool in the backyard which gets used a lot when it's hot. We don't have AC, just ceiling fans in most rooms and a fan in the window in the living room.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  15. One or two 250mm fans + a rheobus is the key for a successful cooling (your case and yourself !) in a hot summer day i say
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why is the Fahrenheit scale still prevalent in the USA? What's so special about it? Why can't the Celsius scale be used as in the rest of the world? I suppose, if so much screaming and dragging had to happen to, say, usher in ATSC HDTV, much less would be required to switch over to deg C, no?
    So, these days, noontime temperatures in the shade here in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia average 48 to 50 deg C. Airconditioners ARE essential fixtures; not to have them is NOT an option, and they run full blast all the time. I guess the Saudis don't feel as guilty as those elsewhere when they currently have the biggest share of the world's known oil reserves.
    I, as with all those around me, stay cool by being indoors all the time. The only time any outside air blasts my face is during that short walk from the building to the car (which will take at least 5 mins from a baking start to a more sanguine 25 deg C interior).
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by turk690 View Post
    Why is the Fahrenheit scale still prevalent in the USA? What's so special about it? Why can't the Celsius scale be used as in the rest of the world? I suppose, if so much screaming and dragging had to happen to, say, usher in ATSC HDTV, much less would be required to switch over to deg C, no?.
    Everbody in the US under the age of 60 knows the metric system. The metric system is in use here along side our traditional measurement system. However, the use of the Fahrenheit scale in daily life is a custom which most US citizens choose to continue practicing. We are as entitled to practice a harmless, if irrational, custom, as anybody else.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 14th Jul 2010 at 19:39.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    Fahrenheit works fine, thanks very much.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  19. Silly question, HAVE A BEER!
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fitch.j View Post
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post

A part of me is very glad you decided to add that in brackets there!
    LMFAO
    Me thinks G)-(OST is spot on..
    " Who needs Google, my wife knows everything"
    Quote Quote