VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. [url=http]text[/url] Denvers Dawgs's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Ok so i just installed the latest update for windows defender KB915597, and after installing it my XP pc kept restarting after about 2 mins of running. So I did a System Restore back to Monday (2 days ago). And everything is fine now. Has anyone else had this problem after the installation of KB915597?
    What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity....
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I hope you aren't depending on Defender for protection, because, IMO, it's about useless for that purpose.

But if you do a internet search for ' KB915597 problems ', you will see quite a few hits, so apparently you aren't the only one with problems.

I'm assuming if it is flawed, MS will withdraw it and post a update version.
    Quote Quote  
  3. [url=http]text[/url] Denvers Dawgs's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    For protecting my PC I have McAfee Suite (firewall/anti-virus) and Spybot. I installed Defender just as another tool, not really relying on it solely.

What do you recommend for protection. What do yo use?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Spyware Doctor & Rising Personal Firewall/antivirus
    Quote Quote  
  5. Uninstall or disable Defender and use Avast anti-virus and SuperAntiSpyware.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by MOVIEGEEK
    Uninstall or disable Defender and use Avast anti-virus and SuperAntiSpyware.
    I Agree. I've never been a fan of McAfee myself.
    I use Avast, Superantispyware, and Malwarebytes (for some of the really stubborn nasties). Cleaned out many customers computers with the above software.
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
  7. [url=http]text[/url] Denvers Dawgs's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    forgot to mention Super. I've never had a problem with McAfee, never missed a virus for me yet. Plus I get the suite free from my ISP. I'm most likely removing defender when I get home.

MOVIEGEEK & freebird73717 do you use the free version or Pro version of Super
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Denver Dawgs
    I've never had a problem with McAfee, never missed a virus for me yet. Plus I get the suite free from my ISP.
    I'm glad it is working for you and that you get it for free. If you ever have need to look for a new antivirus I would suggest Avast though. I have found that avast works just as well and has a much smaller memory footprint than mcafee or nortons.

MOVIEGEEK & freebird73717 do you use the free version or Pro version of Super
    I use free version. Works well enough.

The diffrences between the paid and free versions are the pro updates automatically, the free doesn't, and the pro version checks for threats in realtime, the free doesn't, you can also scan at user defined times too with the paid version, the free version is a manual scan.
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
  9. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Personally, I use Avast, SpyBot, Spyware Blaster, Comodo Firewall. This is with my Vista computers. Since I've been running Vista, not once has Defender found anything. But the other programs have detected and stopped malware. Defender is still running though, as it may be very difficult to remove. But I don't depend on it for anything.

A bit OT, but I also don't depend on the Vista Firewall either. It works, but by default, only on incoming packets. Outgoing packets that may be 'phoning home' for their installed malware are not blocked at all.

But back to the OPs question. I see the KB915597 in my Vista update folder. I'll go ahead and install it and see what happens.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by redwudz
    Personally, I use Avast, SpyBot, Spyware Blaster, Comodo Firewall. This is with my Vista computers. Since I've been running Vista, not once has Defender found anything. But the other programs have detected and stopped malware. Defender is still running though, as it may be very difficult to remove. But I don't depend on it for anything.

A bit OT, but I also don't depend on the Vista Firewall either. It works, but by default, only on incoming packets. Outgoing packets that may be 'phoning home' for their installed malware are not blocked at all.

But back to the OPs question. I see the KB915597 in my Vista update folder. I'll go ahead and install it and see what happens.
    You would need to configure the firewall to set up the two way functionality. I have used Defender, but it has not found anything before.
    Believing yourself to be secure only takes one cracker to dispel your belief.
    Quote Quote