VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I am using Thunderbird for my email. Comcast is my ISP. There are several contacts in my address book that are Comcast as well. But for some reason everytime I send my brother an email I get a message with 'Delivery status notification' in the subject line.

Here is a copy of one of the emails.

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients is still underway after 6.5 hour(s):

* ****@omcast.net

Will keep trying and contact you if the message can't be delivered permanently.

Reporting-MTA: dns; QMTA03.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net [76.96.62.32]
    Received-From-MTA: dns; OMTA02.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net [76.96.62.19]
    Arrival-Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 11:55:09 +0000

Final-recipient: rfc822; ****@omcast.net
    Action: delayed
    Last-attempt-Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 18:22:39 +0000

Now the thing is...he gets every email I send but I receive this notification anyway. This only happens with him and not any other Comcast user in my address book....any ideas?
    I was going to call Comcast and ask if it could be a problem with them but I doubt they would help as I don't believe they support any Thunderbird problems.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I just noticed something after I posted this.

I put the **** in the email name to hide his address but it say @omcast.net and not @comcast.net....the C is missing.
    It is correct in my address book and like I said he gets the emails....don't know if this means anything or not...
    Quote Quote  
  3. I don't use Thunderbird, but I had a similar problem with Outlook. Everything looked correct, but I received similar delivery errors (and my recipient likewise received everything ok). I ended up deleting and re-entering the contact and the problem disappeared. Might be worth a try.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, I deleted the entry and just left it deleted for now.
    I sent 2 emails (manually entering the address).
    I'll see what happens....
    Quote Quote  
  5. Doesn't sound like a Thunderbird issue. The email provider is sending the message so I'd say it's on their end. TB won't generate a message like that.
    Quote Quote  
  6. The error message is from Comcast, but that doesn't rule out a problem in Thunderbird. My interpretation of what is happening is that every time he sends an email to his brother, Thunderbird tries to send two emails, one to the correct address and one to an invalid address. The correct one goes through and the invalid one causes Comcast to generate the error. The directory entry looks OK, but that doesn't rule out corruption. That's why I suggested he try deleting and rebuilding the entry. Hopefully, he'll report back as to whether his test worked or not.
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A whois check shows that "omcast.net" does indeed exist, and it's somebody in Hong Kong. Perhaps a duplicate message is getting generated (either by T-bird or OP's ISP) and OP's ISP is trying to deliver it to "omcast.net", but they aren't accepting mail. That would mean that the error message is actually coming from OP's ISP, not from the intended recipient's ISP (and they both happen to be comcast).

Steve
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I sent out about 6 emails to him last night and they seem to be ok so far. I did get one more notification today but is said it has been trying to deliver for about 32 hours and it has not been that long yet since last night so that has to be from an older one...

Ok wait....decided to check on something and this is weird.
    I have 5 emails in my inbox from my brother and they say that they are from 'omcast.net'...although I know for sure that they are from him and I have replied to 2 of them. So there were probably others like this but I don't hang on to emails long unless there is something important in them.

I am starting to wonder if this is a problem on his end....this is why nothing bounced from him last night, because theses were new emails and not replies....

<edit>...he is at my house now...he has not seen any of the emails that I have replied to that have 'omcast.net' in them. Something has to be messed up on his end.....
    Quote Quote  
  9. Yup, that new information changes everything. It's probably a typo in his account settings.
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gadgetguy
    Yup, that new information changes everything. It's probably a typo in his account settings.
    Can it be that simple though...if he had that typed wrong in his settings would it still go through? Wouldn't that make it easy to hide your email address from people? Anyway, he is going to check it out and your probably right. He said he was making some changes on his pc probably right about when this started happening
    Quote Quote  
  11. It IS easy to hide your email address from most people. I have several email accounts, but I have the return address on all of them set to display my aol account. There are ways to determine the actual address that it was sent from, but the return address shows what's typed in my account settings.
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, well, that was simple enough.
    He fixed his settings

I wonder how long I would have tried to fix this if I did not notice that missing 'C'

Thanks guys!
    Quote Quote