VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello all, I'm a first time poster so please go easy on me..

I need your help, My son decided he wanted to wash our camcorder in the paddling pool the other day, I wish he would of asked me first as I would of told him no..!

Anyway he washed it and now it doesn't work! as I expected.. I have since sent the tape off to see if it could be saved (still waiting to hear back) anyway following this event I decided to buy another camcorder and back up all my DV tapes on DVD to stop this from happening again but when I put the tapes into my new camcorder the sound quality is really poor the voices sound mechanical and there is a constant cracking sound, I know the tapes worked fine in my old camcorder as I have watched footage back.. So my question is does the camcorder encrypt the sound in anyway and if so can it be recovered? Both camcorders are Samsung the latest one is a newer model as the old one is no longer available..

Please help me..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the only thing i can think of is that the new camera may be set at 16bit pcm audio and the old tapes are 12bit pcm audio (or the other way round). there may be a way to change it in the camera settings.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Are the tapes recorded using LP?
    John Miller
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello Thanks for the help so far, please keep it coming..
    I have tried changing the setting to 16 bit etc and it hasn't made any difference.

I think the tapes were recorded on in LP if that helps?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Unfortunately, many times tapes recorded in LP mode only play back correctly in the camera they were recorded in. If you have access to another DV camera you should try that tapes in that as well and see if it sounds better.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks I'll try them in the farther in laws when he returns from holiday.. fingers crossed..
    Quote Quote