VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am trying my best to change the booktype to dvd-rom. But I get this message from Imgburn. Unknown: (no way to query current setting). I am using Verbatim 2.4x DVD+R DL and a Samsung TS-E552U External DVD writer. Is there something I am doing wrong. I try to change the setting and it does say I am successful but it still says the unknown message. Can someone help?
    Quote Quote  
  2. No idea, but dvdinfopro http://www.dvdinfopro.com/ will confirm the booktype at least. I guess you can open Imageburn and look at the right side window after it reads the disc as well. BTW with regards to the Samsung TS-E552U, I believe you need firmware US06 or higher to support bitsetting.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm unfamiliar with Imgburn, but FYI book type for DVD+R blank discs won't show as DVD-ROM and will only show that book type after burning. All burners I know of automatically set DVD+R DL media to DVD-ROM; for SL DVD+R media book type must be set by the user if the drive supports it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have burned with IMgburn and Nero 8....both work fine in my computer and xbox 360 but not on any of my standalone dvd players which are a Memorex (tv with built in vhs/dvd) and a Sansui (a vhs/dvd combo). Both report back with the message "Incorrect Disc".

So I am frustrated. Any help would be awesome.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by BrokenOne
    I have burned with IMgburn and Nero 8....both work fine in my computer and xbox 360 but not on any of my standalone dvd players which are a Memorex (tv with built in vhs/dvd) and a Sansui (a vhs/dvd combo). Both report back with the message "Incorrect Disc".
    Look on the left side under DVD players to see if your standalones are able to playback dual layer discs. They just may not like them and/or the discs you're using.
    -The Mang
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ^You might be right. I just paid for these (48 bucks for 20 discs) and wanted to use them. I guess I will just use them for data.

Isn't there a way to trick or hack the dvd player into reading it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ^You might be right. I just paid for these (48 bucks for 20 discs) and wanted to use them. I guess I will just use them for data.

Isn't there a way to trick or hack the dvd player into reading it?
    My mother-in-law bought a cheap GPX DVD Player for around $28 and it plays anything you throw at (DVD/VCD/SVCD), even cheap "sub-standard" dual layer discs. Maybe make a small investment in a player that can handle dual layer and possibly Divx/Avi like a Philips player. I believe their new model even plays WMV. Do a little homework by reviewing others' comments. My Philips DVD 5982 plays most anything (not WMV) and I'm been very happy with it. If you have a Micro Center anywhere near you, you can pick-up 20pk DVD+R DL Verbatim spindles for $27.99 I was just there last weekend and all they had at my location where made in Singapore packs, which is what people here prefer.

Good luck.
    -The Mang
    Quote Quote  
  8. Here is a utility that will allow you to check the booktype of any +R DVD:

booktype management v8.4.exe
    You can change booktype only if the disc is still open(unfinalized).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MOVIEGEEK
    BenQ has a neat utility that will allow you to check the booktype of any +R DVD:

booktype%20management%20v8.4.exe
    ImgBurn does the same just by having a disc in the tray. Click Mode menu, choose any mode other than Ez-Mode Picker. Scroll down the window on the right. If you chose Build Mode, click the Device Tab and scroll down. It lists the booktype towards the bottom.
    -The Mang
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by louv68

ImgBurn does the same just by having a disc in the tray. Click Mode menu, choose any mode other than Ez-Mode Picker. Scroll down the window on the right. If you chose Build Mode, click the Device Tab and scroll down. It lists the booktype towards the bottom.
    True but the utility I posted doesn't have to be installed and it can change booktype if the disc is still open.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Moviegeek,

Does it support all writers capable of bitsetting, or just certain ones?

From your original post, you said the utility could "check" the booktype of any DVD +R disc, which is why I stated ImgBurn could do the same.

Why wouldn't someone have ImgBurn installed on their PC? It is the best burning software, free or payware! I got rid of Nero a long time ago. What a piece of crap!

EDIT
    Not only can ImgBurn check the booktype, it can also change it for supported drives.
    -The Mang
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

So I am frustrated. Any help would be awesome.
    Your standalone dvd players are probably not equipped to playback DVD+R DUAL LAYER MEDIA especially if they are older models. You may just have to buy a newer model dvd player that has the capability to playback DVD+R DUAL LAYER MEDIA.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can also change it with Nero Discspeed (formerly called CD/DVDspeed). Click Extra then Bitsetting and change your booktype there. Of course, as was said, you can't check it until the disc is burned.
    I love children, girl children... about 16-40
    W.C. Fields
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wow thanks for all the replies guys. I should have done some homework before buying the discs. Dumb on my part but now I have enough stuff for backing up my system and storing more data. I really appreciate everyones help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The booktype is an option for DVD PLUS media only, and is firmware dependent!!!

So, your only real chance is to browse sites like codeguys and search for an better firmware.
    Don't try to crossflash if you have no idea about it.
    *** Now that you have read me, do some other things. ***
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by [_chef_
    ]The booktype is an option for DVD PLUS media only, and is firmware dependent!!!

So, your only real chance is to browse sites like codeguys and search for an better firmware.
    Not necessarily, it depends on the drive. I have owned Liteon, NEC, BenQ, LG and Pioneer burners and my Pioneer 115D was the only one that I had to crossflash to allow bitsetting. The LG 4167 was done with a command line in the start up sequence and the other 3 were done with CD/DVDspeed (now Discspeed). So there are work-arounds, crossflash would be my last resort.
    I love children, girl children... about 16-40
    W.C. Fields
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ricoman
    ]The booktype is an option for DVD PLUS media only, and is firmware dependent!!!

Not necessarily, it depends on the drive. I have owned Liteon, NEC, BenQ, LG and Pioneer burners and my Pioneer 115D was the only one that I had to crossflash to allow bitsetting. The LG 4167 was done with a command line in the start up sequence and the other 3 were done with CD/DVDspeed (now Discspeed). So there are work-arounds, crossflash would be my last resort.
    If it depends ion the drive, it also depends on the firmware, and vice versa.

You dont even need to "crossflash" a Pioneer to achieve that. DVD+R DL is booktyped BY DEFAULT. +R is enabled by Buffalo firmware OR by using MCSE!
    But this thread is about a Samsung/TSST external usb................... So things are different, therefore i pointed to the codeguys site! C0deKing & Kanalratte know the score!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

You dont even need to "crossflash" a Pioneer to achieve that. DVD+R DL is booktyped BY DEFAULT. +R is enabled by Buffalo firmware OR by using MCSE!
    But this thread is about a Samsung/TSST external usb................... So things are different, therefore i pointed to the codeguys site! C0deKing & Kanalratte know the score!
    *** Now that you have read me, do some other things. ***
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!