VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello.

I have around 20 mini DV tapes and I want to transfer them to DVDs. I know how to capture the footage (DV avi) and how to edit it. What I want to know is which encoder to use. I prefer quality over speed and I don't mind if I have to pay a fair amount of money (less than $100) or if the encoder is part of a suite that can edit, encode, author etc. The only thing I want is quality.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try FAVC
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanx

According to a txt file I found in the FAVC_106.zip file, FAVC is a gui that uses free software to do the job. For the encoding it uses either QuEnc 0.72 or HC 0.22.0.0. So you actually propose to me to use one of this 2 encoders for the best quality. I remind you that I want the best encoding quality for DCavi to mpeg2.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    HCEnc produces very good quality output. That is the encoder I use.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    QuEnc also produces good quality output.

If you're determined to spend money, there's TMPGEnc, Procoder, and CCE (cinema craft encoder). Some people swear by each one of those; others swear at them.

If you want quality, only put one hour on each DVD - i.e. encode at the highest allowed bitrate for DVD. That makes the difference between encoders much smaller. 8Mbps from the worst of these is better than 4Mbps from the best!

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by guns1inger
    HCEnc produces very good quality output. That is the encoder I use.
    The answer is probably yes, but do you have tests you can show comparing it to TMPGEnc 2.5?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A couple years ago I used TMPGEnc to encode avi files captured from a vcr player, using the video in port of my graphics card. The results were satisfying. Later I bought a camcorder with passthrough capability and I used it to capture from the same vhs tapes. I got some DV avi files with clearly better quality. I used TMPGEnc to encode these DV AVIs to mpeg2. Since the source was better I expected better results, but I was disappointed. The mpeg2 files I got from DV avis were worst. I thought that TMPGEnc had some problem with DV avis but maybe I should had used different settings.

That's why I'm asking for an encoder with good quality for DV avi source.

@2Bdecided I don't mind to spend some money, but I think procoder you are suggesting, is too expensive.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    tmpgenc does some nice work when used properly, but is the slowest encoder in existence. I haven't used it in years because there are faster alternatives that produce just a good quality. Yes, I believe HCEnc's quality is as good, if not better, than what tmpgenc 2.5 produces. However it is not as easy to use at first, and doesn't have the built in filters that tmgpenc has. However, if you are an avisynth user, this is not an issue, and the speed difference more than makes up for the inconvenience you have the first couple of times you use it.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!