VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have been processing my videos in Premier Elements 4, but as we all know they are such a wonderful software that would hang on you every few minutes !!!

Now, I found the joy with Sony Vegas with their trial version, although initially I prefer the Premier settings. Now I am loving it.

However, I have done a lot of work in Premier Elements 4. I have the original files in 640 x480, 1.333 aspect ratio. Now, when I export in the settings allowed in Premier Elements 4, I have those big ugly bars on the sides, top bottom or both when viewed in sony Vegas. Compared to the other unprocessed avi, they have a bigger side bars.

Anybody could assist me on this please. What are the best export settings to retain the original so that all my videos look the same in sony vegas ???

I wish I have started with Sony Vegas but I have spent about a month on editing plus learning Premier Elements !!!

Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  2. PS; I used the microsoft avi with no compression !!! does it matter ? I tried the microsoft DV, I think they give the same issue ???
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Check your project settings. They are probably set to the default, which will be DV (either 720 x 480 or 720 x 576). They are probably under File -> Project Settings (I use Vegas, not Studio, so they might not be in the same place).

What exactly are you planning to do with the output ?
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I think I solved this issue with keeping non progressive settings.

Now, I have another issue. with my original files in 640 x 480 and actually square pixel after I double check the properties ...

In Sony Vegas, what are the settings to use ? Should I match the original file or should I use 720 x 480. I do not seem to have issues with Premier Elements 4 qwhen I used 720 x 480 when I tested the DVD quality and did not see any bars on the sides on 4:3 tv.

So, what are the implications of each method, that is keeping 640 versus 720 ????

I think if i keep 640 as the frame size, would I get bars viewing of tv in wide angle format ? Could I test this in computer monitor when I play back the DVD at all ????

Thank you

Sorry If I am asking too many silly questions ????

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you are outputting for DVD then you don't want 640 x 480. The non-square pixel equivalent is 720 x 480, however this is NTSC resolution, so you need to choose a framerate to match. If the source was a still camera's video function then you probably have 30 fps. The logical output therefore would be NTSC 720 x 480 @ 29.970 fps.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks Gunslinger ...

Yes, your guess is correct about the source and it is also correct, that it is for a DVD. It is from the digital camera, which is 30fps. So, in Sony Vegas Pro, if I set it to template NTSC DV, I should be fine ? The selection is set at 720 x 480 Lower field first and NTSC DV pixel aspect ratio, 0.9091.

Would it be better to maintain the field order to progressive in this case since the source is progressive ...

How about Deintelace method ? Should I use or not ? Pixel format, should it be 8 bit or 32 floating ? Is bigger necessarily better in this case ???? Compositing gamma, linear or video ? what are the differences ?

I just want the highest resolution for the project before I start. I could always reduce I think but to upgrade would take more work I would have assumed ...

Thanks heaps ... I have more questions on Sony Vegas Pro ... as I really need to get this done . been too longggggggggggg ,,,

I am yet to learn the software but I could move around easily without crashing on me at least ...

I miss the track matte in PE 4 though, which I think it is kinda similar to cookie cutter which is more cumbersome to use I think. How do you actually zoom in on the video or make the video size smaller to get the picture on picture effect ???

Best regards
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You don't need to deinterlace because your source is progressive. Tell Vegas your source is progressive. You have to output interlaced, as NTSC 29.970 fps is interlaced, however in reality each field will come from the same frame (OK, there will be some slight drift over time because of the fractional change in framerate).

There is no point working in a bigger frame and then reducing the size because your source is so low in resolution to begin with. The same with zooming in. It ain't going to look pretty.

However if you do want to zoom in your should look at Event Pan and Crop, and Track Motion. These will let you zoom, pan and relocate the image around the frame.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There are several ways to set up the project. You could import 640x480 into a 720x480p 29.97 project or define a 640x480p 30fps square pixel project and edit like film. I'd do the latter, then encode to 720x480 after editing.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by edDV
    There are several ways to set up the project. You could import 640x480 into a 720x480p 29.97 project or define a 640x480p 30fps square pixel project and edit like film. I'd do the latter, then encode to 720x480 after editing.
    Thank you for that. I just want to start right. You give me the answer.

Best regards
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by guns1inger
    You don't need to deinterlace because your source is progressive. Tell Vegas your source is progressive. You have to output interlaced, as NTSC 29.970 fps is interlaced, however in reality each field will come from the same frame (OK, there will be some slight drift over time because of the fractional change in framerate).

There is no point working in a bigger frame and then reducing the size because your source is so low in resolution to begin with. The same with zooming in. It ain't going to look pretty.

However if you do want to zoom in your should look at Event Pan and Crop, and Track Motion. These will let you zoom, pan and relocate the image around the frame.
    Thanks for the tips. What do you mean bigger frame ??? What I want to do is mostly reducing the frame size so that I could have multiple videos/still on one view without cropping. I think you have suggested Event Pan and Crop as the solution which I would have a look at. I have not worked out what it does yet. Also I need to work out the track motion. Thanks heaps for your help so far so that I could move on working without disruption from the software crashing.

Peace
    Quote Quote