VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Set me free, why don't you, babe? You don't really love me. You just keep me hanging on, you dirty rat.

Not only Vanilla Fudge fans will hear echoes this morning of the anthem that ran through the first part of last night's Sopranos finale. Creator David Chase cut to black, to end his TV masterpiece 100 percent unresolved.

Cut to black? Cut to black after a scene so loaded with tension it was more delicious than the onion rings at Holsten's – "best in the state," according to Mr. Anthony Soprano, and who would know better?

Cooler heads, and I'll bet, when the dust settles, most viewers, will savor the rings, and with them, the genius of an ending that set up every one of the signs of Mafia doom, without pulling the trigger.

Nondescript Baseball Cap Guy will forever be drinking coffee in that booth. Gray-Jacket Mook's permanently in the bathroom. The hip-hop gangstas will always be standing at the jukebox. Nobody's whacking anybody.

And our loving family, because you had to see last night, finally, that that's what they are, will forever be ordering the All-American burger special with homemade ice cream for dessert, after Meadow's parking problems proved just to be ineptitude, and not the horrible coincidence that would leave her either the only survivor, or the only victim of final, horrible carnage.

The odds against Tony are still stacked high. Carlo's talking. There's an 80 percent chance of an indictment. "Damn, we're going to win this thing," the FBI man exclaims after hearing that Soprano rival Phil Leotardo has shuffled off this mortal coil. (Lucky for him – and us, thank you, Mr. Chase – that he was denied the pleasure of seeing Phil's grandchildren driving over their Pop Pop's head, which popped.)

But, "trials are there to be won," Tony's lawyer tells him. The Boss certainly overcame a passel of problems last night, barely breaking a sweat.

And from all the deep well of music, so often obscure, plumbed by The Sopranos, he punched the box to play Journey's "Don't Stop Believing," the finest of the power ballads, as clichéd and delectable as those onion rings.

That midnight train goes to anywhere, maybe even to the oft-whispered Sopranos movie in the future, but do you really think that Chase, who has ridiculed so much of contemporary American culture, will opt for the corny concept of closure?

We leave Uncle Junior, who once ran North Jersey with Tony's father, befuddled. Sister Janice will find another husband. She's good at that. Paulie Walnuts - nyah, nyah, all you conspiracy buffs - declares, "I live but to serve you, my liege."

It's not all right, Ma, and it never will be with son A.J., even if his hot baby girlfriend does dig Dylan, and even if he does remind us at the end to focus on the good times.

But even if Dad's done bribing the sniveling son, sister Meadow, starting at $170K after law school, will be around to help out, whatever her parking skills. Nobody's following in Daddy's footsteps because his whole world – misanthropic Chase invites you to make it as big as you like – is fading.

"This is New York's famous Little Italy," barks the Gray Line guide on the passing tour bus. "It once covered over 40 square blocks, but has now been reduced to one row of shops and cafes." Leotardo's henchman can't even walk the length of a short cell phone call without finding himself - where else? - in Chinatown.

Some, like Paulie did with the orange cat that was maybe Christopher's ghost, will want to club Chase for not tying it all up. But I'll take the cat's point of view, staring at the ghosts in my television, purring in admiration.
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
  2. What a lame ending...I want that hour back!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    <----- Has never even watched one episode.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by zzyzzx
    same here
    Believing yourself to be secure only takes one cracker to dispel your belief.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Dv8ted2
    Originally Posted by zzyzzx
    same here
    Ditto
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gadgetguy
    Originally Posted by Dv8ted2
    same here
    Ditto
    Tritto.....

I mean DITTO....
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I watched part of one, all I remember was that there was some good looking naked babe for like 30 seconds.

Now, The Sheild, there is a show!
    IS IT SUPPOSED TO SMOKE LIKE THAT?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313
    same here
    Ditto
    Tritto.....

I mean DITTO....
    <--- Quatrutto...
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I have seen all episodes and I love it...or the last ~3 seasons wasn't as good as the first seasons though . The ending was no surprise, tony either killed or an indictment.

And if you haven't seen it what the f*** are you doing in this topic then?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick
    I...And if you haven't seen it what the f*** are you doing in this topic then? ...
    Is that f*** as in fornicate? :P
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by SquirrelDip
    same here
    Ditto
    Tritto.....

I mean DITTO....
    <--- Quatrutto...
    Fifthtto!
    1f U c4n r34d 7h1s, U r34lly n33d 2 g3t l41d!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    fithto??? Oh no what have I started????
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    great show -- one of the best ever on tv ......

the RICHES is also pretty good

Rescue Me started out pretty good , but has jumped the shark
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MeDiCo_BrUjO
    Originally Posted by SquirrelDip
    same here
    Ditto
    Tritto.....

I mean DITTO....
    <--- Quatrutto...
    Fifthtto!
    Make me number 6. I once watched a partial episode that almost put me to sleep. From what I saw, it was a show attempting to cash in on the continuing popularity of the Godfather films ... and doing a lousy job of it. Tony Soprano ain't no Vito Corleone.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by AlecWest
    Originally Posted by MeDiCo_BrUjO
    Originally Posted by SquirrelDip
    same here
    Ditto
    Tritto.....

I mean DITTO....
    <--- Quatrutto...
    Fifthtto!
    Make me number 6. I once watched a partial episode that almost put me to sleep. From what I saw, it was a show attempting to cash in on the continuing popularity of the Godfather films ... and doing a lousy job of it. Tony Soprano ain't no Vito Corleone.
    Would that be... Sixtto????

1f U c4n r34d 7h1s, U r34lly n33d 2 g3t l41d!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I stopped watching when I realized they were going to leave the escaped Russian story line completely unresolved.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by Faustus
    I stopped watching when I realized they were going to leave the escaped Russian story line completely unresolved.
    Just imagine that he got whacked and it is resolved.:P
    Believing yourself to be secure only takes one cracker to dispel your belief.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Faustus
    Just imagine that he got whacked and it is resolved.:P
    No I'm sure that will be a totally special "DIRECT TO VIDEO" release and charge 20.00 for 1 and 1/2 hours
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A friend of mine is big into this and as he explains it:

A few shows back, Tony had questioned what it's like to be whacked - answer was that it's probably you don't feel anything and things just get quiet and go black. Hence the last show - fade to black...

(I'm paraphrasing - I've never watched the show...)
    Quote Quote