VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I live in what is basically OVER the edge of the tech world in Dallas. We get nothing until its at least 20+ years old. Heck I can remember we first got call waiting. Its not that long ago!

Anyway Charter is sending out flyers offering DIGITAL cable to us. So I call to ask a few questions.

Can you give me broadband? No. Why Not its a digital cable system right that should be easy? No answer.

So can it do like on demand style downloads and stuff? No. why not? Not I'm really confused.

So in what way is this cable digital? Is it any different then the 20 year old system thats been there all along? No answer.

Boy I just love companies.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Digital cable is dramatically cleaner than Analog cable, huge difference for video capture.

However, you may get low-bitrate type artifacts, I remember one explosion that had a very cartoonish swastika-like arrangement of blocks in the middle, very noticeable. This tends to be worse late at night.

The folks at my local cable co did not know what a SPDIF was, once explained they stated they did not have such equipment. Except the demo unit in the lobby had one, and another guy in line was returning a box with the SPDIF jack. A tech did tell me that there was no 5.1 audio, only 2.0.

Digital cable opens up the possibility of Internet broadband, if they don't have it now they probably will soon. In my area, DSL is much cheaper.

So do the covered wagons get through Indian country with supplies on a regular basis?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Nelson37
    So do the covered wagons get through Indian country with supplies on a regular basis?
    BAH. Not much to the north of me is DFW with cable and DSL, to the west is DSL, not far to the south is DSL or GOOD Wireless.

But me? crappy wireless company is my only option. I especially love how when its not during business hours everything goes to hell during heavy use areas and also all night long.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i have some digital bridges for sale

"Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Bah Humbug. Just get a TV or DVD recorder with a digital tuner and put up an antenna.
    Quote Quote