VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've been writing a DVD authoring GUI as an extension to a photograph management program I started something over a year ago. I've produced a number of satisfactory DVDs with it and would welcome anyone able and willing to give it a try. The program is open source (but no project is yet set up on SourceForge etc) and written in Java. Although the whole thing is cross-platform, the DVD authoring module requires the usual command-line tools - spumux, dvdauthor, growisofs etc - so is limited to Linux unless all these are available on Windows (as if I care). Please visit

http://www.eclecity.net/mediacity.html

and feel free to post here or mail me at gt@onepost.net with any comments or requests for help. I guess I'm occupying much the same space as QDVDAuthor and Varsha; I only started the exercise because neither did what I needed.

[Note: Mediacity is a Java Web Start program. On some systems it'll run from its web page, but if not, install Java 1.5 then type

<Java Install Directory>/bin/javaws http://www.eclecity.net/mediacity.jnlp

The program should fire up right away.]
    Quote Quote  
  2. Great! I'm going to install it on my slackware install now! I really like GUI for DVD Author for win32, unfortunately I can't get it to work correctly in wine. I haven't been a big fan of Varsha, QDdvdAuthor, or DVD Styler in linux. I'm happy to see another gui out there!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Did u ever get this to work?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by bayvista
    Did u ever get this to work?
    I'm not sure who the question was aimed at, but as it's been two years since I popped into this site I'm answering it on my own behalf as the author of Mediacity, the software in question.

I use the program on a regular basis but although it's on my website as a free download I'm not aware of any other users. If there are any they keep quiet. My system is SuSE, currently at 10.1, and the program requires Java 5 or above.

If you have any questions or would like to try it please get in touch. I haven't done much development since I moved a few months ago to a mountain village in Italy where there's no broadband internet, but if there are users keen to see improvements I'll always consider them.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the reply. I'm just playing with different Linux authoring tools and yours popped up. I'll let u know if I get round to trying it.

I'm having problems with dvdauthor - it does not seem to like my mpegs.

I like your user name - like me, 60+
    Quote Quote  
  6. I find dvdauthor doesn't like VOBs ripped off a DVD. I don't know why; I always assumed they were regular MPEGs but with extra audio tracks and subtitles. The most recent version of dvdauthor I have - now over six months old - just barfs at them. When broadband finally arrives at this backwater I'll try a more recent build.

Not 60 for another year - I chose the name in anticipation
    Quote Quote