VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Baldrick / Mods,

I remember a while ago there was a thread (which I've looked for but can't find) where there was a suggestion that the rules could be presented in a visual format rather than just a page that people can easily wash over and effectively take no real notice of.

I seem to recall that shadowmistress created something that caught people's eye but it didn't go anywhere (that I'm aware of).

Anyway, the reason I bring it up is because I've recently registered for a different forum and they have guidelines on posting done as a kind of streaming video (requires audio):

http://www.netrider.net.au/?page=posting

This page is only linked to in the site's rules, but I don't see that it'd be too difficult to have it as a compulsory page as part of the registration process, and you could put in there whatever you felt needed to be gotten across.

Just a thought...
    There is some corner of a foreign field that is forever England: Telstra Stadium, Sydney, 22/11/2003.

Carpe diem.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by daamon
    but I don't see that it'd be too difficult to have it as a compulsory page as part of the registration process, and you could put in there whatever you felt needed to be gotten across.
    On my forum the first thing they see is the rules as soon as they click the "register" link. Just like those giant EULA's that barely anyone ever reads I doubt many read them all the way through if at all.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Something similar to the netrider page you linked to might be useful. Since our forums concern mostly visual media, a visual 'orientation' may have more impact than just a static list of rules.

All new members that sign on have to agree to be bound by our rules, though. A misinterpretation on their part of our rules, we make some allowances for.

For getting new posters to actually read, and totally understand our rules, then totally abide by them, good luck.
    The same goes for using the search functions, the FAQs, the stickies, and looking in the right forum first before posting.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That is pretty clever. Will it stop dumbass posts ? Probably not.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz
    Something similar to the netrider page you linked to might be useful. Since our forums concern mostly visual media, a visual 'orientation' may have more impact than just a static list of rules.
    Exactly what I was thinking... Most people find information presented visually, especially with audio, more interesting than having to read a page of bland text. As far as the senses go, it's all about stimulation - and an audio-visual presentation compared to a (comparatively) boring non-moving black text on white background has to be better.

Originally Posted by redwudz
    For getting new posters to actually read, and totally understand our rules, then totally abide by them, good luck.
    The same goes for using the search functions, the FAQs, the stickies, and looking in the right forum first before posting.
    Originally Posted by guns1inger
    That is pretty clever. Will it stop dumbass posts ? Probably not.
    Ha ha ha... Yes, the sad truth is they may be more likely to watch but it can't change a person's ignorance, stupidity or ability to remember...
    There is some corner of a foreign field that is forever England: Telstra Stadium, Sydney, 22/11/2003.

Carpe diem.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by daamon
    I remember a while ago there was a thread (which I've looked for but can't find) where there was a suggestion that the rules could be presented in a visual format rather than just a page that people can easily wash over and effectively take no real notice of.

I seem to recall that shadowmistress created something that caught people's eye but it didn't go anywhere (that I'm aware of).
    shadowmistress PM'd me the link to the thread:

https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?p=1225272#1225272

Carpe diem.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Not bad at all. I don't remember the original post, but it is a very strong start.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I agree.

Given the recent rise of the FLV format, I was thinking that that would get around some issues that were encountered with the way it was done originally.

Carpe diem.

Quote Quote