VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've got this LG DVD recorder for 2 years now and I've been recording to -RW discs, so that I could edit video later on my PC. I've done hundreds of recordings that way with no problems.

Now, for the first time I made a few recordings on -R discs (Verbatim and LG). The recordings were made in standard video mode and finalized. Everything is fine - the discs play on 2 standalones.
    But when I put those -R discs in any DVD rom in PC's, it won't play, nor it can be ripped to transfer to PC, it just says "no disc".
    I used Nero info tool and Isobuster to see the file structure on those discs. Both tools report 5 tracks, but no recognizible files like TS folders, ifo, VOB or anything - just tracks.
    I've tried to rip the content of those discs with DVD decrypter in iso read mode, but there is error upon error.
    I've never seen anything like it before.
    Any help to explain this, please?

Thank you.

I have an update on this:
    I brought those discs to a friend and his laptop and desktop DVD drives reads those discs as normal DVD video with Video_TS folder. PowerDVD plays them fine on his PC's. So, it must be something on my PC's that prevent those discs to be read properly.
    Well, I'll stick with those -RW discs which work.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Maybe some sort of rootkit copy protection?
    Panasonic DMR-ES45VS, keep those discs a burnin'
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kitty
    Maybe some sort of rootkit copy protection?
    I'm not sure what do you mean by that?

Do you think that I should check something?

Those recordings I made were a simple home video on VHS to DVD recorder conversion.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    rootkit is a special protection protocal that acts like css encryption on dvds.

I can't imagine that would be the case if you said you used a settop dvd recorder for this.

Well there is always the tried and true realtime analog dub. Get a standalone dvd player that plays them and capture them to your pc capture card if you have one or to your dvd recorder and re-record them. Then you can take the new disc and try again or you'll have ready to edit avi or mpg files sitting on your hard drive.

If they are from a standalone they could be dvd-vr discs. Dvd shrink can open those types of discs. That may also be worth trying. But the analog dub will always work since you've already dubbed them they don't have macrovision and they don't have css - dubbing won't be a problem for you now.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=314839

If PowerDVD can play your disk, then use UltraIso to extract video to PC.

/ Kaapo /
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yoda313 and kaapo,

Those problematic discs are DVD-R recorded in video mode.
    None of them is recorded in VR mode.
    So, they do have standard video structure inside VIDEO_TS folder.
    Why they are not properly readable in my PC DVD drives is still a mistery for me, because everything else works fine with these drives.
    Nevertheless, those discs are readable in my laptop DVD burner so there is no real trouble any more if I want to make a copy.
    Thank you.
    Quote Quote