VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I found that all of the "mobile" types of dvd conversion software had limitations to which Palm OS or Pocket PC format that could be selected when trying to do a conversion. After some trial and error, I found that FlaskMpeg worked well and was pretty simple to navigate. I wrote a manual for my friends at work, which I feel may be useful to everyone, so here it is.

Convert DVD to Palm

I have been researching a number of tools to convert dvd movies to my Tungsten T. I have always used tmpgenc with dvd2avi for vcds, but I have found that tmpgenc’s encoding process for a slower fps causes the audio and video to go out of sync.

The tools I used to accomplish this are: DVD Decrypter (anydvd also works) and FlaskMpeg (latest version 0.7.8.39). Make sure that you have the Gordian Knot Codec pack and Gordian Knot Rip pack installed.

1. Open FlaskMpeg:

2. Click on File/Open Media - browse to the folder where the dvd was saved.
    3. Select a .vob file (i.e. vts_01_1.vob) – I used a bugs bunny dvd.
    4. FlaskMpeg will scan the .vob file for both the video and audio stream and ask you to select the correct streams:

5. Click the FlasK it! button to have FlaskMpeg read these streams.

The FlaskMpeg control panel and preview window will open:

6. On the left side of the control panel, you will see the current settings of the video. On the right side you will see the file size of the results if you use the current settings.
    7. Click and drag the slider bar to the starting position of the movie clip you want to convert.

8. Click the
    icon to start the movie from that point and the icon to end the movie.

9. Click the Video Panel button to adjust the height or width of the movie. (there are other options for the video, but we will cover that shortly)

A preview window also opens so when you adjust the height and width you can see how the clip will look. Adjust for the best viewing: (320x272 looks good on the Tungsten T’s 320x320 screen):

If converting an mpg or avi, select the crop button to minimize the outer bar surrounding the picture.
    10. Next, select Options/Output Format Options from the menu:

On the left is a list of the available video and audio codecs installed on your system.

11. For the Tungsten T, I used the Divx 5.2.1 codec. Highlight the codec and click the Configure

button.

The Divx properties window opens:

The only option I changed here was the Average Bitrate to 680 kbps (the default value caused skipping)
    12. After making changes, click the OK button to return to the Output Options window.
    13. Select the Microsoft ADPCM CODEC (use the defaults).
    14. Click OK to close the dialog box.

The next set of config settings are more important:

1. Select Options/Advanced Options

2. The video tab allows to change the height and width and frames per second settings for the final outcome of the video.

For the Tungsten T:
    Frame Size = 320x272
    Time Based (fps) = 23.976 (best quality)
    Click the Save button to create a new profile for future use.

3. Click the Audio panel tab to make changes to the audio setup:

4. Change the Sampling Frequency to 44100 Hz (keep the “decode audio” selected)
    5. Click the Post Processing panel tab to change the processing speed:

Default is HQ bicubic Filtering, for a shorter process time select Bicubic filtering instead

6. Click the Files panel tab to choose the directory where to save the Divx file:

7. Click the General panel tab to open the general properties:

Make sure to deselect the “Compile whole file” check box if you are doing a partial conversion.

8. Click the OK button to return to the main screen.
    9. Click the Add
    button to add the project to the list.
    10. Click the FlasK it!
    button to start the conversion.

When finished, hot sync the new movie to your palm.

Notes:
    a. I had trouble using the MMPlayer for the Divx movie. However, I was able to use TCMP, but you may be able to use another media player.
    b. Since this was a cartoon, the settings may vary for movies and tv shows. I suggest to play with the settings to see what works best for your handheld.

And that's all there is to it. Good luck! 8)
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    1) Please post guides in the GUIDES section
    2) Please upload the images direct. As you can see, Angelfire don't allow offsite image links.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Please do not double post. The other post has been removed. And please fix your links as kschang suggested. This thread would be more appropriate in the User Guides forum. Moving you.
    Quote Quote