VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello all... new here so sorry for any inexperience.

My father in law has multiple video discs 3.5" (30 mins) that he wants put on to larger DVD discs. I have tried what I know or don't know and am only able to copy one 30 min disc before being asked if i want to erase what is on the disc. The whole DVD creation is new to me so I apoligize for my studpidity.

Thanks,
    Chris

Any suggestions.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not sure exactly what you are asking?
    I'll assume you want to copy the discs to your hard drive then burn them on to a regular DVD? I also assume video disks, probably in DVD format? From a video camera, perhaps?

You see the more information you submit, the easier a question is to answer. But......

Look here: https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=224833

EDIT: And welcome to the forum. You can look to the 'HOW TO' guides to the left and find tutorials on how to do most anything.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks... again sorry for the unknown. Correct they are dvd video disks from a digital video camera. The disks holp approx. 30 min and we want to combine as many 30 min disks to DVD disks. Software i have available is SONIC?

I did read the link you posted, but honestly i understood very little of it.

Thank You. Your help is appreciated
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    OK. I'll assume they will play in a standard DVD player. That would likely mean they are DVD format. The DVD format is shown to the upper left, under 'What is' DVD.

This is the way I would go about it:

You can use the program VOB2MPG. It will extract all the VOB files from the DVDs as MPEG-2 video files on your hard drive. You will have one MPEG for each VOB. Put them all into a folder, titled as 1, 2, 3..... etc., to tell them apart.

The MPEGs can be put into a authoring program like TMPGEnc DVD Author which will allow them to all be played back as one video when burned to DVD.

Or you may want to edit them. Then you would edit each MPEG with a video editor, then put them into the authoring program. TMPGEnc DVD Author is a pay program. VOB2MPG is freeware.

Or you may be able to do this in Sonic after you have converted them to MPEG-2 with VOB2MPG.

Or you may be able to put all the MPEGs into a program like DivxToDVD which can do the combining and authoring after you have extracted the MPEGs with VOB2MPG. There is a freeware version of this available.

The above are some of the easier ways with the least confusion, IMO. Once you get all the video converted to MPEGs, then you either edit them or author them all to a DVD at one time.

Sorry. The best way is to study the guides, but it takes a while to understand it all.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Sonic makes a lot of software. What program do you have and what version?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'll have to double check the version. But Record Now software from Sonic.

I really appreciate all the information. I'm going to have to do some research. All the jargon and technical verbage is quite intimidating.

I'll have to review what you've all said and get the disks back from my father in law and play around with things.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  7. RecordNow has a "make an exact copy" function that can create a copy of the existing 30 minute videos to larger disks. Problem is if you want to combine 30 minutes videos to make a larger video ( like four, 30 minute videos to make a single 120 minute one ) on the larger disk. My version of RecordNow cannot do that. Sonic MyDVD can.
    Quote Quote