VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=202562&GT1=6955

Sep 26, 1:36 PM EST

The Associated Press

LOS ANGELES -- Don Adams, the wry-voiced comedian who starred as the fumbling secret agent Maxwell Smart in the 1960s television spoof of James Bond movies, "Get Smart," has died. He was 82.

Adams died of a lung infection late Sunday at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, his friend and former agent Bruce Tufeld said Monday, adding the actor broke his hip a year ago and had been in ill health since.

As the inept Agent 86 of the super-secret federal agency Control , Adams captured TV viewers with his antics in combatting the evil agents of Kaos.

When his explanations failed to convince the villains or his boss, he tried another tack: "Would you believe ...?"

It became a national catch phrase.

Smart was also prone to spilling things on the desk or person of The Chief (actor Edward Platt). Smart's apologetic "Sorry about that, chief" also entered the American lexicon.

The spy gadgets, which aped those of the Bond movies, were a popular feature, especially the pre-cell-phone telephone in a shoe.

Smart's beautiful partner, Agent 99, played by Barbara Felden, was as brainy as he was dense, and a plot romance led to marriage and the birth of twins later in the series.

Adams, who had been under contract to NBC, was lukewarm about doing a spy spoof. When he learned that Mel Brooks and Buck Henry had written the pilot script, he accepted immediately. "Get Smart" debuted on NBC in September 1965 and scored No. 12 among the season's most-watched series and No. 22 in its second season.

"Get Smart" twice won the Emmy for best comedy series with three Emmys for Adams as comedy actor.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    He was shooting for 83 but he "missed it by THAT much"

I feel so dirty now. I've long asked why they don't seem to replay this show any more.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Flaystus
    He was shooting for 83 but he "missed it by THAT much"
    He was shooting for 86
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I remember him best for his voice role in the original Inspector Gadget cartoons...and the few shows I remember seeing of Get Smart. Good thing I got most of the original Gadget cartoon series....im transferring them to DVD and will take its place in my collection.

VTM
    I have the staff of power, now it's up to me to use it to its full potential to command my life and be successful.
    Quote Quote  
  6. For those of us who are old enough to remember, He did the voice of Tennessee Tuxedo.
    Quote Quote