VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. That limited title makes me sounds like a caveman!

I just installed Mepis linux 3.3.1, which looks like a great distro! I booted up the live-cd and it auto-detected all my settings, including internet (dsl connection) and my sound card, all without any trouble. I then did a hd install with an ext3 filesystem. When I booted into that, however, I recieved the error about my sound card and that it would use null output. Also I cannot access the internet. I tried running netconfig from a konsole but I'd imagine Mepis runs a bit different from the distro I'm used to, Slackware.

Anyway does anyone have any ideas how to get me up and running?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Live cd distros normally come packed with default drivers for hardware that is detected .

Yet , as you found out , you are missing the driver packages related to some hardware for your specifc system .

After the install , you need to go into the hardware configuration utility , and install packages related to hardware that was not setup for you .

This is relatively easy , and they should be contained in the live distro you have .

Why they were not installed is because the person who developed the script either made a goof , or just forgot to include them in the setup scripts

If none are found :

I use puppy linux (live linux os) , go online , locate device driver packages , and burn the to the puupy linux cd .

The trick here is to burn the puppy iso using nero , but dont close the cd , this allows you to add files downloaded to the hard drive to be burned to the same cd that has puppy on it .

Handy , and device driver packages , and software can be added to the puppy cd as required .

Puppy also fits on one of those mini cds , a really portable os for the road .

-------------------------

In your case , leave the installed distro as it is now , but reuse the bootable os , go online and download the packages you require for your hardware .

Reboot pc from allready installed os , and install device drivers , and you should be cured ...
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for all the info!!! I actually discovered what the problem was a short time ago. I installed GRUB to my /root of my linux partition because I didn't want to take the chance of messing up the MBR. Unfortunately this left me no way to get into my newly installed linux distro! I tried making a floppy with GRUB from the live-cd but that didn't work. I then decided to use an old floppy disk that I had with GRUB from my slackware install to try and boot it up. It must have booted the wrong kernel and that was what was causing my problems. I found this app called "smart boot manager" that loads onto a floppy, I tried it after a reinstall of linux and everything was cured! Now if only I could get wine to recognize dvd shrink and photoshop...
    Quote Quote