VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I want to write and bind my own books. I do not intend to sell some of them, and the few I may sell will probably only sell several dozen at most. Therefore I would like to bind them on my own. Will laser print onto the appropriate linen, that part I already know.

But I don't really know where to get started, and I'm not wanting to spend huge amounts of money or pay others. Just a decent outcome. I wrote a book in college, and they bound a few copies for me in one of the student-run shops, but I don't know anything beyond that, just that it's possible.

Ideas? Suggestions? Thanks.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  2. Take a look here. http://www.sff.net/people/Brook.West/bind/bindit.html

I also think I saw some (Binding Kits) at staples.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What size page and how many? (Don't forget to allow for the gutter when printing) What type of cover, hardback or paper back?

For a how to manual I would say to go with the cheap and easy plastic splines from the office supply store nearest you. If you are going to publish your art work or photos I would say go with a stitched hard back. (Get to know your local mom and pop printer/bindery worker) You could I guess use an old heavy duty sewing machine and do it yourself. My old man had a Chandler darner (SP) that would punch a needle through anything that a needle could go through.

I took Graphic arts in high school and had access to all of the equipment, maybe find a high school or tech school kid to help you out.

There are a fair amount of do it yourself people binding their own stuff (the artsy crafts type) Check out your local craft store.

Keep us posted, it sounds like a cool project.
    IS IT SUPPOSED TO SMOKE LIKE THAT?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Also check the yellow pages for your area - you should be able to find plenty of local print shops that'll do it for you professionally.

Doesn't cost much.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?level=SK&id=531880&Ne=1+5&Ntt=binding&D=b inding&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&uniqueSearchFlag=tr ue&Ntk=all&Nr=FILTER(domestic)&No=10&N=10324&Nty=1 &Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&y=16&x=25&An=text

Whoa! thats a big'un. This should get you in the general area of the office type stuff.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ah yes, I guess I didn't give enough details. Oops.

What I want is single-color textured hardback books. The books will be between 75-200 pages each. Full 8½x11 paper.

The book I had done was both stitches and glued. It's a pro job, like those old 1970s-1980s encyclopedias I used as a kid (back when school research meant the library, not a computer and google). Except a lot a thinner.

And thanks for the gutter reminder. I did that last time, but it was still about a quarter inch too close. Of course, I'm just picky on that one. I need to remember to allow some more room this time.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    http://www.hollanders.com/

Keep an eye out for used commercial equipment, print shops come and go quite often round here.

I seem to recall that in school we used a stapler that was wire fed to to make smaller sections and then stacked and joined the sections together. The covers where factory blanks that we embossed and then glued to the rest of the book.

Something tells me that this venture won't be taken lightly
    Quote Quote