VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello!!
    I was wondering how it would be possible to make back-ups of my DVDs using Toast on my iMac G5. I have the blank DVDs, but normal sized movie-DVDs are about 7.2 GB. Is there a way that can fit these movies onto a blank one using Toast?

Thank you Very Much!!!
    Tony
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Roxio, the company that sells Toast, offers a product called Popcorn that is designed to do just what you require. You may also want to download MTR to use as a first step.

I believe that there may be better applications than Popcorn for the Mac, but it integrates well into Toast. Amd Toast owners can purchase Popcorn via download at a reduced cost.

Cheers
    adcvideo
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    all good points. Popcorn is a decent program. You will need that inorder to "shrink" down the movie

Most of us use DVD2ONEX if you want to read up on it. Its my preferred one, but probably just because its been the Premier one. Popcorn is new on the scene

you can always look to my website for more info.

Hope you enjoy that iMac
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hi, i tried Popcorn, but it said all of the movies i would like to back up ar protected. I then went ahead and tried DVD2one and it did not work either. I must not understand some hidden step. If you could help me on either program, that would be wonderful. Thank you very much!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Rip the movie 'disc mode' (in other words everything) with Mac the Ripper first. Then shrink. Read the forums for MTR and DVD2ONEX so you'll know what to do.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I have found when using the DVD2ONEX image option then burning it using Apple's Disk Copy gives me a better picture with greater detailed back-ups then if I use DVD2ONE's Video TS folder and Toast!! After side by side observations, I now never use toast for burning DVD's.
    You might want to just purchase DVD2ONE (after using MTR) and the free Disk Copy application that came with OS10. If Disk Copy can't see your burner, use PatchBurn to "flash" it first!
    You will have to purchase DVD2ONE, but you may not have to buy Toast if the above works for you. You can save your money for movies!! Just a thought.
    Toby
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Toby
    I have found when using the DVD2ONEX image option then burning it using Apple's Disk Copy gives me a better picture with greater detailed back-ups then if I use DVD2ONE's Video TS folder and Toast!! After side by side observations, I now never use toast for burning DVD's.
    You do realise this should not be possible? The level of detail ought to be exactly the same.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tafrees
    I have found when using the DVD2ONEX image option then burning it using Apple's Disk Copy gives me a better picture with greater detailed back-ups then if I use DVD2ONE's Video TS folder and Toast!! After side by side observations, I now never use toast for burning DVD's.
    You might want to just purchase DVD2ONE (after using MTR) and the free Disk Copy application that came with OS10. If Disk Copy can't see your burner, use PatchBurn to "flash" it first!
    You will have to purchase DVD2ONE, but you may not have to buy Toast if the above works for you. You can save your money for movies!! Just a thought.
    Toby
    can you post some screenshots of this. I dont see how the quality can be any different via 2 methods of burning. Ill try this as well but since you have already done it perhaps you can post some screenshots for comparison
    Quote Quote  
  9. tafrees - you're imagining it. data is data is data, no matter how it's burned.
    Quote Quote