VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Just got my new Maxent DVD recorder from Santa. Now I'm wondering how to hook it up. I have incoming CoAx cable line hooked to my VCR then CoAx to the TV "Cable in" connection. Now I need to add the DVD recorder.

My TV seems to accept any type of incoming signal (except RGB, I think) and also has a "video out" whatever that would be for on a TV (I always thought the TV is at the END of the line). My DVD player also has all the choices. The VCR has coax in/out and audio/video in/out. Right now I have the DVD player going to the TV "Video 1" . It isn't hooked up to the VCR and Cable in yet so it's just a standaloe player right now.

I'll want to play VCR tapes on TV, record from the VCR to the DVD, record cable TV on the DVD, play DVD to the TV.

Any ideas how you've done this successfully?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do you have a cable box? At any rate I would say that you want the least amount of connections between your incoming cable and your best recording device(The DVD recorder). If no cable box then what device has the best tuner? It should be first. And then to the DVD recorder. Watch out that you don't loose strereo by leaping from device to device( I think that this is rare ) I also tend to think that the TV is the end of the line. If your DVD or VCR can't put out to two or receive from two with all of the possible RCA and coax jacks then its time to buy a splitter(its not the end of the world)

Hooking them up to work like you want ain't the problem, programming the remote without the instructions is the fun part!
    IS IT SUPPOSED TO SMOKE LIKE THAT?
    Quote Quote  
  3. How about this:

cable > cable splitter
    cable splitter 1 out > > vcr coax in > vcr 1 out > tv 1 in
    vcr 2 out > dvd 1 in > tv 2 in
    cable splitter 2 out > dvd coax in > tv 2 in
    Quote Quote  
  4. Here's a visual for the connections:
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks for the help. I was only thinking of ways to hook it up in series. Using a splitter to run it in parellel (sp?) makes a lot of sense. I'll try that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    "Daisy-chaining" is never a good idea. You need a separate outboard signal switching box.
    Quote Quote