VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. HI all,

I recently started my own video production company and things are going well. I am using the Sony DCR TRV350 camera. (we all have to start somehwere) I have done 3 dance recitals and several theater productions and clients were very happy. This is my problem. Whenever they used 1 or 2 spotlights on the subject, the faces become very washed out and give like a very hot look or over exposed I should say. I went out and bought a Nuetral Density Filter and it seemed to fix the problem but this camera has a 4 lux minimum rating and the picture comes out a bit dark when the filter is applied. Has anyone else been through this before. I have yet to try the different settings with the camera like spotlight or some others because i am only there for the shows and it's a bit difficult to duplicate the setting. Thanks everyone.

Marc
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Try the spotlight function, I have a few screencaps in this article using my cam where I used the spotlight function. https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=242782

I had the same problem that you describe with a older D8 cam.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try to get there for the dress rehearsals as well. It will give you some idea of the lighting as well as the blocking. Of course, if they are anything like my daughter's dancing school, they wont have the lighting right until after the matinee
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    try the auto-exposure setting on spotlight
    if that doesnt help, switch to manual exposure and adjust it yourself.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hello everyone,

Thank you for all of your great responses. I will try the spotlight effect when i get a chance. When they go to rehearse nothing is actually done until the actual show but I have some other avenues I can take to test the methd. thank you all for your help.

Marc
    Quote Quote  
  6. Does the TRV350 offer manual exposure controls? You could always adjust exposure for their faces rather than the average -- which is what auto exposure will go for unless you have a spotlight setting.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I don't want to be a jerk, but the problem is that this camera is inappropriate for what you are trying to do, especially if you are getting paid. If you want to have your own production company, you need a better camera -- and this is coming from someone who considers what he does to be pretty bottom-of-the-barrel when it comes to paid production services.

The TVR350 is fine as a starter cam, if you want to just want to do things on your own while saving up for a camera you can use even semi-professionally. But it simply isn't built for even prosumer use, much less professional use. It has small, single CCD, which corresponds to poor low-light performance and less-than-great color reproduction. Which is why you are having the problem you posted.

Here's a fairly representative review from camcorderinfo.com:

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/sony-dcr-trv350-camcorder-review.htm

Note:

"it produces pretty disappointing video images and low light performance."

"The low light performance of the DCR-TRV350 is pretty terrible. The camcorder is unable to produce a viewable image with any discernible contrast in the image (so you can see the details of the objects) in any light less than a medium lit environment."

"The DCR-TRV350 is inexpensive, but for the budget consumer, there are much better deals out there"

"The DCR-TRV350 offers pretty lackluster manual control and a poor picture for anyone who is a serious shooter."

You don't have to spend thousands upon thousands to start a small, local production company, but you are ill-prepared for paid work. When a review says that a camera isn't even the best "budget camera," that should tell you that it's not suited for what you are doing. Yes, the talent behind the camera means much more than the quality of the camera, but you really need to consider getting a better camera, especially if you are getting paid. It's the *only* way you're going to solve this particular problem.
    Quote Quote  
  8. HI,

I totally agree with your statement but we all have to start somewhere. I fell into all this by accident. There was a theater group that was stuck without someone to video and I was at the right place at the right time. The quality was great and there wasnt any washed out spots from excesive light. Then it just grew. I was referred by them to a dance studio which got me another and then another. The theater now contracted me for the season, and I have 3 dance studios with 2 more on the way. I have 2 mortgages on the house and to go out and get the right equipment is just out of the question at the moment. Basically the extra money is helping us survive. So..even though I know I should be doing much better in the equpment area I have to make do for now with what I have. Trust me If I had seen that review a year ago when I bought the cam I would have chose a different model. Thank you for the advice. To teh other post...no there is no manua exposure settings on this cam. Although i have heard of hacks to modify these setting but i have yet to find any.

Marc
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by kissvid
    To teh other post...no there is no manua exposure settings on this cam. Marc
    Yes, there most definitely are manual exposure settings on your camera. Check the manual again...

Originally Posted by camcorderinfo.com site
    Overall Manual Control (2.5)
    The DCR-TRV350 does pretty bad in overall manual control, the zoom is hard to control, the focus is done through a jog dial not a ring, and you must open up the LCD screen to adjust the exposure. On the other hand, the DCR-TRV350 offers real buttons instead of a touch screen to adjust the picture elements, a definite upgrade, however it also lacks important manual control options such as white balance, shutter speed and gain. Overall, the hard buttons don't make up for the missing control, giving the DCR-TRV350 an overall low score for manual control.
    http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/sony-dcr-trv350-camcorder-review.htm
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A good intermediate step to $2000 prosumer camcorder models (GL-2, VX-2000) is the current Panasonic consumer 3CCD consumer line ($400-1000)
    http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/panasonic-pv-gs120-camcorder-review.htm

These are true 3CCD cameras with good optics and good low light performance (see reviews). The 200 or 400 might get you by. Manual (and locked) exposure control is critical for your needs. You are lucky that your lighting is fixed and predictable.

If you are serious about setting up a business, get something like the PV-GS400 now and learn to get the most from it, then save your pennies for a Sony HDR-FX1 entry HDV (1080i or DV) HDTV cam ($3000 best street now) and leapfrog over your competition.
    http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/sony-hdv-nab-prototype-04_18_04.htm
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi kissvid,

I've read the whole thread, and as you're stuck with the camera for the time being and want to do the best job you can, here's some suggestions:

A) Identify what problems you're having by reviewing existing footage.

B) Figure out the cause of these problems.

C) You can't change the camera, so identify anything else you can change to produce better results.

D) You've already tried a neutral density filter. Are there any other filters yo can try?

E) How about asking the theatre / dance studio / client to set up the lighting during rehearsals so you can account for it better?

Make sure it's as close as it's going to be "on the night" to get your best chance.

F) If possible, can you do closer shots so the auto exposure is basing itself on more of the subject rather than the whole picture.

BE CAREFUL not to move from dark to bright areas too quickly (or at all). This will result in a brief over-exposure and a very bright picture momentarily - but definitely noticeable.

G) How possible is it to get a second camera? One for long shots / wide angle - maybe filming continuously. The other for close up work.

Set the exposure as best you can on both to get the best from each camera.

This also has the benefit of being able to do better cuts from one shot to another without having the pan / tilt or zoom in / out shown in the final footage.

H) Go to your local college(s) - one(s) that offer video courses, explain your problem and see if they have any suggestions.

Maybe even sign up for a course...

I) Have you looked into renting? Maybe a hire-purchase arrangement for something like the Panny that edDV mentioned.

You may be able to do a trade in... eBay?

Anyway, the best of luck to you - I hope it all works out.
    There is some corner of a foreign field that is forever England: Telstra Stadium, Sydney, 22/11/2003.

Carpe diem.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Your main need is to lock exposure if that cam can do it.
    Move in close under stage lighting and then lock it.

The camera's auto exposure is currently scanning a large area and averaging in lots of black. That causes the lit area to wash out. Alternative is to talk lighting director into less contrast. TV lighting is flat, Stage lighting is high contrast.
    Quote Quote