VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guys, I'm sure one of the experts here can answer this because i'm kinda confused. I read so many positive things about a Calibration DVD such as "AVIA" and how it's a must have. After getting it and watching it, the basic calibration seemed simple enough. I adjusted the Contrast, Brightness and Sharpness without much of a problem. But then when the video tutorial got to Color and Tint, they said you need to view the Color I believe with a "BLUE" filter and the tint with a "RED" filter. Being that I have no clue what they mean, where could I get a blue and a red filter and about how much would they cost? Are those filters some type of 3-D glasses or something?

TIA
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The colored plastic strips come with the instruction manual. You should be able to get replacements from the company. http://www.ovationsw.com/

Or you could try the lenses out of a pair of 3D glasses for now.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've seen AVIA make an image look worse. I don't put much stock into "calibrating" the tv I watch.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    redwudz, thank you so much. I actually rented the DVD from blockbuster online, figured i'd buy it or a disc similar if it were worth it. I haven't returned the disc yet because i'm waiting to get my HDTV Projection television and calibrate that with the disc. I'll try to get replacements for the strips from the link you gave. If that doesn't work, do you have any suggestions on where else I could get those blue and red strips/filters?

lordsmurf, thanks for your input. Your take on this is definitely not the norm as somewhere between 200-300 people over at AVSforums say different. Most of them say a calibration Disc such as AVIA is an absolute "must" and even go as far as to say it will be the best $30-$40 you spend. The only reason I didn't ask this question there is because I know there are experts here who would kindly answer it and I like the outlay of this forum better. But I honestly must of read hundreds of people say the exact opposite of what you've said. As a matter of fact, you're the first person i've ever read who has said the calibration disc makes the settings look worse on a T.V. So it's either your advice or the advice of several hundred others. With all due respect, I think i'll go with the other few hundred people. But thanks for your input.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Beyond those fancy machines, projection screens, etc., it's pretty worthless. Your average tv set will never give 100% perfect results or even anything near that.

Also, don't take too much stock in "experts" online or salesmen in stores.

Human eyes are the best gauge of visual quality, as far as we're concerned in terms of being entertained.

You can calibrate all day for studio perfection. Put on one VHS tape or non-digital tv reception, and there goes your effort, all for not. Torpedoed in seconds.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ideal solutions for Ideal material.
    That's the problem: You only deal rarelly with "Ideal" material
    I agree with LS.
    La Linea by Osvaldo Cavandoli
    Quote Quote