VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    I just bought and installed a new 20x LG drive. Here's the link to newegg where I bought it, so you can see the full description, name, and specs. They call it a "GSA-H55NK" OEM model.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136117

My question concerns the name of the drive and the significance of all those extra cryptic/unknown characters in the name. That's apparently crucial, because LG reportedly released a 1.02 firmware update in July 2007 for their "LG GSA-H55N" drive, with no further information that I can find. That's all of the characters they give in the name for this firmware update, which is available at...
    http://drivers.softpedia.com/progDownload/LG-GSAHN-Firmware-Download-36336.html

Reading the readme text instructions for the firmware update, it cautions against trying to install it on an "OEM" drive. The advertisement at the above newegg link says it's an "OEM" drive, but is it really?

When I look at the drive through my computer's Device Manager, it says the model is "HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-H55N". That differs from what I ordered, which was supposedly a "GSA-H55NK". So what happened to the "K" at the end, and is it important? Also what does the "HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM" prefix mean, and why isn't it mentioned in the newegg advertisement and specifications? Is it important?

Can anybody clarify this nomenclature confusion for me? I need to know if I should install the firmware 1.02 update on this drive, or not?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Post your question at the LG FORUM at Cdfreaks.com. I'm sure the members there can clarify the situation for you. From what I've read LG is releasing more new drives instead of focusing on developing new firmwares to fit newer dvd media.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by JohnnyBob
    Can anybody clarify this nomenclature confusion for me? I need to know if I should install the firmware 1.02 update on this drive, or not?
    Budz is correct - CDFreaks.com LG Forum is the best place to look for specific info on LG drives. I will attempt to answer your concerns but would still suggest you go to the forum for additional input.

1. You do have an LG GSA H55N. The K following the N in the Newegg description means it has a black faceplate and is not a retail category drive (no retail Manufacturer packaging, software, cables, screws, etc). These are often referred to as bulk or oem drives.

2. The term oem is a confusing situation because it means one thing to Newegg and another thing on the LG website. Newegg's oem drive is the same thing hardware-wise as the retail model. I explained in item 1 above how it differs. LG's oem term refers to drives manufactured explicitly for a computer maker like Gateway, Dell, etc. These drives identify differently if you look closely. They will normally be a GCA, GMA or GWA instead of the GSA model prefix. These are the ones they warn about flashing firmware as the computer maker is responsible for firmware updates on these models.

3. In regards your Device Manager question. I don't remember all specifics but here is a rough description from memory. HL designates the Hitachi-LG alliance. DT-ST I think means digital technology storage division. DVD-RAM means it will read and write DVD-RAM media.

4. The firmware for the GSA H55N (v1.02) is and can be flashed to your drive. (IMO)

Hope this helps and good luck
    Quote Quote  
  4. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    Thanks for the redirection to cdfreaks.com. The flash to v1.02 was successful. I also found and applied a patch to remove the rip-lock on the GSA-H55N, which turns it into a really useful drive! Otherwise it was much too slow with reads and verifies. It wasn't easy to do, but the details are in this thread below if anyone else with a H55N is interested...
    http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?p=1860399#post1860399
    Quote Quote