VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I have a Panasonic Model No. DMP-BD65 blue-ray disc player with original remote.
    I want to make it region free. How to do it?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    https://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks/panasonic-dmp-bd65/10861

But that is probably only for dvd regions. I don't think you can make it blu-ray region free.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You could try taking it into a Panasonic service agent. In this country, the service agent will region-free Panny players for you for no charge (DVD playback only, not Blu-Ray as well). I don't think the Blu-Ray regions can be changed on Panny players - on other makes (Toshiba, Veon & Soniq are the brands I am aware of), they can.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Chopmeister suggestion is unlikely to work anywhere other than New Zealand and Australia, but I suppose that just telling you "No" is the worst thing that could happen if you try it.

Most BluRay players cannot be made region free for DVD or BluRay playback, so keep that in mind. Technically the BluRay licensing agreement that ALL manufacturers must sign forbids this, but a few companies get away with it producing players that can be made region free for DVD playback by playing dumb and acting like they have no idea how their players could possibly be made region free.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    For Panasonic blu-ray players you have several options, but as far as I know it is not possible to make the player regionfree only by using the original Panasonic remote.

The other options I know of are:

1) Buy the enhanced firmware from FirmwareInfo.com. This will make your player regionfree for DVD and zone changeable for blu-ray. The disadvantage with this method is that if you later want to upgrade your firmware, you will need a new enhanced firmware to keep the blu-ray zone changeable functionality. The DVD regionfree however will survive original firmware upgrades. I believe you will find more info for your model here: http://www.firmwareinfo.com/viewforum.php?f=14

2) Buy a "regionfree remote" on ebay. It will be used one time and makes your player regionfree for DVD. The regionfree DVD functionality will survive original firmware updates. The one for Panasonic players can be found here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Panasonic-DVD-Blu-ray-player-multi-region-hack-remote-/11060...item19c06e0f09

3) Buy a Harmony or URC universal remote and enter the Pronto hex codes that can be found on several forums. As Baldrick says, it will make your player regionfree for DVD. This method will also survive original firmware updates.

I have used all 3 methods on my different Panasonic blu-players, and I can confirm that they work. As you live in Sweden, I suppose you will not have any PAL/NTSC problems. I know jman98 is strongly opposed to all these methods, but at least they give you the possibility to make your player regionfree for DVD.
    Last edited by Viking61; 22nd Oct 2012 at 13:52.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    No, I'm NOT "strongly opposed to all these methods". But I'm not going to sit here and tell you that there is 100% guaranteed absolute certainty that they will for sure work for you with no chance of wasting your time and money.

I know nothing about FirmwareInfo.com. You're on your own here. I also can't find out how much it costs, but I am skeptical of those who charge for firmware. You may not be.

This is what Viking61 doesn't like - I have pointed out that if you buy a remote and it doesn't work for your purpose of making your player region free, you probably will have wasted your money and you won't be able to get a refund. Viking61 says that you will for sure get a refund and I said "What is to stop someone from buying a remote, unlocking their player, and then returning it for a refund by saying that it doesn't work?"

We have had reports in the past of those who bought special remotes and they could not unlock their players. We've also had reports where they worked fine. I simply pointed out that there is always some chance that a remote won't work because your player may be different than the ones it works on. Hardware does sometimes change during production and it can break hacks that worked in the past.
    I also pointed out that if the remote doesn't work, it may be difficult to get a refund. I truly don't know if the odds are 99% that this stuff will work fine for you or 80% or 5%. I just point out that there is always some chance that it won't work. I also am not giving you a 100% guarantee that you cannot unlock your player. Not at all. I'm just pointing that most BluRay players cannot be unlocked - ever. Panasonic may be an exception to that. But you need to understand my point that if you buy some random BluRay player and expect to unlock it later, probably you will fail. We get plenty of posts here all the time from people who did that and we tell them that they can't unlock their players. Here's a recent example
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/350192-LG-DH3120S-Region-Hack-Problems
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    I think neither of us is interested in discussing this further, but I just want to make one thing clear. Jman98 writes that "I have pointed out that if you buy a remote and it doesn't work for your purpose of making your player region free, you probably will have wasted your money and you won't be able to get a refund. Viking61 says that you will for sure get a refund". I never said such a thing. It was another member you had that specific discussion with in the Sony S790 thread. All I said was that I had bought such a "regionfree remote" and that it worked for me.

Viking61 signing off on this thread
    Last edited by Viking61; 22nd Oct 2012 at 14:28.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Best way is to buy one that is region free.
    Quote Quote