VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Winoncd 5 PE - guide to create VCD - with menus for navigating to slide shows or video

Winoncd will help you put the vcd project together, but it does not create menus inside the application.
    The menus were created using Adobe PhotoShop (you can use any paint application of your choice)
    The video was encoded to the proper vcd format using Tmpgenc

Project layout will consist of:
    Intro video clip, One main menu , Two sub-menus, 3 slide shows and 1 video clip

Launch Winoncd and select Winoncd 3.x VideoCd editor from the "Other" Tab (I find this option to give me more flexibility on the navigation)
    fig. a

This will bring you into the editor where most of the project work will be done. Fig. B

Adding items to the editor window can be done in different ways, one is to simply drag the item you want into the editor window or first add a node and then drop the item into the node (it does not make a difference either way).
    For the purpose of understanding the project layout I will first add the nodes. In this case I need a total of 8 nodes 1 for the intro, 3 for the different menus, 4 for the slide shows and video clips.

Add the nodes by clicking the icon labeled Insert, this will place them into the editor window. It will look something like fig. C

Notice that your first node will have a start tab along the left side (this determines what will be played first on your vcd)
    Our next step is to add all the different items that correspond to the nodes. Simply drag the objects from the directory window into each node.
    Project sample:
    Node 1: vcd_intro.mpg
    Node 2: Main Menu.bmp
    Node 3. Sub_menu1.bmp
    Node 4: Sub_menu2.bmp
    Nodes 5, 6 and 7: multiple pictures for slide show
    Node 8: Bears.mpg

Once you are done adding items is should look something like this (fig. D) notice that nodes containing
    a video clip are different.

The next step is to create the navigation of the project, but before that I will briefly explain the properties of the nodes.

A node can hold one of the following items a Slideshow, Video Track or CDDA Track. The properties of each will vary depending on what it holds. On a slideshow you will be able to add music and adjust the display settings (no transitions).

The indentations at the bottom of the node correspond to the navigation functions (fig. E)

Ok, now for the menu navigation:

the main menu will have two options, so what we need to do is add two selection items by Right clicking the main menu node
    and selecting "Add Selection Item"

do this twice. The node should look like fig. F

Repeat the Above steps for the additional sub menus your project should look like this. Fig G

The navigation is performed in the following manner: Fig. H
    Tip. To remove a navigation line simply drag it off from the starting point.

For this project the navigation will be:
    Node1 (intro) played only once when the disk is inserted,
    Node2 (main menu) plays after the intro and remains until a selection is made)
    Node3 & 4 (sub-menus) play after the main menu until a selection is made
    Nodes 5,6,7 & 8 will play from the submenus and return to each corresponding submenu
    The return option will be set to bring you back to the previous menu
    The next on all the menus is linked by to itself (this will keep the menu up until a selection is made)

The final routing should look like this fig. I

Setting the hot spots for pc navigation

Right click on the main menu node and select "Button Editor" you will see two selection boxes corresponding
    to each selection option. Fig. J

You can resize and move the selection box at will

Perform the above step for the two submenus.

Once you are satisfied with the layout and navigation of the project, then click on the Record Icon.
    From here you will have the option to burn to disc or create an Image. Winoncd has it's own virtual cd-rom for playing
    back the image, that way you can preview how the vcd will play before burning it.
    Winoncd 5 will add a vcd player on to the cd.

Notes: this is just an example of what can be done with the navigation. You can create more complex projects or simpler ones.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    this looks like a great program... but my only question is can you do the same with SVCD and if you can what program would do it for me...??
    You win some, and you lose some, and some get rained out...
    Quote Quote  
  3. I have not played around much with some of the additional features, but these are some of them (copied from the help files):
    Music Album - Put a lot of music on CD which you can play on your PC and on a VideoCD/DVD player.
    Photo album - Put your photos or videos on CD which you can play on your PC and on a VideoCD/DVD player.
    interactive SVCD - Create a Super Video CD including navigation, menus, videos and still images.
    there is a tutorial on VIDEO PACK 5 - CHAPTERING which has a very similar interface to winoncd, located at this address http://www.coyote01.freeserve.co.uk/video_pack_5.htm
    Quote Quote  
  4. @mustang581

I just got VideoPack 5 and it looks to be pretty good. I checked out that tutorial and it looks great, would you happen to have anymore Video Pack 5 tutorials? Maybe for creating somewhat complex menus?
    PlaiBoi
    Quote Quote  
  5. PlaiBoi, sorry but I just pointed to that video pack tutorial as a reference. that is not my website.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    mustang581,

Will you show us how to create VCD's with menu using the latest WinONCD 6.0 DVD Edition ?

Thanks
    Quote Quote