VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I have two external burners that I hook up to both USB ports on my laptop. The one on top , when I plug it in, it reads the "F" drive. The USB port on the bottom, when I plug in the second burner is labelled the "G" drive.

Now, after two years, something happened, where they are switched! The bottom one reads 'G' drive and the top is now 'F' drive. I'm really confused and want to make sure that nothing is wrong with my computer, but I don't know why it reads them backwards now. They still burn fine, but I just find it odd.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I imagine at some point one of the drives failed to boot and Windows re-lettered the drives. Happens at times. If both work properly, no real problem. You could R click on your 'Computer' on the start tab, then select 'Manage>Storage>Disk Management (Local)' then R click on one of the drives and select 'Change Drive Letter and Paths'. Sometimes this is necessary if your drives are designated by some programs for burning.

Or just change the pointers in your programs to point to the correct drive.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When you change the drive letter, both of them cannot be the same letter at the same time. So, change G: to X:, then F: to G:, then X: to F:.

This re-lettering on removable drives is really a fairly common occurrence.
    ICBM target coordinates:
    26° 14' 10.16"N -- 80° 16' 0.91"W
    Quote Quote  
  4. The lettering has nothing whatsoever to do with the particular USB port or its location, drives are simply lettered in the order they are detected. Nothing at all odd or unusual, in fact what IS odd is that with two external drives on a portable PC, nothing similar has happened before this.
    Quote Quote