VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I was wondering if anyone knows of a blu-ray player that supports wmv files (VC-1) with WMA Pro 5.1 surround audio?

The video is the easy part, I find it difficult to find any sort of player not made by Microsoft that support WMA Pro 5.1 audio.

Some of the player I've looked at state WMV support, but nothing more specific than that.

Please reply if you have actually experienced/own/owned a player that support it.

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I found that most devices if the support WMV do not support WMV Pro 5.1. The only device that can do this (That I know of) is the xbox 360. You can get one used for about $160.

I even had a hard time finding programs that would convert videos to WMV Pro. The best software I found is Freemake video converter. It quick supports the VC-1 and wma pro 5.1 and most of all it's free.

Good luck
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yup, already use the Xbox 360, that's the reason I have all the WMVHD files... Seems to the only thing that the Xbox will play well.

Maybe I can help you out! I use this: http://www.microsoft.com/expression/products/EncoderPro_Overview.aspx

To create all my wmv files. Its free and will register any third party codecs you install. I have Haali media splitter and an AC3 codec so it accepts m2ts files and some mkvs I have.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You are extremely unlikely to ever find a BluRay player that supports this. You MIGHT be able to find a receiver that supports it in bitstream mode though.

Blame Microsoft for making unfriendly licensing for WMA Pro. If they didn't charge at all or made it very cheap like Fraunhofer has done with MP3 (Fraunhofer's charge is so reasonable there is no compelling reason not to pay it if you are a device manufacturer), more devices would support it. Also, Microsoft has done a very poor job of making it available to users at a low cost.

The Xbox and PS3 have essentially been obsolete as media players for over 5 years now. It's your decision if you want to continue to be painted into a corner with the Xbox, but for a little over $100 (maybe less if you buy used) you could get a very small modern media streamer and put an end to this crazy dependence on WMV/A.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    The Xbox and PS3 have essentially been obsolete as media players for over 5 years now. It's your decision if you want to continue to be painted into a corner with the Xbox, but for a little over $100 (maybe less if you buy used) you could get a very small modern media streamer and put an end to this crazy dependence on WMV/A.
    I would say that this is more of an opinion than a fact.

The Xbox 360 can be a fantastic media player, if it is set up correctly.

Granted it can be poor when used alone with USB or optical media, but connect it to a Windows 7 PC as a Media Center extender and it will play many more formats and is much more versatile than many media players you can find today.

I have been using my Xbox as media center for years, and I have yet to find anything that would make me want to stop using it.

The only thing it wont handle properly is MKV, but i've yet to find anyone who sells those.
    Quote Quote