VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Since this question would come up inevitable, I thought I would get the ball rolling as I'm in the market for a new sound card. My criteria is that I want it to be affordable (not audigy) and would like to be able to capture 5.1 audio or similiar. I have read that the sb live fits this bill, but for unknown reasons sux?? I would love to hear from anyone who just bought a card and what you discovered. Or from anyone else who just knows these things.

thx

My current card is the sounblaster PCI ensoniq which is ok, I have never lost sync in a capture but it is just stereo.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I got the Phillips Achoustic Edge as one of my cards (I also got a mutichannel pro-audeio card for my recording studio 8 in 10 out etc.. but about $1200.00 so you don't wan't that.) Anyhow, my Achoustic edge is greast, its 5.1 analog and digital out sp/dif in, and out, mic in, line in. It will also play any stereo game music etc... in 5.1 instead of mirroring frt speaks in rear if you have 4 or more speakers (It ghosts the centre channel if you have 4) I've never had a synch problem capping with it, knock on wood. Its only like 50 bucks. Most reviews I read put it in league with the upper end soundblaster lives and audigy1's but without taking 2 irq's, ans without the problems associated with vid capping that some people get. Check it out. Read somereviews at sharkyextreme and Anantech etc... even I think Tomshardware had one if I remember.

Sean
    We all like Sheep have gone astray...
    Quote Quote  
  3. I have been looking at the Acoustic Edge also. quigon, how is the audio quality?

Also I have been looking at the Hercules Fortissimo III ($48 shipped at newegg.com) or the M-Audio Revolution 7.1 ($99 @ Compusa)

These three cards seem to be some of the top non-Creative cards. Also the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz but I dont like it.

The Fortissimo III also comes in a flavor called Digifire that has 2 firewire ports.

I have not used any of these cards.

the M-Audio and the Hercules are both 7.1 cards but can also be used for 5.1, 6.1, 4.1, 2.1 etc.

The M-Audio is 24bit/192khz so it should have much better quality.
    Quote Quote  
  4. "I have been looking at the Acoustic Edge also. quigon, how is the audio quality?"

Excellent for a low cost sound card IMO. I do my captures with a SB Live and it also works well.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I really love the sound quality of my Achoustic Edge. My captures sound fab IMHO. However considering the price if I where to purchase now I would take a good look at the 7.1 Herculese cards, especially the Digifire, kill 2 birds with 1 stone. But do to the fact that the Acoustic Edge does not duplicate the front stereo in the rear speakers but turns stereo into 5.1 I have a major softspot for it mainly cause I have no use for 7.1 at the moment. But unfortunatly sound is a very subjective thing where it's mostly opinion. Being in the recording industry so to say, though my studio is really a spare time thing I've found sound to be subjective to the point of being very agitating ie what I like may not be what John Doe likes...

Sean
    We all like Sheep have gone astray...
    Quote Quote