VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I got Queen - A Night At The Opera dvd-a recently, and I want to rip the PCM tracks so I can listen to on my pc without dvd. So far, I:
    1.) Demuxed pcm using Stream Processing
    2.) Renamed .wav to .pcm
    3.) Opened in Cool Edit Pro

This is where I hit a snag. As you know, PCM is raw audio data, no headers means lots of guessing. Smartripper told me it was 96kHz, and 24-bit. So I opened with all the 32-bit (float) settings. When I opened as a 32-bit IEEE Float (0.24), it was solid noise, but in backgroud faintly and above normal speed, it was playing softly. ALl other settings gave just noise except one. The 24-bit packed Motorola PCM gave me complete noise on the left-channel, and right-channel perfect sound (the way it's suppose to be). I tried to off-set the data reading to see if that fixed other channel, but it turned both channels to noise. Did I hit the end of the road, or does someone know something I don't?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Shouldn't you open it with normal 96kHz/24bit pcm settings because that is what your pcm file is? Also is this pcm track the real dvd-audio portion or is it from the dvd-video. Because many times, I believe because I know the specifications allow for it, dvd-a is encoded with a lossless compression called MLP. So, if it is MLP encoded, you will need an MLP decoder which will probably cost a good sum of money.
    Quote Quote  
  3. No, its from DVD-Video part, I skipped the MLP and DTS and went straight for PCM. Also, there are no plain 24-bit modes. There are the 32bit IEEE Float modes, then an Intel packed and Motorola packed 24bit mode. Intel didn't give me nothing, motorola gave me one channel, as I said.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Just came across something. I tried Intel packed 24-bit with an offset of +1, and it gave me left channel perfect and right channel noise, and I pieced 2 different channels together. I then found out that they are same channel, not separate ones. Again, any help at all would be nice.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Why did you rename the .wav to .pcm? Smartripper might add the correct wav headers.
    Quote Quote  
  6. When it opened as a wav, it opened as a 48kHz and 16 bit, which gave me nothing but noise also. I'll see if I can change any settings to get it to open as a wav tho.

EDIT: still nothing
    Quote Quote  
  7. Anyone know how to change values in a wav header? The header is tricking program into thinkin it is a 48kHz 16 bit file, is there anyway I can correct it to 96kHz 24 bit. Or perhaps does anyone know how to strip the header off, it may be messing up the sync when I open as a .pcm
    Quote Quote  
  8. if you dont have a 24 bit sound card you cannot play it back without reencoding to 16bit
    Quote Quote