VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Question:

I'm trying to encode "The Skulls" to SVCD.
    Source is a PAL DVD 16:9 (reported by DVD2AVI)....

my way of working:
    1)create DVD2AVI project (no sound, added later)
    2)convert .vdr to .avi
    3) load AVI into VDUB to add subtitles (NO resizing filter is used in vdub)
    4) frameserve to TmpegEnc 12h...and load KalEl SVCD PAL template(480x576)...

Now: I've tried setting the aspect ratio (under videostream settings) in TmpgEnc to both 16:9 and 4:3...
    No matter which one I choose the aspect ratio is always wrong (people have suddenly lost weight and have grown quite a bit hehe)....

Now for once and for all? Which setting must I use in TmpgEnc for PAL 16:9 DVD....or what resize-settings must I use in virtual dub?

And please keep it simple..I'm getting nuts already now

thnx ppl
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Tmpgenc preview won't always give accurate preview. Encode 1000 frames and play back full screen as this will show essentially how it will look on tv. Full screen(preserve aspect ratio) in Tmpgenc is often best for dvd.

Set source to 16:9 and output to 4:3.

Matt
    Quote Quote  
  3. you have to pick both the correct source and output aspect ratio. source should be 16:9 if that's what you ripped. output should be 4:3 525 line. choose "center - keep aspect ratio" as the 'video arrange method, and i think that'll take care of it. if not, retry a 30 second clip with either the 'full-screen keep aspect ratio' setting.

is the output wrong on a pioneer player? if so, search for my posts about SDE tags in the MPEG headers. some TMPG versions set the playback size of SVCDs wrong, and they get shown at a 12% vertical stretch. the PAL template may be ok though, but in the NTSC SVCD templates (open as text files) and change the lines "MPEG.Display.Height= ( )" to =480, and the MPEG.Display.Width to 480 as well. for PAL set the Height to 576. there's also a tool called "fix12c" that can change these flags without re-encoding.
    Quote Quote