VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6
FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Thread
  1. I'm wanting to keep all the features of the disc (which i did with dvd2one) but even when i try custom level and set all the levels to their lowest without removing any extra's it's just the same.
    I could dance with you till the cows came home..... on second thoughts i'd rather dance with the cows till you came home.

Rufus T. Firefly (Groucho Marx)
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by wonderuss
    I'm wanting to keep all the features of the disc (which i did with dvd2one) but even when i try custom level and set all the levels to their lowest without removing any extra's it's just the same.
    Well you could just make one or two of the extras a still picture but then if you want all the extras intact that goes out the window. Maybe DVD95 is a better choice for you.

Also what I would like to see in DVDshrink is a global compression adjustment for all the extras and then have the program automatically make the adjustment so the final file size is 4.38GB exactly (sort of like DVD2one already does).
    Quote Quote  
  3. that would be a good idea for a future update but for now i think i'll use dvd2one for the big ones
    I could dance with you till the cows came home..... on second thoughts i'd rather dance with the cows till you came home.

Rufus T. Firefly (Groucho Marx)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Tried out DVDShrink last night and I was reasonably impressed. (incredibly impressed when the price is considered). It worked well, compression looked ok (comparable to DVD2One) and I liked being able to author the dvd and especially the ability to trim credits easily etc. For a free app, it is wonderful!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Problems with DVD shrink has anyone had problems with pixilation and movie jumping a frame or two I have done nine movies and burned with Nero I have also used DVD2one with no probs any ideas what I may be doing wrong because it is a very good program .
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by mrbass
    Originally Posted by CGI Wizard
    OK,
    actually expecting the quallity to be bad because of the level 4 compression, but quality was fine.
    that about sums it up....to each their own. I avoid Level 3 and Level 4 personally.

the levels also have to do with the length(size) of the movie and other features...for instance a movie said on level 3 that compression was 35% but after taking out somethings (commentary, credits, etc.) the same level 3 compression was only at 24%. that is 11% difference at the same level 3 compression.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I love DVD shrink but will have to say after trying all the software(except DVD95copy) Instant copy is much better it does exactly what I want, True it is slow but sometime you have to sacrafice speed for quality. You cant get any better in quality then IC.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by mysterio1
    I love DVD shrink but will have to say after trying all the software(except DVD95copy) Instant copy is much better it does exactly what I want, True it is slow but sometime you have to sacrafice speed for quality. You cant get any better in quality then IC.
    i agree as far as ease of use vs functionality. it is very simple and works very well and is not that expensive. but there are better tools as have been mentioned many times....CCE or TEMPGNC are MUCH better are re-encoding the video...but i dont even bother anymore because of how easy the new wave of products have made it. i know most agree.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    dvd shrink
    very good did harry potter 2 just over 7 gb kept all the extras quality is very good wel folks whats going to be the next program to challenge
    dvd shrink because this is the fastest one i have used what about you lot
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by denbo
    Problems with DVD shrink has anyone had problems with pixilation and movie jumping a frame or two I have done nine movies and burned with Nero I have also used DVD2one with no probs any ideas what I may be doing wrong because it is a very good program .
    When you compress a movie by too much, especially with a transcoder, you are going to get macroblocks. What alot of people have noticed about DVD Shrink is that these macroblocks appear to jump around, and disappear and reappear. This is because DVD Shrink does not compress all frames like other transcoders, it only compresses certain types of frames depending on your levels setting. So on a low setting it will only compress B frames. So as you are watching the movie, all of the I and P frames will literally be identical to the original DVD, but the B frames may be heavily compressed, with macroblocks appearing as a result. This is why you get those jumping macroblocks.

As far as frames skipping, this shouldn't happen. This may be Nero's fault, in my opinion it does not author DVDs very well at all. If you continue to use DVD Shrink I recommend you use IMGTools to create an .iso and then burn with DVD Decryptor.

I'm not a fan of transcoders personally, but this is a very nice free tool. I sometimes use it for particularized purposes. If you want the best quality, however, than you are going to have to use an encoder. So if you are not willing to manually re-encode than InstantCopy is probably your best bet, for now.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I tried the application just for fun and managed to get a double sided DVD onto a single sided DVD+RW. For burning I used Roxy Easy CD Creator (Basic Edition) by dragging the complete VIDEO_TS directory as a data file. So far so good. It worked fine on my PC (Media Player started with the menu etc) however when I tried the disc in one of my standalone players I failed. One gave me an error code back (which of course is not mentioned in the manuals ) the other simply said "This is not a video disc. Replace or erase..."

Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  12. I made Harry Potter 2 with DvDShrink and level compression 3, i select only main movie and english to fit in a 4.7 burned with PrassiPrimo, the copy have parts of the movie that "Freeze" for about 6-10 seconds (the counter on the dvd still count normal) then begin to play again normaly.
    What is the problem ? i read 2 post above this that waxman do this movie with no problems.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Rolf,

I've tried burnig with Roxio that way and it doesn't work. Try buring your VODEO_TS files with something else.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hey guys I am having the biggest problem with this dvd shrink. everytime I put the folder in nero 5.5.10.20 it says can not burn because no ifo or bup files but I see them in the folder
    anybody knows whats up
    Quote Quote  
  15. Burn with any other software like prassi primo
    Quote Quote  
  16. hi this is my first post on here so be gentle lol
    im new to dvd so i thought i would try dvd shrink i did tomb raider
    disc is 7.3gig just the movie wich cam out as 3.4gig ish it was so quick
    and the quality was the dogs bo***** onl thing was when i watched the movie wich i own the original so there it poped up with subtitles and
    i dont now how to do it without subs any answers would be much apreciated
    cheers
    Quote Quote  
  17. I am a relative newbie to DVD authoring etc. When I read the front page this morning, I was a bit skeptical. Boy, was I wrong!

I popped Sleepy Hollow into my DVD-ROM and followed the directions. Sleepy Hollow clocked in at 7.78GB. Again, I'm a newbie and will have to play with re-authoring etc. I just used the re-coding button R1. The total amount of time to create a 4.3GB folder was 80min. After the folder completion, I used Ulead Movie Factory 2.0. Total amount of time used was 15min.

Then, I used the DVD-ROM to play the DVD with PowerDVD. The picture looked identical, almost. Some pixelation was noticable after the Mandalay tiger sequence.

Afterward, I played the DVD on the standalone Toshiba SD3750. The picture still contained slight pixelation but it's hardly noticeable. I equate the picture quality to a digital cable feed. The other standalone tested on was the Sony DVP-755. There definitely was more pixelation but I don't have a S-video line connected, no biggie.

Overall, it's an exceptional program. Time to backup another DVD, thanks vcdhelp!
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by nickw
    Overall, it's an exceptional program. Time to backup another DVD, thanks vcdhelp!
    Actually you have DVDShrink to thank for this awesome -- and free -- program. We anxiously await for DVDShrink's return from vacation so s/he can start improving this already superb app.
    Quote Quote  
  19. I've been using DVD SHRINK for over a week now. I've backup'd 65+ of my own DVD's. By and large this app is the KILLER backup app.

Only on very few DVD's does my backup's skip on my Norcent DP-300 DVD player, but overall...the copies are verbatim.

It's ironic, but WIRED magazine predicted that this kind of ease in backing up a DVD wouldn't happen for awhile.

It's happening NOW!

DVDSHRINK IS THE APP OF THE YEAR!

- Kubrick
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Kubrick
    I've been using DVD SHRINK for over a week now. I've backup'd 65+ of my own DVD's. By and large this app is the KILLER backup app.
    Wow.

So lets say 9 days. Thats almost 7 1/2 hours a day!
    Figure a 30 minute lunch and you got 9 days at full time.

But since anything over 5 days in a row is overtime, thats equal to 6 more full time days for a total of 11 days!

What a workalcoholic!
    I don't have a bad attitude...
    Life has a bad attitude!
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by leebo
    Originally Posted by Kubrick
    I've been using DVD SHRINK for over a week now. I've backup'd 65+ of my own DVD's. By and large this app is the KILLER backup app.
    Wow.

So lets say 9 days. Thats almost 7 1/2 hours a day!
    Figure a 30 minute lunch and you got 9 days at full time.

But since anything over 5 days in a row is overtime, thats equal to 6 more full time days for a total of 11 days!

What a workalcoholic!

Lol,

My roomate helped divvy up the tasks. Also, since my PC has a DVD player and burner seperate, the system was able to do two things at the same time.

Mainly, since I work from home...I would just visit my PC every 40+ minutes and do a basic disc swap/DVD-R. While asleep (since I work graveyard), my roomy would be on daytime burning details!

In essence though...DVDSHRINK is now officially 'battle tested'. It's an incredible app.

Revolutionary to be precise.

- Kubrick
    Quote Quote  
  22. I find myself using DVDshrink over the other programs. I think it's because it's so fast and the quality is pretty darn good for what it does.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vesterlee
    hey guys I am having the biggest problem with this dvd shrink. everytime I put the folder in nero 5.5.10.20 it says can not burn because no ifo or bup files but I see them in the folder
    anybody knows whats up
    Put everything in a folder and name it VIDEO_TS. Drag that folder into Nero and open it. It should burn then.
    Quote Quote  
  24. How do you backup a series DVD, ala The Sopranos, using DVD Shrink? I only see the option for selecting one stream, but maybe I missed something. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

surferr
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by Surferr
    How do you backup a series DVD, ala The Sopranos, using DVD Shrink? I only see the option for selecting one stream, but maybe I missed something. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

surferr
    try reencode and not re-author

but not sure if 4 ep of 1 hours each will fit on a single DVDr
    Quote Quote  
  26. Stupid question follows: Ok, so how do I get my movie from DVDSHRINK back to something I can watch on my dvd-player? In other words, what burning program(s) is most-often used with it? (See, told ya it was stupid.)

I have the Sony 500A burner, and it does a really fine job of churning out coasters with most of the edit&burn software I've thrown at it. Would kinda like to do something else now, however. Have found the Ulead MovieFactory Demo seems to work well with burning my DV-camera stuff, and am anxious to venture out into the world and play like everyone else.

I'm just about to go back and refurb my old Super-8 movie camera/projector (guess I really dated myself there, huh?) and start taking movies that way again. I'm getting sooooo discouraged chasing the latest video-rainbows all over the place, only to find out there's a glitch in the path that makes the process really buggy, or I don't have the knowledge to perform open-heart surgery or brain-transplant on my pc to make it all work.

I just want something simple (yeah, I know) and reliable (yeah, yeah, yeah, ok). What is most-often used as the next step to put it back on a dvd, after one has used DVDSHRINK to 'capture' a movie ?

Help?
    Quote Quote  
  27. Ronbo--

I'm not sure I follow your train of thought...was all that DV camera and Super 8 stuff just an aside or what? DVDShrink has nothing to do with capturing video from a source like that -- it's for backing up DVDs that you own...

I have the Sony 500UL w/ the 1.0f firmware and I use the bundled RecordNow for most all of my DVD burning and -- knock on wood -- no problems yet. I have DVDShrink copy the DVD files into a VIDEO_TS folder, and then I create an empty AUDIO_TS folder, and then burn those 2 folders to DVD using the RecordNow "data disc" wizard.

But if you have questions about capturing your own footage, then you picked the wrong thread...
    Quote Quote  
  28. Karate Media -

Yeah, guess I did kinda get off-track a bit there. My thrust was to ask what y'all use to burn the files from DVDSHRINK back to dvd. Wanted to hear what did work for the particular application of using it for backup of my dvd's. Sounds like RecordNow is the ticket, but that the latest Nero may work too. I'd followed the thread to this point, but it didn't always say what was used in the next-on step, and wanted to be able to clarify in my mind.

I got off on the tangent because I'm sort of gun-shy from getting the latest 'Whatever Software' package, only to find that it needed major updates/tweaks/patches or just plain didn't do as advertised when I was trying to use it to do something, etc.

Thanks for answering my question, and allowing me to explain.

R
    Quote Quote  
  29. I'm fairly new to this DVD backing up, but I've successfully used DVD Decrypter and Instant Copy quite effectively for the last few weeks (with my Sony DRU500AX), no coasters so far.

I tried DVD Shrink a few days ago with Spiderman (UK version) and it came up with a cyclic redundacy error... I've since used it with two other discs (Sixth Sense and another which I can't remember) and they were both fine. However, I tried to use it Lord of the Rings (UK version) tonight and I get the same issue that I have with Spiderman.

Both these discs play fine on all players and pc's in the house, so I don't think its a dirty/damaged disc that someone suggested it might be.

Any ideas anyone???

Kyorin
    Quote Quote  
  30. Retired from video stuff MackemX's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=506825#506825

has anyone seen DVDCopyDecrypter which is exactly the same as DVDShrink?
    Quote Quote