VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Create a still picture XVCD with continuous background music.

This guide describes the creation of an image XVCD with high resolution pictures and continuous background music by using MovieXone, TMPGEnc and VCDEasy. Therefore a MPEG movie will be created with a very low frame rate per second which allows to offer a maximum image resolution at a minimum file size. This method allows picture shows with continuous background music of several hours duration with up to 1000 images on one normal CD.
    It is in fact a complete other method than described in my previous guide about Generating a still picture VCD with sound comments which allows now continuous background music.

1 Restriction

Even if I have not identified until now a DVD-player not capable to play this XVCD I expect troubles on several DVD-players because this method is far away from a standard VCD. The main disadvantage of this method is the missing navigation through the slide show (neither by creating chapters nor by fast forward or backward functions).
    I tested this method until now on Cyberhome DVD CH 505 and Mustek DVD-V 562.
    A second problem is the fact that I have not found until now a PC media-player which is able to play the MPEG-files on a PC in a correct way what makes the verification of the CD authoring a little bit more difficult.

2 Start situation

You have prepared several picture files and one or more background music files.
    I assume that all pictures have square pixels with an aspect ratio of 4:3 which is valid for the most digital pictures generated on a PC or by a digital camera.
    I described here the configuration for PAL.
    Additionally MovieXone, TMPGEnc and VCDEasy are downloaded and installed.

3 Generate a slide show as a Windows-AVI-file with MovieXone

To generate the slide show you have to open MovieXone and to create a new animation. A window opens where you should select the Page tab.

(1) I recommend to adjust a picture size of 768x576 square pixel to avoid to much calculation time for the generation of the slide show.
    (2) Select square pixel.
    (3) Select the time tab.

(4) Select custom frame rate.
    (5) Set the frame rate to 1 frame per second (To avoid too much calculation time on your PC). You should be careful with frame rates below 1 fps. My MovieXone version crashes at this situation.
    (6) Press OK to confirm the adjustments for the new animation.
    Now open in Tools the Option menu and select the General tab:

(7) Make sure that a Sound Sampling Rate of 44.1 KHz is selected.
    (8) Select the Objects tab.

(9) Adjust the default duration time for each slide. I set here the time to 20 sec but you can choose of course another value.
    (10) Press OK to confirm your adjustments of MovieXOne.
    Now you can generate your slide show by moving your picture into the video track and moving the music into the audio track.
    After you have finished the definition of the slide show you should enter the Render setup menu and select the format tab.

(11) Select the Microsoft Video (AVI) format.
    (12) Adjust the same picture size as you have previously defined in (1)
    (13) Set the minimum possible frame rate. At my example I chose to show every 20s one picture why I adjusted 0.05 frame/s (= 1 Frame per 20s). If you have chosen to show every 5s or a multiple of 5s one picture then you should set the frame rate to 0.2 frame/s and so on.
    (14) Press OK to confirm you rendering settings.
    Now you should render your complete slide show and you will receive an AVI-file with your slide show what you can run on the Windows Media player for verification.

4 Generate a Video MPEG-Stream from the AVI-Slide show

(1) Open TMPEGEnc and select your generated AVI-Slide show as Video and Audio source.

(2) Select the Stream type System (Video+Audio).
    (3) Specifiy the name of your mpg-Video stream file.
    (4) Define now the setting of the mpg-Video stream.

(5) In the Video tab select the Stream type 'MPEG-1 Video'.
    (6) Choose for PAL a size of 720x576 pixel.
    (7) Adjust the aspect ratio of 4:3 for the PAL system.
    (8) Adjust the Frame rate by pressing the 'Setting' button.

(9) Adjust a base of 25 fps for PAL in the new opened frame rate window.
    (10) Define now a divider to obtain a frame rate as adjusted for the AVI-file. Here the value 500 results into a frame rate of 0.05 fps (1 Picture per 20s).
    (11) Press OK to adjust the frame rate.
    (12) Select the 'Constant quality (CQ)' Rate control mode.
    (13) Adjust the Constant quality Rate control mode by pressing the 'Setting' button

(14) I recommend to set the highest quality even for large slide shows. With the highest quality it is still possible to bring a slide show with several hundreds pictures and a few hours duration on one normal CD.
    (15) Set the Maximum bitrate to 3500 Kbit/sec to obtain the maximum picture quality. Some DVD-Player are not capable to handle this bitrate.
    (16) Set the Minimum bitrate to 0 Kbit/sec to avoid padding.
    (17) Confirm now the setting of the Rate control mode by pressing OK.
    Now select the Advanced tab of MPEG Setting.

(18) Select the source aspect ratio of 1:1 for square pixel sources.
    (19) The TV is not able to show all pixels on the screen. The border of the picture will be cropped by the TV. To avoid missing parts on the screen I recommend to make the picture a little bit smaller to obtain a complete picture on TV. Therefore you should select the 'Center (custom size)' Video arrange Method.
    (20) At this example I made the size about 8% smaller (for 4% TV cropping) which fits perfectly on my TV-set. In my previous mentioned guide I uploaded a test picture to measure the cropping by your TV-set.
    Now select the GOP structure tab:

(21) Select GOPs with only one I picture.
    (22) Add to every GOP one sequence header (only necessary for chapters)
    (23) Set the size of GOPs to one frame.
    Now select the Audio tab:

(24) Select the Stream type 'MPEG-1 Audio Layer II'.
    (25) Adjust a Sampling frequency of 44.1 Khz.
    (26) Set the Channel mode according your source AVI-file.
    (27) Adjust the bit rate for the Audio track. I recommend for mono 192 KBit/s and for the other channel modes either 224 or 384 KBits/s.
    (28) For compatibility reason check also 'Error protection'.
    (29) Press now OK to confirm the settings of your MPEG-Video stream file.
    (30) Press now the Start button to obtain your MPEG-Video stream file. Unfortunately this file cannot be played correctly by the most media players on the PC. The Windows media player shows for example the images but the sound is interrupted, some other players crashes.
    If somebody has found a media player able to play such MPEG-Files I would appreciate it if he informs us about this player by a short reply to this guide.

4 Author the XVCD

The last step is now very simple. Open VCD-Easy and make the following settings in the main window:

(1) Choose either Vcd1.1 or Vcd2.0. VCD2.0 is needed if you want to embed the slide shows in a menu system.
    (2) Specify the name of your XVCD.
    (3) Add the MPEG-Video stream files to your project. There may occur some warning messages if you have checked the analysis of MPEG-files. You can ignore these messages.
    (4) Press Go and wait until your XVCD is ready.

Tip: Avoid MPEG-Video-Streams with a long duration time. The DVD-player where I tested the above described methods are not able to navigate within these files even if chapters are defined. If you try to navigate then you have normally to start the MPEG-track from the very beginning!

If you are testing this method I would appreciate it, if you response to this guide by telling us on which DVD-players this mechanism works or not.

I hope you are successful with this description and enjoy the result.

Jürgen
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Nice guide but where can i get MovieXone? Its supposed to be freeware but i cant find it anywhere!
    Spence.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In the meantime MovieXOne is unfortunately not any more freeware. But there are other tools available which can convert jpg-images into an AVI-stream. You can use for example the SlideShow Movie Maker at the following side: http://www.joern-thiemann.de/tools/index.html

Jürgen
    Quote Quote