VideoHelp Forum

Poll: How much would you pay for a good DVD authoring program?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Nothing, It comes with my superdrive!

Poll submitted by kitty
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Around $500 for Vegas Video and DVD Arch. is a pretty good deal plus you get 5.1 ac3 encoding.

If only I had all that money back from purchasing ReelDVD

I'm awaiting DVDLab for less than $100.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Actualy would settle for both a non crashing program and one that does what they claim!
    Quote Quote  
  4. with dvd95copy dvd2one and ic. why do you really need authoring program? i guess if you are working with downloaed movies and you are putting them on dvd then you would need a authoring program.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i think it depends on the features. i'm willing to pay anywhere from $50 to $200 if its worth it.
    His name was MackemX

What kind of a man are you? The guy is unconscious in a coma and you don't have the guts to kiss his girlfriend?
    Quote Quote  
  6. I voted 350-500 but i need to clarify that....

It would have to be able to handle several things that most apps these days can't seem to do....

It would have to support animated menu transitions, audio and subtitle selection by menu, full support for all Dolby Digital and DTS formats (5.1 and 6.1 stuff) MPEG audio as well as LPCM. Text/Title effects to be able to add titles to your own videos in the authoring program... the ability to NOT re-encode already compliant streams or even non-compliant streams if you choose to leave them as is, selective re-encoding only on stuff you've added transitions or text to etc, so it only re-encodes the GOP's that are changed and leaves the rest alone....

Basically I want a full featured video editing software combined with DVD authoring package that would allow me to do everything commercial DVD's are capable of.... for that I'd pay the 350 to 500 range =P
    We will either find a way or make one - Hannibal
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It would appear that most people want a free ride! Or, if that 35% that want it for free are half joking, we may assume that 50~60% would want an authoring program at less than $100. Sounds a bit slim. Or could happen, once everybody get their own DVD writer and start authoring programs. But then, most of those people would feel nice with programs like MyDVD or DVDIt, or something. Still slim...
    The more I learn, the more I come to realize how little it is I know.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the new adobe authoring app will be very popular as will DVDA version 2 , both out this summer --

the "nothing" field .. hmmm well ..

tgpo says it came with his superdrive but forgets the cost is certainly buried in there
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by BJ_M
    tgpo says it came with his superdrive but forgets the cost is certainly buried in there
    buried shmuried It's free...I swear.....

okay so there is a cost, but out of sight out of mind
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have to say that companies who used to gouge the public with application prices (Adobe, Sonic)
    should get real and look at DVD applications realistically.
    I think the utilities should cost around $50.00
    and the Authoring shoud cost $50 to $100.00
    Who's gonna buy REEL DVD at 999.00 or DVD studio Pro for $999?
    corporations only!
    and that sucks
    These companies stand to make enormous profits even at my suggested prices
    Quote Quote  
  11. At one time I'dve said 300-500 bucks, but then after getting Maestro for free, though it cost me an Uncle (He died, we burried him, I got his PC and Most of his software) I'd say I ain't sure. I don't think I could be without Maestro and it powers, but I'd never have the 25grand it went for, heck I ain't got 25 cents cause I don't work. I'll tell ya the Maestro almost gave me a nervouse breakdown. I couldn't find the manual at his house, probably at work with his partner but thats okay, I got the disc. Anyway, the "Dongle" is what drove me nuts. I've been a techie pc nerd for many-o-moons, but my only experience with professional level software was in the auto repair buiseness, and all our major apps had to have a "Dongle", but they were always called a "Key" by the software people we delt with. As far as I knew a dongle was cable for you tv out function of a video card. I finnaly figured it out and liked to shoot myself, but figured without a manual I'd be soon back in that possition soon enough. Wrong I was, while I was out one day my younger brother bought a printer but forgot the cable. Knowing I use my printer like twice a year he helped himself to mine, and couldn't remember where he put the "Adapter"? I had as he didn't need it, but would buy a new one for me. After my mom stopped me from strangling him, (I think he turned purple before she got my hands off from around his throat) I made him tear appart his room till he found it. I thought I'd get to use my AK-47 for more than target practice.(Yes besides pcs and video editing, I'm formost a redneck, who loves guns as much as girls) But that worked out, and now a little over a year later I finnaly found the manual to Maestro online in pdf form so that worked out. I just gotta talk myself into printing all 688 pages out then punching them to put in a 3ring binder. That thing is 18.8 Megs.
    Anyway I really couldn't say what I'd pay unless in that situation.

Sean
    We all like Sheep have gone astray...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    <edited>

.Do NOT advocate warez
    Laserdiscs are cool, but laserdiscs on DVD-Rs are cooler.
    Quote Quote