VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Articles/Specific.asp?ArticleHeadline=CeBIT+2003+Show+...erage&index=10

"This is the first drive among those offered by Plextor able to record disks that are both compressed and encrypted. According to Plextor, with the new "GigaRec" compression up to 1.4x times the typical CD-ROM capacity can be achieved by squeezing the pits on a burned disk to their limits. This means that one can record up to 1Gbytes of data, or the equivalent of about 110 minutes of audio, by using the now widely in use standard 80min/700MB media."

"This is made possible by driving existing technology to its limits. Squeezing more pits at the same spiral length of a disk means that the reading drive will have to slow down the disk rotation accordingly. In the extreme case of reading the outer part of a disk this means that the linear velocity of the disk above the pick-up will be below 1.2 meters/feet, the lowest allowable according to red-book standards for 1x playback. However, most readers, and even the not-so-old consumer players, are able to playback a disk at least at 2x speed (anti-shock). Consequently, this is not a problem when playing back a compressed disk at a higher than 1x speed."

I know I'm keeping an eye out for this once it hits. I don't know how compatible it will be, but I would still love to try it none the less.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Why bother with a limited adaptation when you got DVDR!?
    Bravoxena
    Quote Quote  
  3. Far too goddamn old now EddyH's Avatar
    Soul sucking suburbia! But a different part since I last logged on.
    Search Comp PM
    Anyone remember DDCD?

It's gonna crash and burn - it may be able to use 80m blanks, but never mind the writing, how READABLE are these discs? Money goes on 50% of home systems suddenly having another CDRW-style allegic reaction and not being able to play any of those 110 minutes of audio.
    Stick with 99m media
    Or 120 minute audio cassettes if you can still find them!
    -= She sez there's ants in the carpet, dirty little monsters! =-
    Back after a long time away, mainly because I now need to start making up vidcapped DVDRs for work and I haven't a clue where to start any more!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Most drive read the CDs burned with the drive.
    Its very compatible.
    And they are doing a DVDWriter that holds a shitload.

Think, blu laser + plextor + xcd + overburning.

enough space to fit uncompressed video.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Bravoxena
    Why bother with a limited adaptation when you got DVDR!?
    Same argument can go for why use VCD when you can SVCD. Certain situations call for certain measures.

Being reading is my main concern. If my Apex can read them, that'd be great. Encoding a SVCD from Divx that I really do not care to keep, burn onto disc, watch, toss. Personally I do not seeing this taking off or working with most drives as you guys have mentioned.
    Quote Quote