VideoHelp Forum

Poll: I Mainly Buy Region...

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Region 1
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Isn't region 7 for inflight only
    or is that 8?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    8....but I had the room so I put it on there anyway.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    1: U.S., Canada, U.S. Territories
    2: Japan, Europe, South Africa, and Middle East (including Egypt)
    3: Southeast Asia and East Asia (including Hong Kong)
    4: Australia, New Zealand, Pacific Islands, Central America, Mexico, South America, and the Caribbean
    5: Eastern Europe (Former Soviet Union), Indian subcontinent, Africa, North Korea, and Mongolia
    6: China
    7: Reserved
    8: Special international venues (airplanes, cruise ships, etc.)
    Quote Quote  
  5. I Mostly buy Region 1, but i've got alot of Region 2 now days as well
    Email me for faster replies!

Best Regards,
    Sefy Levy,
    Certified Computer Technician.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Someone voted 7...I wonder where they live.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I always take an extra carry-on back to Hong Kong with me, gotta put all those rare anime in something p
    To Be, Or, Not To Be, That, Is The Gazorgan Plan
    Quote Quote  
  8. I think region coding is rediculous.Region 7 might be prison.
    BTW...tgpo do you have a link to your magical mystery random region encode software?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MOVIEGEEK
    I think region coding is rediculous.Region 7 might be prison.
    BTW...tgpo do you have a link to your magical mystery random region encode software?
    I'm working on it now. I'll post it here. It'll be coming out the same time that Star Wars comes to DVD......not in this lifetime.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Whats the point in region encoding anyway. Is there a technical reason why its necessary? Or is it just there to stop us getting DVD's at cheaper prices from abroad?

Also, if I send someone in New Zealand (Region 5) and I live in Britian (Region 2), a VCD to play on their DVD player, will the region difference be a problem.

Matt
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Most people don't burn Region Codes in VCDs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mattscholey
    Whats the point in region encoding anyway. Is there a technical reason why its necessary? Or is it just there to stop us getting DVD's at cheaper prices from abroad?
    i think that's it.
    His name was MackemX

What kind of a man are you? The guy is unconscious in a coma and you don't have the guts to kiss his girlfriend?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Australia recently succeeded from the region encoding.
    Their congress said because their country had been unfairly lumped with South America (mostly latin) they didn't get the extras 2 and 1 were getting so they told citizens they were free to buy any region
    Yay AUSSIES
    Quote Quote  
  14. 1 and 2(from japan)
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    From what I understand, the region coding is so they can control the release of movies. Due to many different holiday seasons around the world (school holidays included) they work out when the best time to release a movie to the masses is....hence a movie can be released on DVD in the states while it is still being shown in cinemas here in Australia. IF you do a worldwide release on DVD for a movie then it can harm box office takings because we might be able to get the DVD rather than go to the cinema.

Not that it matters for us Aussies anymore (and it is pronounced Ozzies BTW 8)) since the ACCC ruled that region coding limits consumer rights......
    "Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely pointless."

Bartman 8)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i'm thinking about movie to land down under just for that. its bs for companies to decide when i can watch a particular movie. take hero, for instance, it came out last november in theaters in china. last month, it came out on dvd there. yet, it won't be released in theaters in the US til november '03. that's if it even comes out here.
    His name was MackemX

What kind of a man are you? The guy is unconscious in a coma and you don't have the guts to kiss his girlfriend?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Back in the day I bought a LD player JUST to get anime LDs from Japan (which cost a lot btw). When DVD came out and this whole region nonsense was announced I knew I had to get a region free player. If you read reports on the subject it turns out that 50% of players in Europe are region free.

The whole point isn't just to control release of titles, but to sell distrubution rights as well. Remember how I said that Japanese LDs (and now) DVDs cost more than US releases. The 'classic' example of this (LD) was AD Police Files. IN Japan it was released on 4 CAV discs for about $50/ea. But in the US all for EPS were placed on 2 CLV discs for $30. So a fair number of people in Japan just bought the US verison.

The same is true with video games.
    Quote Quote  
  18. I am from India. I voted 'Region 1' as these form 90% of my collection (total 35 as of date). However what I buy depends upon the region I am visiting. DVDs available in India (Hindi plus Hollywood) are region free. I wonder whether they are legitimate (esp. the Hollywood movies).

Region Coding is nonsense as all major Hollywood movies have a world premiere and are released within two or three weeks in most countries. DVDs are generally released four to six months after the movie is released in the US. So what’s the big fuss about? By this time most countries have had the theatrical release anyway.
    *** My computer can beat me at chess, but is no match when it comes to kick-boxing. ***
    Quote Quote  
  19. I mainly buy Region 2 (even though they are more exspensive, come out later and have less extras on them!!) because I don't believe in loosing 20% of the picture to the NTSC low definition system! Long live PAL 625.

The reason for region coding is to stagger the release of movie titles throughout the world. Hollywood films are normally release first in America, then in the UK and finally in mainland Europe. A lot of times the DVD is out in the US before the film has even hit the cinemas in the UK.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Region coding has also helped US Syndicated Television shows as of late, it's what has allowed TV shows to be released on DVD's in Europe and Australia etc long before they come out in the US, since it would be very difficult to sell a show into syndication (at current syndication pricing) if it were going to be out on DVD 6 months after the season ended.

But really Region coding is all about control, which really I don't care one way or the other, region free players with internal PAL <-> NTSC conversion just mean you have to order some things from out of country, I'd say almost all of my movie collection is region 1, and most of my TV show collection is region 2 or 2&4
    We will either find a way or make one - Hannibal
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Region 4 and Region 1. Anyway, the region codes don't really mean anything to me. It's ridiculous.
    Quote Quote