VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've finally got my DVD Rom so have started playing around with ripping DVDs to SVCDs, now looking at the various guides around on the net there seem to be a great number of different ways, starting from simple only using 3 programs to the complex using 10+ programs.

I was wondering why?

Why do some guides rip everything too seperate files, why rip the audio to a seperate file? Why run through the deinterlace process? Why rip to d2v first? Why rip to avi when all you want to do is make a mpg2?

It seems the more i read the more confusing it gets.

Can anyone explain these things too me or point me towards an idiots guide?

Thanks
    Furble
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As everything in life - things can get confusing.

As for the many ways to do rip,convert, encode etc. this is basically because people have different standards. Some people want to add extras, include subtitles, have 2 or more different languages on a disk, some want a menu, others want moving clips as thumbnails - thats why you get the diversity.

Another reason for going about rips etc. is that not every DVD player is as the other. Some require you to de-mux, re-mux seperately as they have sync problems afterwards, other DVD Players don't have these problems.

If your new to all of this you should start with the simpliest way (I think that would be Smartripper-->DVD2AVI-->TMPGEnc-->burner program) and work your way up as you too will want more and more.

Hope this has helped you somewhat.
    Quote Quote  
  3. also chkout the newbie guides at http://www.doom9.org. very well written.
    Quote Quote