VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Thread
  1. Folks,

I have just posted DVDINFO V0.30 to the web site.

MAJOR CHANGE:

Due to the fact that the new non APSI code could not operate on Windows 95, 98 and ME. The ASPI code has been replaced but only for those operating systems.

If NT or later is found the non-aspi routines are used. If earlier versions of windows are used then the aspi routines are used instead.

Due to this fact, external drives of the USB or FIREWIRE kind are not supported on Windows 95, 98 or ME only scsi or atapi drives are supported.

NT and Later continue to support external drives.

Please test this new version and report any problems directly to me or here in this forum.

cheers
    nicw
    nicw
    Quote Quote  
  2. I've finally used DVDINFO on my Ritek medias but DVDINFO doesn't work for my drives. I tried on both my writer (LF-D311) and my reader Samsung SD-616T w/o success.
    Here's the info I get:

-------------------------------
    Media Information
    Drive doesn't support media code
    Book Type DVD-R
    Media type DVD-R
    Max Read Rate 10.08Mbps?
    Linear Density 0.267um/bit
    No of Layers 1

--------------------------------
    Drive Information
    MATSHITADVD-RAM LF-D310
    09/03/02
    Firmware Revision A127
    User Region changes left 4
    Vendor Region changes left 4
    Drive is set to Region 1
    Drive Region has been set
    Drive conforms to RPC-2
    Drive supports CD-ROM read
    Drive supports DVD-ROM read
    Drive supports DVD-R write
    Drive supports DVD-RAM write

-------------------------------- Drive Information
    SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-616T
    DEL
    Firmware Revision F308
    User Region changes left 4
    Vendor Region changes left 4
    Drive is set to Region 1
    Drive Region has been set
    Drive conforms to RPC-2
    Drive supports CD-ROM read
    Drive supports DVD-ROM read

------------------------------

Media Information
    Drive doesn't support media code
    Book Type DVD-R
    Media type DVD-R
    Max Read Rate 10.08Mbps?
    Linear Density 0.267um/bit
    No of Layers 1

-------------------------------------

When I click the Settings button I get this message from M$:

AppName: dvdinfo.exe AppVer: 1.0.0.1 ModName: ntdll.dll
    ModVer: 5.1.2600.1106 Offset: 0000178d

Is there something I can do for this or should I just wait until I buy
    the soon to be released DVD writer from LITE-ON.
    Where ever you go... there you are...in dvdland
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by DvdHeader
    I've finally used DVDINFO on my Ritek medias but DVDINFO doesn't work for my drives. I tried on both my writer (LF-D311) and my reader Samsung SD-616T w/o success.
    Here's the info I get:
    SNIP....
    Your drives do not support the command required to fetch the media info.
    When I click the Settings button I get this message from M$:
    AppName: dvdinfo.exe AppVer: 1.0.0.1 ModName: ntdll.dll
    ModVer: 5.1.2600.1106 Offset: 0000178d
    have you tried the latest (V0.30) version?? There are no known problems with the settings dialog at this time. I would need more info to track this down.
    Is there something I can do for this or should I just wait until I buy
    the soon to be released DVD writer from LITE-ON.
    If you mean about the command to read meda?

1. Complain to the manufacturer and request a new firmware that supports the MMC spec 0Eh command. (point them to my application)
    2. Make sure your next purchase does.
    3. Wait for me to try and find another way to get this info if at all possible

cheers
    nicw
    nicw
    Quote Quote  
  4. Folks,

There is a new home page for DVDINFO now.

Download link is unchanged.
    http://www.nicsoft.com.au/download/dvdinfo.zip

Home page is:
    http://www.nicsoft.com.au/dvdinfo.html

cheers
    nicw
    nicw
    Quote Quote  
  5. @nicw

1- I sent an e-mail to the manufacturer concerning their lack of support concerning the command in question.

2- I used the 0.25 version. I will download your latest version and try with it.

3- Hope you find something about this.
    Where ever you go... there you are...in dvdland
    Quote Quote  
  6. http://www.nicsoft.com.au/download/dvdinfo.zip goes to version 0.28 (which didn't work good for me) and the download link @ http://www.nicsoft.com.au/dvdinfo.html goes to movieplay_eval.exe
    Quote Quote  
  7. Sorry for the incorrect link and wrong version that went up.

I have corrected the web site and the zip.

cheers
    nicw
    nicw
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    nicw,

just out of curiosity, having read the posting that the non-ASPI version didn't work on non NT-based OSs, what NT specific functionality (API calls or dlls) do you use for the program?

Again, thanks and congratulations for all that apparently hard and fast work you've been putting into the tool.
    The more I learn, the more I come to realize how little it is I know.
    Quote Quote  
  9. hi,

Hi the main API giving me grief for non NT based os's is the CreateFile() API, under NT based OS's it will take parameters such as A: B: C: etc for all drives, where under 95 style os's it only accepts a virtual device driver.

I then use this 'file' in the DeviceIOControl() API to send direct scsi commands to the device.

In the end it was just easier to re-add back in aspi for 95/98/me style windows.

Hope this answers your question.

BTW V0.31 should be out sometime today and main addition is ability to erase DVD-RW, DVD+RW and CD-RW.

cheers
    nicw
    nicw
    Quote Quote  
  10. Folks,

I have just posted V0.31 of DVDINFO.

Changes:
    1. Added “Always on top” settings. It defaults to off.
    2. Changed EJECT so it Ejects or Closes the door dending on current state.
    3. Updated doc file for new graphic buttons and options etc.
    4 Added ERASE button for DVD-RW and CD-RW erasing.
    5.Fixes, improved error handling.
    6.Fixed crash when no devices found.
    7.Fixed incorrect profile data on a lot of CDR drives.

I need assistance on DVD+RW. Does anyone know how to quick erase a DVD+RW? I am finding more and more that the plus system does not seem to always adhere to the MMC specification, and I seem to spend three times the amount of programming time on plus compatibility than I do for the minus system and its very frustrating. If anyone can assist in the commands required to quick erase a DVD+RW I would be grateful.

cheers
    nicw
    nicw
    Quote Quote  
  11. A DVD+RW does not need to be quick erased because you can directly overwrite it. So there is really no need for a quick erase function for DVD+RW although some burning apps still have the function (but I have never used it). Anyway not the most important function so I think you can skip it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by -jsl-
    A DVD+RW does not need to be quick erased because you can directly overwrite it. So there is really no need for a quick erase function for DVD+RW although some burning apps still have the function (but I have never used it). Anyway not the most important function so I think you can skip it.
    I agree. "Quick-Erasing" a DVD+RW takes something like 11 seconds with Nero and SONY. Actually an erase is being made, as the contents previously stored are not accecible any longer.

nicw,

if adding a certain piece of functionality takes you too much, ignore it. Especially if it's not critical. BTW, a nice addition, if you can manage it, would be able to erase "corrupt" CR-RWs. What do I mean? I have found that if during a CD-RW erase something goes wrong (also during write, but not that often), then the RW becomes useless. I have managed to recover a couple of such coaster candidates by tricking the recorder s/w by placing a good CD-RW initially and removing it just before the erase process started with the corrupt one. (with Winoncd some months ago). I suspect that some error results (e.g. CD-RW not readable) cause the s/w to abort. So, the trick might be prompting the user that "The CD-RW is giving errors, do you want to try to erase it anyway?" I think this might save a few otherwise useless CD-RWs.

By the way, I have never "managed" to destroy a DVD-RW or +RW by crashes amidst recording. I even managed to play the first portion of the crashed recorded disk on the standalone player, before the DVD player got confused by the previous contents and started playing rubbish.
    The more I learn, the more I come to realize how little it is I know.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by -jsl-
    A DVD+RW does not need to be quick erased because you can directly overwrite it. So there is really no need for a quick erase function for DVD+RW although some burning apps still have the function (but I have never used it). Anyway not the most important function so I think you can skip it.
    I do not agree. Quick formatting any disc is useful, for anyone who may not want to leave RW's around with information on they would rather not be easily seen.

I have found so far that the + recorders do not support a blanking command so they need to be quick formatted instead. Minus recorders not only support the blank command but also support a very fast way of quick formatting which I will be adding in to a version soon, as soon as I have finished the + quick format.

Interesting about the CDRW, I would like to know what happens with the program the way it is, as once you have confirmed erase, I do no further checking the command is passed to the burner.

regards
    nicw
    nicw
    Quote Quote  
  14. Folks,

DVDINFO V0.32 has been released to the web site for testing.

I require testing on DVD+RW and feedback please.

I have added a "Fast Format" option for DVD+RW to overcome the inability to blank them. As I do not have a plus burner is mostly theory, so i added a "Fast Format" option for DVD-RW to, and as its 99% the same it is tested and works, so I expect the + one to work too.

I also correct a bug for Windows 95, 98, ME that caused early termination of program unexpectedly.

Please test and report ASAP,

cheers
    nicw
    nicw
    Quote Quote  
  15. I get "DVD+RW not yet supported" when trying to fast format a DVD+RW with version 0.32.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Yep there are problems I am working on it. New routine is not working properly on +RW yet.

cheers
    nicw
    nicw
    Quote Quote  
  17. Folks,

I have released a test version of DVDINFO V0.36

DVD+RW Fast Format and Full Erase have been re-enabled for testing.

On the test unit a Ricoh 5125a took 35 seconds in Fast mode and 24 mins in full mode to do the format/erase.

Please test and report your findings.

cheers
    nicw
    nicw
    Quote Quote  
  18. Folks,

I have changed/improved the dvd/cd drive capabilities display in dvdinfo. It seemed that in some cases the drives were not MMC compliant and or the firmware were reporting features they did not contain.

The new version (V0.38 beta) is up on the site, and tries to filter out incorrect types.

I have also added/changed the DVD+RW fast format routine and it needs testing. I have only had access to a single plus unit so far Ricoh 5125a and it works fine and takes about 35 seconds. I am still looking for a faster way as it seems that plus drives do not support the 'blank' command of the minus drives.

Currently I am doing a quick format and I have not found a way to speed it up yet, there must be other ways I am still investigating, but not having a plus drive here makes it considerably harder.

Download it from my website. http://www.nicsoft.com.au/dvdinfo.html

regards
    Nic
    nicw
    Quote Quote  
  19. Folks,

I have just posted V0.42 of DVDINFO.

Changes:

1. Altered the Media ID in “Media Info” for DVD-RW drives, to give a concatenated version string ID too like Nero does.
    2. Fixed the shorted serial number string.
    3. Removed the incorrect “no disc” error and replaced with sense code.
    4. Corrected missing first line of sense error display.
    5. Aligned the sense error fields for easier reading.

I am looking for a 'safe' method of detecting if a drive is SCSI or ATAPI and if MMC compliant. I was using the existence of MODE SENSE page 2A
    which seemed to work fine, but SCSI drives are doing a bus reset when they receive this command. Any help anyone can give would be appreciated.

cheers
    nicw
    nicw
    Quote Quote  
  20. nicw,
    I've not had opportunity to test the latest version of your software on my external Sony. But I just wanted to convey some accolades for your efforts in developing this tool. You have incorporated most, if not all of the good, constructive suggestions. In reading through this thread, you have developed a great piece of software. Dude, where do you find the time, it seems like every day you're banging out a new rev, and freeware nonetheless. We need a standing ovation smiley.

You do realize what we're going to ask for next, don't you? RecordNow UBERNICW, with the ability to burn any media at 4x

Again, great work, and keep it up!
    Quote Quote  
  21. Thanks for this! Just got the lastest and it works great.
    Quote Quote  
  22. nicw, I tried it again and it is still not working on my DVD-ROM. Tell me again what do you need from me ? Version that I am running now is 0.44

What kind of media should I try first ? Empty DVD-R or Full DVD-R or +R or -RW ?
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by donpedro
    nicw, I tried it again and it is still not working on my DVD-ROM. Tell me again what do you need from me ? Version that I am running now is 0.44

What kind of media should I try first ? Empty DVD-R or Full DVD-R or +R or -RW ?
    Lets start again so there is no confusion. What exactly is not working? Previous posts of yours have had pasted output so something is working

1. What drive are we referring to?
    2. What type of drive is this. ROM, DVD-RW, DVD+RW etc.
    3. What exactly does not work?

cheers
    nicw
    nicw
    Quote Quote  
  24. I am trying to get man.ID from DVD disk. How do I do that ? When I am using empty DVD-R, it gives me message "No disc in the selected drive".

My DVD-ROM is
    TEAC DV-28E-B firm.rev. 7.2A (in laptop Toshiba Tecra 9000)
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by donpedro
    I am trying to get man.ID from DVD disk. How do I do that ? When I am using empty DVD-R, it gives me message "No disc in the selected drive".

My DVD-ROM is
    That has been a bit of a problem lately. Try download V0.45 up on site now and see it it corrects that problem.

cheers
    nicw
    nicw
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by donpedro
    I am trying to get man.ID from DVD disk. How do I do that ? When I am using empty DVD-R, it gives me message "No disc in the selected drive".

My DVD-ROM is
    Keep in mind though that for DVD-R or DVD-RW it will only work if your DVD-ROM drive supports the 0E command which most don't

cheers
    nicw
    nicw
    Quote Quote  
  27. Folks,

I have just released V0.46 of DVDINFO.

This release fixes a MAJOR bug that could cause many errors.

Recent Changes:
    1. Fixed a major bug that could cause errors where there were no errors.
    2. Fixed a major bug where the returned sense errors could be meaningless instead of correct values.
    3. Copy to clipboard now removes any lines of empty data, so the clipboard only lines that contain valid data.
    4. Removed the “Please choose an advanced command first” error when using clipboard, so now the all displays can be copied to clipboard.
    5. Fixed a corruption with the clipboard if a sense error was generated by HEX or DATA and copied to clipboard.
    6.Added a percentage progress indicator when formatting or erasing. NOTE: some drives may not support and and it may not increment.
    7. Added graphical buttons to the lower three clipboard, hex and ascii.
    8. Fixed Correct alignment errors for those using larger than 96DPI
    9. Better alignment on DVD-R/RW media id, when it is less than 12 bytes long
    10.Altered the Media ID in “Media Info” for DVD-RW drives, to give a concatenated version string ID too like Nero does.
    11. Added a serial number display to the hardware info page, for drives that support it.
    12. Added a detection some region hacked firmwares.
    13. Added detection of DVD-R V2.2 4x in “Media info” display.

Enjoy

cheers
    nicw
    nicw
    Quote Quote  
  28. I have just released V0.46 of DVDINFO.

This release fixes a MAJOR bug that could cause many errors.

Recent Changes:
    1. Fixed a major bug that could cause errors where there were no errors.
    2. Fixed a major bug where the returned sense errors could be meaningless instead of correct values.
    3. Copy to clipboard now removes any lines of empty data, so the clipboard only lines that contain valid data.
    4. Removed the “Please choose an advanced command first” error when using clipboard, so now the all displays can be copied to clipboard.
    5. Fixed a corruption with the clipboard if a sense error was generated by HEX or DATA and copied to clipboard.
    6.Added a percentage progress indicator when formatting or erasing. NOTE: some drives may not support and and it may not increment.
    7. Added graphical buttons to the lower three clipboard, hex and ascii.
    8. Fixed Correct alignment errors for those using larger than 96DPI
    9. Better alignment on DVD-R/RW media id, when it is less than 12 bytes long
    10.Altered the Media ID in “Media Info” for DVD-RW drives, to give a concatenated version string ID too like Nero does.
    11. Added a serial number display to the hardware info page, for drives that support it.
    12. Added a detection some region hacked firmwares.
    13. Added detection of DVD-R V2.2 4x in “Media info” display.
    damn nic..you must of won 1st place on "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" with all the time on your hands! I think i'll just wait to the releases become few and far between, that way my dial up U.S Robotics Modem won't keep beggin' me for Mercy.
    Quote Quote  
  29. damn nic..you must of won 1st place on "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" with all the time on your hands! I think i'll just wait to the releases become few and far between, that way my dial up U.S Robotics Modem won't keep beggin' me for Mercy.
    Betcha can't Betcha gonna just wanna download them to see the changes?

I wish I was rich, but sadly I am not, I rely on donations from folk who use my software. I have a secret weapon that other programmers do not seem to use. Actually I spend very little time programming. Whenever I have a spare second I read and note changes I a want to make. Then when I have a few documented changes I go make em, test what I can then release it, then I go back to doing other things and reading whenever I can.

cheers
    nicw
    nicw
    Quote Quote  
  30. Just wonder if you still have the same download site? When I go to it now it still say V.41 (newest version) on web site. Aren't you on like 46??? Just wondering....Great proggie though..
    Quote Quote