VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nicw
    Err, it does, works on every dvd-rom I have tried so far.

what version are you running?

nicw
    Worked with 0.2. Will update my dvd media list with your tool
    https://www.videohelp.com/dvdmediaform.php?advdinfo=1#advdinfo
    Quote Quote  
  2. Nicw,
    Just downloaded your proggie, First let me say. GREAT program. Looks good AND works great.

Just a couple of suggestions, or comments: Would it be possible to put a APPLY button on the skin selection so you can see the skin before closing and then having to re-open? No big deal just asking. Second what about a way to show drives max read/write speed? Or maybe it already does, but I haven't searched enough.
    Anyway, SUper program, thanks..Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    How about a button for "complete media id/code" as -jsl- describes? If dvd-r/w it checks the 0e and if dvd+rw it checks the 00.
    Quote Quote  
  4. baldrick, jsl,

I am really not sure what you mean. If I am missing something please explain.

All the info you request can already be obtained via the 00 or 0E commands depending on the drive and then copied from the clipboard, it can also be fetched via the 'media info" button on any drive and copied from the clipboard.

so I an unsure what info you are requesting?

nicw
    nicw
    Quote Quote  
  5. Well it was just a thought to make it a bit more user friendly.

How it works now:

1. You need to know that the command for getting the complete media info for DVD-R/RW is "0E-Prerecorded info in lead-in" and for DVD+R/RW "00-Physical format information".

2. You need to select this command in the long list 20+ different commands.

3. You need to click the ASCII data button.

4. You need to click the copy to clipboard button.

5. To add the info to the media list you need to remove all the lines in the end with zeros in the hex data to get the "complete media code".

My suggestion:

1. Click on a button called "Complete media ID" or something like that. DVDInfo then automatically shows the ASCII data for "0E-Prerecorded info in lead-in" if it's a DVD-R/RW media and for "00-Physical format information" if it's a DVD+R/RW media but only the lines with data until the first line with zeros in the hex data.

2. Click the copy to clipboard button and you get the complete media code directly (without all the lines in the end with zeros in the hex data).

I think this will be one of the most used function in your program so I just thought that it would be nice if it was a little bit easier to get this info.
    Quote Quote  
  6. jsl,

It seems like a reasonable request, so I will do it.

Some questions though.

1. The "complete media code" as you put it, where is this structure defined, as I would like to know what each byte is. I have only found definitions for MID and VER within that data, and byte 35 seems to be media type. but not the whole section you outlined in the + media.

2. What amount of data do you want shown for the minus media?

I will place the new command at the top of the drop down list so its the default option, you can then show is as ascii or hex with the normal buttons and if that command is current then I will crop the clipboard at that place.

cheers
    nicw
    nicw
    Quote Quote  
  7. jsl and others.

Your wish has been granted.

I have just uploaded V0.22 of DVDINFO.

changes are.

1. Complete media Code command added to list, this command crops data to 3 lines for minus and 4 lines for plus. Clipboard is also clipped.
    2. Moved 46h to top of list and renamed to Get Configuration Data.
    3. Made a sub-heading for other commands called "READ_DVD_STRUCT COMANDS" and moved all relevant commands under it.
    4. Fixed a bug in 46h not showing enough data.
    5. Fixed a bug that could cause a 5 second delay if error on media button.

cheers
    nicw
    nicw
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thanks nicw, I really appreciate your hard work (and that you have implemented all my ideas )!

The only thing I can remark on now are a couple of small graphical glitches:
    With the default skin you can see some pink pixels at the left side of the window and when the hand is shown (when the mouse is over a button) there is a black pixel slightly to the right of the hand.
    Quote Quote  
  9. jsl,

thanks once again I missed both of those. I have fixed them both and they will appear in the next version which will be V0.23.

I will release it sometime tonight or maybe tomorrow. Use the check for update in the about menu to tell you when its available.

cheers
    nicw
    nicw
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by -jsl-
    Originally Posted by StudeBarc
    Yo tjtoed,
    PS Just use the "DVD Media Info" button for information, the 0E command won't work with a + media/drive.
    With DVD+R/RW you can use the first 00 - Physical format information to get the complete media information.

But it might be a good idea to have a button for "Complete media code" that shows the ASCII data for "Physical format information" if it's a DVD+R/RW media and the ASCII data for "Prerecorded information in lead-in" if it's a DVD-R/RW media since these commands are not very logical for a new user.

It would be even better if this function for "Complete media code" only displayed all the lines before the first line with zeros in the hex data so you directly can copy the info when you add media to the DVDRHelp's media list (ie like the "Complete media code" described here).
    Originally Posted by simonko
    ADVDinfo is still better.... straight to the point 0E - Gives all the info needed. I dont think people need a fancy skin system anyways it just gives basic info not like the 0E - command in ADVDinfo which tells everything.
    And nicw didn't like my input? but he like -jsl- 's ......
    Quote Quote  
  11. ADVDinfo is still better.... straight to the point 0E - Gives all the info needed. I dont think people need a fancy skin system anyways it just gives basic info not like the 0E - command in ADVDinfo which tells everything.
    I was not that I did not like your input and I apologised if you took it the wrong way, and here you are again challenging it.

I said that you did not provide construtive criticism, all you said was you did not like it and that advdinfo was better, and that mine provided too much info. You did not expand upon that or explain it.

Jsl on the other hand informed me what it was he needed and gave a lot of information and so his request was considered and then implemented.

This demonstrates that if you provide feedback with constructive criticism and information, what changes you would like to see and why, it too will be considered and implemented if reasonable.

Spend your time here being constructive rather than negative and you will get much further, you catch more flies with honey than you do with a fly swat.

cheers
    nicw
    nicw
    Quote Quote  
  12. simonko,

Please remember one thing. Your original post was incorrect.

snip...I dont think people need a fancy skin system anyways it just gives basic info not like the 0E - command in ADVDinfo which tells everything.
    DVDINFO had a function at that time that was equivalent to advdinfo's OE command and gave the same data. It also had a 'decyphered' version that explained that and other data.

jsl, was asking for a cut down version of the OE command that just contained info he wanted for use in creating lists without all the extra like advdinfo and mine had. He also wanted DVD+R/RW compatibility in the one command that advdinfo could not do.

He described to me what he wanted and he got it, and he is very thankful.

cheers
    nicw
    nicw
    Quote Quote  
  13. If skins is you then so be it, kind of like an picture makes and artist, or a signature makes a Dr.. Bottom line the program seems more user friendly than advdinfo. Both work though. Question about the max rate reading. If this accurate, seems to report the same on 1x, 2x and 4 speed disc.

dun4cheap

10.08Mbps

Ritek 4x
    Ritek 2X
    Sony 2X
    Lead Date 2x

All reported 10.08Mbps
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yea, but DVDINFO by nicw actually runs on my PC while aDVDinfo didn't no matter what I tried.

It's not about the bells and whistles, it's about being able to actually use it...

Once again this is a preference, so if aDVDinfo works for you, great, but for those of us that it didn't, this prog is a great thing.

tj
    Use what works for you...
    Quote Quote  
  15. [quote=" Question about the max rate reading. If this accurate, seems to report the same on 1x, 2x and 4 speed disc.
    [/quote]

Little misleading I will correct that. That is the max data rate of the mpg file it supports.

cheers
    nicw
    nicw
    Quote Quote  
  16. Folks,

DVDINFO V0.23 is out and up on the site.

Those who requested max write speed of media, this has been done.

changes are:

1. Added max write speed to media info display.
    2. Added write rotation control type to media info display.
    3. fixed some minor graphical glitches.
    4. small code improvements and minor fixes.

cheers
    nicw
    nicw
    Quote Quote  
  17. Folks,

DVDINFO V0.24 is out and up on the site.

changes:

1. Program now shares devices with other programs.
    2. minor fix in speed calculation.

recent changes are:

1. Added max write speed to media info display.
    2. Added write rotation control type to media info display.
    3. fixed some minor graphical glitches.
    4. small code improvements and minor fixes.

cheers
    nicw
    nicw
    Quote Quote  
  18. The mfr ID for some media is not displayed correct in version 0.24. For example "RICOHJPNW01" is showed as "RICOHJPN W0" where the space is a black square.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by -jsl-
    The mfr ID for some media is not displayed correct in version 0.24. For example "RICOHJPNW01" is showed as "RICOHJPN W0" where the space is a black square.
    Thanks for your continued support and testing. You were correct and I fixed it. I have uploaded V0.25 which has the correction.

ta
    cheers
    nicw
    nicw
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hey nicw,
    I went to the following web site
    http://www.nicsoft.com.au/

and on the link to download DVDINFO, it says it requires ASPI 4.1.7.2. Is this not true now?

tj
    Use what works for you...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    nicw,

I've downloaded the program from your site, using the URL provided.

I don't seem to be able to identify the version of the program as one of the versions discussed around the thread. Right-Clicking on the exe file shows a version number of 1.0.0.1 Have not seen any reference to a 0.20 version. Am I missing something?

Also, I have not installed ASPI at all and the program works (more or less). I am not sure exactly what I am doing so when I execute command code 30h (Disc Control Blocks) on a blank DVD-R I get a response:
    ASPI Command returned:
    Sense 05h Illegal Request
    ASC 24h
    ASCQ 00h

Is the ASPI command response message redundant (you said you have eliminated ASPI). Should I get a response back from an empty DVD?

Otherwise, the program doesn't crash or do other bad things and the looks are nice (as looks). The fact that this works without ASPI is even better.

However, I would rather prefer a tool that executes what interrogation commands can be executed, collects results and presents them like a report (e.g. in notepad).

By the way, executing 0Eh on a blank TDK DVD-R, I got
    00 6A 00 00 01 40 C1 FD 9E D8 50 00 02 58 0E 11 .j...@....P..X..
    98 99 80 00 03 4D 58 4C 20 52 47 00 04 30 31 00 .....MXL RG..01.

I would have expected to see TDK in place of the MXL characters
    Does the MXL sound like Maxell? Is that normal?

Also, to all participants to the thread. Is there information stored regarding the media recording speed? BTW this particular dump above is from a disk that is recorded at 2x on a SONY 500A with f/w 1.0g.

Regards
    The more I learn, the more I come to realize how little it is I know.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Hi nicw, Here I am

Now couple of questions ? Does it support DVD-ROM ? Does it support DVD+RW ? Based on previous posts it should but in my cofiguration (W2000 SP3, Teac DV-28E-B, Imation DVD+RW) it does not work. Any ideas ?

Drive Information
    TEAC DV-28E-B
    Firmware Revision 7.2A
    User Region changes left 4
    Vendor Region changes left 4
    Drive is set to Region 1
    Drive Region has been set
    Drive conforms to RPC-2
    Drive supports CD-ROM read
    Drive supports DVD-ROM read
    Quote Quote  
  23. What key are we supposed to actually click on for media type, etc. When I click on most of them I get this:

ASPI Command returned:
    Sense 81h
    ASC 13h
    ASCQ C9h

Any ideas? Do I have screwed up ASPI Layer?
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by tjtoed
    hey nicw,
    I went to the following web site
    http://www.nicsoft.com.au/

and on the link to download DVDINFO, it says it requires ASPI 4.1.7.2. Is this not true now?

tj
    You are correct. it no longer needs ASPI. Thanks I have corrected the link on the web site.

cheers
    nicw
    nicw
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by SaSi
    nicw,
    I don't seem to be able to identify the version of the program as one of the versions discussed around the thread. Right-Clicking on the exe file shows a version number of 1.0.0.1 Have not seen any reference to a 0.20 version. Am I missing something?
    I started writing only 8 days ago and have been so busy coding I have missed some things. I will update the version number in the exe file. The version number is in two places. 1. In the About Menu Dialog. 2. Since V0.22 its been on main window in the "Welcome" text.
    Also, I have not installed ASPI at all and the program works (more or less). I am not sure exactly what I am doing so when I execute command code 30h (Disc Control Blocks) on a blank DVD-R I get a response:
    ASPI Command returned:
    Sense 05h Illegal Request
    ASC 24h
    ASCQ 00h

Is the ASPI command response message redundant (you said you have eliminated ASPI). Should I get a response back from an empty DVD?
    My mistake and a left over from the aspi days (seems like only yesterday......it was ) I have corrected that in V0.26 which will be out sometime today. The errors are what it returned from the drive whenever a command is issued that causes error. Not all drive support all commands and if they do not work, they are either unsupported or cannot execute for some reason such as missing or non-compatible error.

Otherwise, the program doesn't crash or do other bad things and the looks are nice (as looks). The fact that this works without ASPI is even better.
    After the initial release it became clear that ASPI was a bad way to go, and I coded hard to remove the requirment for aspi while retaining compatibility with many windows versions.
    However, I would rather prefer a tool that executes what interrogation commands can be executed, collects results and presents them like a report (e.g. in notepad).
    I am working as fast as I can, good suggestion I will add to my list of things to consider
    By the way, executing 0Eh on a blank TDK DVD-R, I got
    00 6A 00 00 01 40 C1 FD 9E D8 50 00 02 58 0E 11 .j...@....P..X..
    98 99 80 00 03 4D 58 4C 20 52 47 00 04 30 31 00 .....MXL RG..01.

I would have expected to see TDK in place of the MXL characters
    Does the MXL sound like Maxell? Is that normal?
    That is because obviously TDK did not manufacture that disk. MXL did which as you said is most likely Maxell.
    Also, to all participants to the thread. Is there information stored regarding the media recording speed? BTW this particular dump above is from a disk that is recorded at 2x on a SONY 500A with f/w 1.0g.
    V0.25 onwards detects fastest speed the media can write at and is displayed under the "Media Info" button underneath the main display.

cheers
    nicw
    nicw
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by donpedro
    Hi nicw, Here I am

Now couple of questions ? Does it support DVD-ROM ? Does it support DVD+RW ? Based on previous posts it should but in my cofiguration (W2000 SP3, Teac DV-28E-B, Imation DVD+RW) it does not work. Any ideas ?

Drive Information
    TEAC DV-28E-B
    Firmware Revision 7.2A
    User Region changes left 4
    Vendor Region changes left 4
    Drive is set to Region 1
    Drive Region has been set
    Drive conforms to RPC-2
    Drive supports CD-ROM read
    Drive supports DVD-ROM read
    The program relies on the drive reporting certain commands correcty and all drives I have tried so far seem to. The one above certainly does not seem to be reporting correctly. Please send me a hex/ascii dump.

1. From the drop down list choose "Get Configuration Data(46h)
    2. Click on Copy to Clipboard.
    3. Paste that into a message and send it to me.

I will look over the hex and see what your drive is reporting.

cheers
    nicw

cheers
    nicw
    nicw
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by bdgriff
    What key are we supposed to actually click on for media type, etc. When I click on most of them I get this:

ASPI Command returned:
    Sense 81h
    ASC 13h
    ASCQ C9h

Any ideas? Do I have screwed up ASPI Layer?
    if you are using V0.22 or later (V0.25 is latest) then ASPI is not needed. Not all drives support all commands, and the program as yet does not identify which work and which do not. When a commnand is issued to a drive the drive responds with either success or failure. The failure is then shown by program in the above format. There are hundreds of possibilites and slowly I am adding them in to the program in english aswell as hex.

If your drive is a DVD+R/RW then the media info should always show in on of three ways.

1. Choose "Show Complete Media Code" and choose "Show ascii data"
    2. Or, choose Code 00 - Physical format information" and choose "Show Ascii data.
    3. Click the "Media Info" button.

if your drive is a DVD-R/RW then it **must** support the 0Eh command to be able to read media info and some drives do not support the command.

If it does then you can see media info in one three ways.
    1. Choose "Show Complete Media Code" and choose "Show ascii data"
    2. Or, choose Code 0E - Pre-recorded information in lead in" and choose "Show Ascii data.
    3. Click the "Media Info" button.

hope this helps.

cheers
    nicw
    nicw
    Quote Quote  
  28. Well i cant get the program to work at all for me. All i get is an error message when i try to open the program.

Mike......
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by gl22man
    Well i cant get the program to work at all for me. All i get is an error message when i try to open the program.

Mike......
    Hi Mike,

if you would like to provide me with some more information I may be able to help you. Computer description, os version, summary of extracted files and directories for dvdinfo.

the new non aspi version is still in alpha and while it seems to be working fine on most systems there are obviously some problems with a very few cases, and it would assist to try and pinpoint the problem.

cheers
    nicw
    nicw
    Quote Quote  
  30. Folks,

I have just uploaded V0.26 to the web site.

V0.26 changes:

1. Updated the EXE version fields to contain correct data.
    2. Updated the EXE program information fields with accurate data.
    3 Removed some remaining, un-used aspi remnants.
    4 Advanced commands and simple ones have been separated
    5. Advanced commands list now has a heading “Advanced Commands”
    6. Moved positions of “eject” and “Alter book Type” buttons.
    7. Added Tooltip text to all main window buttons.
    8 Added button skin template to docs/skins/button skin templates dir.
    9. Top row of buttons are now all images with tooltip text.
    10. Added a “load buttons” and “default buttons” to the settings dialog.
    11 Users are now free to make new button graphics to go with their skin.

I would especially like to hear from anyone using Windows 95, 98, ME and NT V4.0 as I am unable to test on these operating systems.

cheers
    nicw
    nicw
    Quote Quote