VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am using Vegas 4.0 to Edit my DV captures. I was wondering what you think is the better(higher quality results) way to encode for DVD: Use Vegas 4.0 built-in MPEG2 encoder and render the output directly to that or should I render the video as an AVI and then use TMPEnc to encode it to MPEG2? (BTW for those of you that are not familiar with Vegas, Vegas uses MainConcept MPEG-2 encoder.)
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    I haven't done extensive head-to-head comparison, but I think the Vegas 4 encoder is very good. Especially when you are doing DVD, the higher bandwidth is more forgiving. It is sure a lot more convenient to just use Vegas
    Quote Quote  
  3. Ofcourse it is more convenient but some tiimes some inconvinince is worth it. That is where i was not certain and was wondering if anyone has compared them. But you have a very good point as far as the bandwidth is concerned and in general Vegas is one of the best i have ever seen so it also makes sense that the encoder is also very good but i just wanted to make sure!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think Vegas uses MainCOncept, which its really fast and gives excellent quality...

Regards,
    Jose Febus
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i use it all the time -- works excellent (vegas 4 encoder) ..

get the update ..

only for High Def or straight from film (origanal source files - not from dvd) do i use other encoders (for the most part).

even then , MC does a great job on High Def
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by BJ_M

get the update ..

What update are you reffering to? I know that MainConcept has a 1.3.1 updtae out for Adobe. Do they also offer an update for Vegas. If so I have not been able to find it, could you post the link? THANKS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    http://www.sonicfoundry.com/download/step2.asp?DID=445

the mpeg encoding and other updates are in the DVDA update

there is a known issue with ac3 encoding still -- will be fixed VERY soon ..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Vegas 4 with MainConcept MPEG encoder plug-in makes great DVD MPEGs for me. I even abandoned CCE, and I don't use TMPGEnc for more than a year.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Allow me to join the bandwagon on Vegas Video. I was having trouble with SpruceUp on WinXP and have always used Tmpgenc. I started playing around with Vegas Video and I am very pleased so far.
    Sonic Foundry has a great reputation for Music Apps and I should have started with them when I started doing video.
    This does sound to me like an all in one (along with DVD Architect) with excellent quality not just some shabby little app. And it handles AC3.

The only problem I am having so far is importing AVI files. Either it doesn't load or it loads and it's all fuzzy. I am using AVI files captured with VDUB (huffy codec) and AVI files (divx and xvid).

THE MORE I PLAY, THE MORE I SAY
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you no longer need to create an intermittant avi to encode with tmpgenc. A frameserver plugin is now available.
    http://www.debugmode.com/pluginpac/frameserver.php
    Quote Quote  
  11. hi,
    this is my first post on this forum (i write from italy, please ignore mistakes), this is the best site if you want to learn something on DV.
    i've compared tmpgenc and vegas 4 with vcd on my standalone dvd player (onkyo), i have to say that vegas wins.
    i still haven't tested on dvd because i'm waiting for the new LG dvd burner (4040b), i've read it will support dvd+/-R, dvd+/- RW, dvd RAM and will be available on june, i look forward.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    wow..I get to be the opposite opinion again..SIGH.

I have Vegas 4.0 and use it literally every single day. It was a step up from Video factory but as far as MPEG 2 encoding, side by side comparison, TMPGenc wins, hands down. There is no question.

Believe me when I say I would LOVE to be able to save steps, go right to MPEG 2 when I encode an not AVI TO AVI TO MPEG 2. I am always seeking the perfect ONE STOP tool. VEgas is close.

I would select no other editor than Vegas ( I have most of them) .

But when rendered, Mainconcept does not handle motions as perfectly a TMPG and tends to blur colors. TMPG is clear, crisp and does interlace as it should.

Do your own test. Take a DV video 5 minute clip.
    Make sure it is colorful, has people motion and vehicle motion.
    By people motion I dont mean talking I mean ACTIVITY.

Encode the AVI with VEGAS. Encode the same with TMPGenc.
    CBR is fine, thats all I use with TMPG.

You will see the difference.

Just my opinion..as I say, I use it every single day and wish it could work as all-in-one.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by arcorob
    wow..I get to be the opposite opinion again..SIGH.

I have Vegas 4.0 and use it literally every single day. It was a step up from Video factory but as far as MPEG 2 encoding, side by side comparison, TMPGenc wins, hands down. There is no question.

Believe me when I say I would LOVE to be able to save steps, go right to MPEG 2 when I encode an not AVI TO AVI TO MPEG 2. I am always seeking the perfect ONE STOP tool. VEgas is close.

I would select no other editor than Vegas ( I have most of them) .

But when rendered, Mainconcept does not handle motions as perfectly a TMPG and tends to blur colors. TMPG is clear, crisp and does interlace as it should.

Do your own test. Take a DV video 5 minute clip.
    Make sure it is colorful, has people motion and vehicle motion.
    By people motion I dont mean talking I mean ACTIVITY.

Encode the AVI with VEGAS. Encode the same with TMPGenc.
    CBR is fine, thats all I use with TMPG.

You will see the difference.

Just my opinion..as I say, I use it every single day and wish it could work as all-in-one.
    the encoder was updated in 4.0b (now 4.0c is out) , though i use an off board mpeg2 encoder also -- but the quality of the on board encoder is very good -- you just have to "tweak it" and is dependent on your project settings .
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Oh yes, you are correct. It is EXCELLENT as an encoder. I guess I should have said that. What I meant though was that side by side, if I rated VEGAS encoding a 9 on a scale of 1 to 10, I have to give the 10 to TMPGenc. Plus, I like the TMPG interface for settings better when encoding. I have reveiwed the ADVANCE setting on Mainconcept and they are not as extensive..Thanks !
    Quote Quote  
  15. The only problem I am having with Vegas Video so far is importing AVI files. Either it doesn't load or it loads and it's all fuzzy. I am using AVI files captured with VDUB (huffy codec) and AVI files (divx and xvid). I haven't really tried to find the problem, this happened last night as i'm new to Vegas. I'm at work now and I thought someone could give me some info on this. Anyone?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    what setting is your preview window -- maybe you are looking it at it in preview mode instead of best or good full ..

maybe your source files are fuzzy ..?

fuzzy wuzzy was a bear, fuzzy wuzzy had no hair ......

just had to write that ...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by arcorob
    Oh yes, you are correct. It is EXCELLENT as an encoder. I guess I should have said that. What I meant though was that side by side, if I rated VEGAS encoding a 9 on a scale of 1 to 10, I have to give the 10 to TMPGenc. Plus, I like the TMPG interface for settings better when encoding. I have reveiwed the ADVANCE setting on Mainconcept and they are not as extensive..Thanks !
    yea tmpgenc is amaizing on all its settings .. only real thing i complaint about it is that you can not set NDF or DF time code , and it time stamps files weird and you can not set offsets .. its filters are really good though and that it has built in features that blow away most everything else..

the main concept STAND ALONE 1.3.1 encoder has a LOT more features than the built in main concept vegas encoder , but by judging from the features they have added to vegas and also looking at the main concept encoder beta for adobe , i suspect you will see another upgrade on the main concept encoder for vegas shortly ..
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by BJ_M
    what setting is your preview window -- maybe you are looking it at it in preview mode instead of best or good full ..
    maybe your source files are fuzzy ..?

fuzzy wuzzy was a bear, fuzzy wuzzy had no hair ......
    just had to write that ...
    I just had to leave that in there.

Thanks for answering, but all i did yesterday when i got home was go right to sleep. I was sick as a dog. I have a bad cold so I couldn't get to play with Vegas last night. No, my source files are not fuzzy. Just to clarify something, the files that are fuzzy (and i mean fuzzy to the point where you can't even see the picture) are the ones i capture with VDub (huffy codec). They have no problem in Tmpgenc.

The Files that don't even load are the .AVI (divx or xvid). Again these are fine with Tmpgenc. I do have the upgrade to 4.0c but i've yet to install it.
    I normally don't upgrade unless i need to. This sounds like i may need to.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    if the files are fine in vdub, avsynth or tmpgnc ---> just frame serve them from one of those programs to vegas ..

you may want to try (when frame serving from v-dub or avsynth) changing the color space to YUV , TMPGenc input is rgb already and may cause a color shift frame serving from it .. i dont know what your source files are so hard to say ..
    Quote Quote  
  20. [quote="BJ_M"]if the files are fine in vdub, avsynth or tmpgnc ---> just frame serve them from one of those programs to vegas ..

I didn't think of that. I'll try it tonight when i get home. Yes, even after how i feel, i still went to work.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Question...
    How long does it take you to encode/render a 2hr movie in TMPGenc and Vegas 4. I have a video I am trying to render in Vegas 4 that is going to take 20hrs to render. I can encode the same video in TMPGenc in 7hrs. The source is a single avi file, I did not add any effects in Vegas. I simple droped the avi onto the time line and rendered as, using the mpeg2 dvd architect widescreen template. In TMPGenc my settings are set to the best quality motion search at dvd spec. The bit rate for both outputs is vbr 4,000 kbps max, 3,500 kbps avg, and 3,000 kbps min.
    If the Apocalypse comes...Beep Me - Buffy
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    vegas rendering should be about 1/2 or less of the time for tmpgenc -- you must of selected best , when in fact that is incorrect and good should have been selected .. or some other adjustment out of whack ..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Does Vegas support CCE for the encoding engine?
    Impossible to see the future is. The Dark Side clouds everything...
    Quote Quote  
  24. BJ_M can you tell me how long a 1 hour avi file should take to encode to DVD mpeg??

My system,

Soyo KT-400 Ultra with AMD XP 2500+
    512 Meg ram

I encoded my frist one the other day (Just getting started in Video Editing, just got a new DV Cam and having a blast so far)

It took 2.5 hour to encode a 1 hour video. and then .5 hour to burn.
    4x dvd Pioneer a105

thanks

Using Vegas Video 4 with DVD Arch 1.0
    Quote Quote  
  25. If you render to AVI first & then use TMPGenc to encode you will be losing some quality as opposed to just rendering directly to MPEG ifrst from Vegas. The Vegas encoder is VERY good & much faster than TMPGenc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy
    Does Vegas support CCE for the encoding engine?

if you frame serve to cce - yes ..

there is a frame server for vegas ..
    Quote Quote  
  27. hmm...
    I did have the render quality set to good...
    would anyone be as so kind to give me some settings that work ok for them, so that i can figure out what is slowing it down?
    If the Apocalypse comes...Beep Me - Buffy
    Quote Quote  
  28. I use Vegas Video everyday and love it. But I the renders aren't as good as tmpgen.
    Quote Quote  
  29. So Vegas has MainConcept engine? If so why don't we use Mainconcept MPG Encoder instead of Vegas? Just wondering...
    Quote Quote