27 3.87%
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Need to be helped as much as possible

Search Comp PM
    i see a lot of newbies wanting to be spoon fed. i see a lot of questions like "how do i put a dvd on a cd?" i think noobs should read up a bit before posting. some do read up and have legitimate problems. those people i have no problems with.
    His name was MackemX

What kind of a man are you? The guy is unconscious in a coma and you don't have the guts to kiss his girlfriend?

3. Need to follow the advice of Conquest10 as well as do some of the following.

Read this:
    https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=124514

and also this:
    https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=78182

If they do both of those and a bit of reading before posting they are 100 times more likely to get a quick, polite and informative response to whatever their question is.

I, and i'm sure others here dont mind helping newbie's as long as they do show that they have put in some effort before posting.

4. I am the last one who will refuse to help someone, but it is sometimes rather
    annoying repeating yourself, when a little search can give the answers, so i'm
    thinking they should first search, then post their question.
    Email me for faster replies!

Best Regards,
    Sefy Levy,
    Certified Computer Technician.

Search Comp PM
    As a so very recent newbie I think sometimes they NEED things spoon fed to them, it can be an overwhelming ammount of information to take it. Other times its just an unwillingness to read. Yet, others seem to have problems searching... I've run into myself, you want a question answered but nothing you can find seems to be exactly what you looking for.

SO I guess its a little of both, they need to read, AND they sometimes need stuff spoon fed to them.

Also it seems lately that the board has gotten a bit more aggressive... this is counter productive as when some newbie threads with a basic questions lead to near flame wars it only makes thing more intemedating. (sp?)

I guess many of use just need to learn to agree to disagree on some things and remember why we are all here...

Oh yeah one more thing: I've noticed that alot of people on the boards lately are not as technically minded as the previous batches... this is because things are getting easier and DVd burners cheaper... its another thing to keep in mind when we feel like our time is being wasted.

Search Comp PM
    I think they need to be helped because we were all newbies at one time but newbies also have to put some time into doing some searching before posting a topic that has already been discussed.

7. Before you ask for help, you gotta try and help yourself, I do my best to try
    and help all those who ask, and believe me I got loads of emails still waiting
    to be replied to

The reason I wrote the guides, was so I can help the newbie's see something
    from their own point of view, and to make it as simple and as straightforward
    as possible, but they gotta try to understand before they ask questions.

Best Regards,
    Sefy Levy,

8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The thing is Nearly all questions that a noob could ask, have all been answered a 100 times before.

Its better to do a search than spend the time just sitting waitng frustrated for an answer

Then they come back with , Ok if know one wants to help me, F&ck it then

But saying that we were all noobs once, And there is no problem that cant be solved, But its easy to think that you will never solve your problem at the time if you don't get an answer right away

My audio is out of synch please please help I'm pulling my hair out

9. It seems (as in all things in life) the knowledge level of 'newbies' (I don't like that term, maybe we should say 'recent members of dvdrhelp.com) varies from those that have just found the PC's power switch to very experienced and intelligent PC users just entering the world of digital video. Their expectations of what this site and the forum members has to offer covers just as wide a range too.

Personally I try and take each new question according to how it is phrased. Sometimes it is obvious the poster needs help tying his shoelaces in the morning, other times you can see the poster has tried to find the answer but has come unstuck. Most come somewhere in between. I tend to adjust my approach accordingly and apply the appropriate level of assistance. Having said all that I too am human and sometimes get p**** with the stupidity of some posters or the lack of effort which is when I tend to be a bit sarcastic rather than helpful.

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Sefy
    The reason I wrote the guides, was so I can help the newbie's see something
    from their own point of view, and to make it as simple and as straightforward
    as possible, but they gotta try to understand before they ask questions.
    the problem with that is that a lot of noobs do not want to read them. they just want the answer to their problem without the hassle of having to read a simple guide. when i first started, i read several of you guides before actually doing anything. so that when i got into it, i already knew what to do. i haven't really had any problems but when i did, i just kept reading. sure as hell, the answers were all in the guides.
    so i'd just like to thank you very much for all your help sefy.
    His name was MackemX

What kind of a man are you? The guy is unconscious in a coma and you don't have the guts to kiss his girlfriend?

11. Thank you! I am glad to hear you found the guides that usefull!

Best Regards,
    Sefy Levy,

12. I really do not mind when some need's help but I hate post like "How do I do this" with out saying what they want to do in the post. Or post like "WHY" or how come this will not work" People should alway post what they need in the header

13. What about "help help!" or the "urgent!!!!" or a combo of "please! help! urgent"

Best Regards,
    Sefy Levy,

14. I think a lot of newbies just play don't read anything. How many times do you see posts saying "I looked through all the guides and the faq but I still can't find any information on how to convert a d/loaded DivX to VCD."

It's pretty clear that they didn't look at the guides at all, because (w/o clicking anything) the convert link states "convert AVI,DV,Divx... to VCD, SVCD, DVD...."

I'm not a video expert but I try to help/answer any questions I can because a lot of people (esp Sefy) helped me when I was a newbie. But some people are just rude and get upset if their posts aren't answered in the next 5min.

15. I'm glad to hear i've helped so many here, feels like I finally managed to
    give some back from what i've learned, and all thanks to Adam and Vitualis
    and Snowmoon, and many others here!

Best Regards,
    Sefy Levy,

16. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, guys,
    I just went to the Index to these forums to do a quick count. There are nearly 400,000 posts on this site. I know lots of you are not noobies, as your joined dates go back anywhere from 2 months to 2 years. That makes it easy to say "Jeez, can't this jerk READ a little bit?" Hey, the thing that most "noobs" come here for are the largest individual sections on the board. Maybe someone got tired of hunting, and hunting, and hunting some more. I mean, if a guy reads for 3 days running, and can't find his answer, would you say he has done his homework, we'll condescend to help him? Or, is one day enough, or should we say, no, you gotta read for seven days?
    I'm no expert. Some of you guys are good, very good. My hat's off to you, guides, answers and all. Others are on my own level, some of your questions are just as dumb as some of my own, and some of mine ARE dumb. ( Maybe I should cut ME a break, and call them naive... nah, they're, sometimes, just plain dumb. )
    Others, even I can help, and I will, without telling them they're too dumb to even own a computer, so quit bothering this august body.
    just my 2 cents. Unless you only want to talk to each other, in a learned way, and the uninitiated just lurk and learn.

17. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Hey,
    One additional comment. A while back I read a post from a guy who had all CAPS in his question, as to how do you get someone to answer a question. He was ignored for a while before a couple guys told him they did not OWE him an answer, just because he posted. That's true in all respects. I've seen no where in the rules that, if you view a message, you are required to give aid. The question is stupid to you, click through.

18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    being a ne member myself, i was at first quite angry that i had to wait 3 days to post. i had searched quite a bit on the website to start off with especially with reagard to capture cards and which ones to buy. but after reading some of the posts i can sympathize with some of the more advanced members as there are quite alot of people posting questions that if they searched a bit they would find the answer.
    with regard to the guides they are helpful but people still require help with them because as has been mention numerous times on the website to new members (i dont like newbie either), everyones set up is different so of course they will need some help.

Peter H

19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think most newbies need to stop being lazy and search for more answers because their questions have probably been answered a thousand times.

20. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    PeterH,
    I stand by my last post.
    No one has a "right" to get po'd at a "stupid" question. If you find it stupid, ignore it. Might I suggest that at some time a new member might not even know which forum he should be looking for info in? This is an outstanding site!!! If you can't get an answer here, there probably isn't an answer. We probably have people ranging from "just got a computer" to professors of Cinemaphotography, and everything in between. Most take things in stride and do their best to help every one.
    Oh, did I mention over 400,000 posts? That is a helluva big haystack to hunt a needle in, 'specially if you don't know what a needle looks like. And that's what it is to some, they don't know what they're looking for, and they're coming here for direction. They don't need a "stupid" hung on 'em. They get some guidance, that leads to some self confidence, and before you know it, some of them are in the ranks of those calling someone asking the very same question "stupid". Could that be that thing called "human nature"?
    George

21. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Puertorican138,
    If I asked a question that's been answered a "thousand times", how long would it take you to find the answer, copy the URL, paste it into a reply? And, you know the answer is in there somewhere, whereas, the new guy (not necessarily new, either) might think it's there, or hope it is, but where?
    I've used the search function myself, and the number of returns is daunting. You start reading a hundred hits, at a minute each, when do you decide it might be easier to ask outright? If you ask outright, and all you get is "Jeez, how stupid....", "Read, you lazy jerk....", maybe they'll leave the site to the guys who ARE true experts, so they can have in depth discussions of esoteric subjects that we peons couldn't possibly begin to comprehend. I mean, we could be discussing the subtle nuances of YYUV, as opposed to YYVU, doncha know.
    George

Search Comp PM
    stop replying to yourself newbie.
    His name was MackemX

23. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Conquest,
    Well, your date IS 2 months before mine, so I guess you can call me that. ( They lost my account from my previous reg, or I did, so I'm not that new, actually.)
    If you look at the headers, I'm replying to others. You guys type so damn much faster than I do, there are 3 more comments by the time I submit. If it really bothers you, though, I think I did mention a couple times that you can always ignore it (me).
    George

Search Comp PM
    well it looks like you should practice what you preach. if you don't like what others are saying, don't reply. just ignore it.
    His name was MackemX

25. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Conquest,
    You're right. I'm ignoring any more of your posts on this thread, tho' I have read some of your others, full enough of info that you don't rate a "Consider the source...".

26. I would have to say they need to research more, however I like helping people as many have helped me. I do though find it adgitating sometimes to see 3 post by 3 differant people the same question 1 after the other in the same forum. I am new to DVD, many have helped me, but befoire I started I read here first been reading here for 4 months or so before registering. Anyhow I read here and afterdawn for about a week after I got my DVD-R and my first rip was SW Ep2 Attack of the Clones, a multi angle DVD-9 I did it with no problems worked first time and didn't post a single question, because between the eccelent guides and posts everything was explained. All the info is there posts I read told me about the angle situation whilst guides showed the rippin compressing and burning steps. I do post questions, and I love to help others. Especially when it is legit questions It is just when you see "How do I rip a DVD" and right next to the box you type that post in is the site menu and one of the selections is "DVD Rip"-[DVD video to VCD,SVCD,DVD...] it's kinda like Helloooooo.... But if they need help by all means ask, even "Experts" run into problems they need help with.

Sean
    We all like Sheep have gone astray...

27. I will always advocate to search the site for answers. Sefy is really a "Guardian Angel". His guides are precise and very informative. I started that way. Once you are armed with the initial ammunition, you are ready for the advanced topics and that is where Q&A comes in.

I will go back to the old saying "God helps those who help themselves"
    *** My computer can beat me at chess, but is no match when it comes to kick-boxing. ***

Search Comp PM
    yeah seeing the same question 3 times on the same subject, in the same forum can be quite annoying... I think its a good thing we have mods here who actually pay attention to their jobs... else this board could get out of hand. With the growth of DVD burners it still just might!

29. well, I'm quite new myself. I tried to do as much as possible on my own, but I've gotta say this site doesn't have a very clear stucture.
    You guys seem to forger how overwhelming this all is to someone who barely knows how to work with video

What I mean is this.
    https://www.videohelp.com/divxtovcd.htm

For two days long I've been searching for this guide. I knew I read it but couldn't find it. Why isn't it in the converting section ??
    And, well, only a couple of days ago I noticed there was somethoing like a "users Guide" section located near the bottom of the forum list.

I mean, someone whos' completely new to all this wants to go through the guides with a little structure and since there is so much to see here, you only vieuw the guides in the green howto section on the left.

I just wanted to say that it's all really overwhelming and I guess most people don't have the patience to go through it alone.

and for the 3 same questions by 3 different people matter. Can't a mod just merge the toppics or something like that ?
    If someone just posts here without looking around first, there's bnot much to prevent that :S

30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Filling out their profile would help!! I recall a specific case where the real problem was his AMD K6-300 CPU, not the techniques.

Come on folks, think about it. Any newbs that can research, and read some guides, generally only post questions like "Is using CQ over 2-pass VBR going to degrade the quality enough to be worth the 3 hour versus 7 hour encode time?" aren't the ones we are complaining about. We all hate the "PLEASE HELP ME I TRIED TO MAKE A VCD OUT OF THIS FILE I DOWNLOADED AND IT WON'T WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" or the ubiquitous "How do i remove the white text that says For Your Consideration"?

Blah, it's the same here as elsewhere. No one want's to learn, that's why all the DVD 2 CD scams from spam work!
    To Be, Or, Not To Be, That, Is The Gazorgan Plan